Trade Idea

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by NattaNerNuttaMan, Jan 24, 2009.

1. NattaNerNuttaMan

NattaNerNuttaMan NattaNerNutta like Spike

Military
    I was just brain storming a deal...since Minnesota is willing to part with Miller for the right price and Portland seems to have needs in two specific areas the Wolves can help fill (namely a shooter who can knock down an open 3 and a perimeter defender) I propose that this deal be......

Portland trades:

Lafrentz (13mil exp. contract)
    Bayless (2mil)
    1st Round pick (conditional)
    ---------------------------------

Minnesota trades:

Mike Miller (9mil a year til 2010)
    Brewer (3mil)
    McCants (3mil)

http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=4946395
    --------------

What Portland gets:

In Miller they get a great shooter who can rebound and pass...not to mention a great lockerroom guy...and his contract ends in time for 2010 offseason. McCants can come off the bench and provide scoring and if he doesn't work out the Blazers can choose not pick up his option and save 3 mil this offseason. Between those two...Portland can get 3point threats to spread the floor. In Brewer they get a great perimeter defender who has serious lockdown potential at a very reasonable price.

What Minnesota gets:

In Bayless they get a young player they want in return for Miller, one who can compete for the starting PG spot (which will make Bayless happy) or, in the mean time be a major offensive option of the bench ...either way...Bayless can almost immediatly see his minutes jump by 10 a game.
    The pick fills the other stipulation that is wanted in a Miller trade. By making it conditional (maybe lottery protected for the first couple years, then unprotected) it doesn't hurt Portland too bad since they will keep thier pick the first couple years if thier young pieces take a lil longer to jell.
    And in LaFrentz, Minnesota just gets out of the contract of Miller a year sooner and can go for a free-agent this year if desired.

Hit me back with feedback...thanks!!! :cheers:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  2. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

We would have 5 SF's with that trade and 3 SG's who deserve time(rudy and mccants off the bench).

Just don't think it works, and I don't think Miller brings us anything more, we already have enough 3 PT shooters.

Brewer is kind of redundant with Batum, and Mccants is redundant with Rudy.

3. NattaNerNuttaMan

Military
    Thanks for the input. I just keep hearing talk off Otlaw or Webster having to pick things up and provide outside shooting...and Miller would be an upgrade...due to his consistency. McCants was kinda just a stop gap since he makes the salaries match and can free up cap space if not resigned. And you can never have too many perimeter defenders...lol...and Brewer still has great upside. In terms of give and take...Portland wouldn't be giving up all that much.

4. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    I don't like Brewer at all. I don't think he has lock-down potential at all. In addition, he has virtually zero offensive game. Batum not only has lock-down potential (and better defense right now than Brewer), he has offensive upside for the future. Brewer wouldn't be a better starter than Batum today, and his future pales in comparison to Batum's.

McCants is a reserve-level player with very little upside as he's already 24 and in his fourth season and hasn't improved measurably since his rookie season. He had a decent season last year (a season where he still wasn't starter-level) and has regressed badly this year.

So, essentially it's Bayless, a first round draft pick and cap space for Mike Miller and junk. Mike Miller is a pretty good, useful player, but certainly not good enough to be worth giving up a high-upside prospect in Bayless, let alone throwing in a first round pick and the team's cap space.

5. number 10

number 10 Our Savior

student
    The Blazers aren't in need of a 3 point shooter, in fact many here want Gerald Wallace, because this team is too jump-shot happy. Miller is also an atrocious defender, and his contract expiring in 2010 is no benefit to the Blazers, who by then won't be players in the free agent market.

No he can't, he has absolutely no trade value right now. If he can't get off the bench for Minnesota, why would he do any better in Portland?
    Portland already has Nicolas Batum, an equal if not better player despite being more than 2 years younger than Brewer.

I would say that Portland's needs are
    - more scoring out of the SF position, without sacrificing defense
    - a talent upgrade at the PG spot, especially defensively
    - a backup PF in the Millsap mold

6. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

I don't know if I would go as far to say Batum has that much better defense than Brewer right now. I think Brewer could become a lock-down potential defender in the future. Why do you think he couldn't?

7. alex42083

alex42083 Thanks Brandon

Writing about sports
    I like Mike Miller. He's what I hope Martell can eventually become on the offensive end, but Webster is a little more superior on the defensive end already.
    I don't think I would give up Bayless though, that's the sticking point. As for the first-round pick, I don't mind parting ways with it in a deal since we don't need another rookie.
    Brewer, though, has been a real disappointment. McCants is an OK backup but certainly they're guys you can find anywhere. As for the deal, I think I'd pass on it in the end.

8. BlayZa

BlayZa Misbehaving responsibly

Media/Advertisng
    what we need a 3 things, although id be happy with getting any of them.

1. a top 10 pg
    2. a sf who can cut to the basket and get to the foul line
    3. a banging backup pf who isnt scared of getting rebounds and being in the paint

ideally something like.... miller, wallace & lee

dunno how it could/would happen but thats what i see us lacking.

ideally somethign like this...

andre miller / bayless
    roy / rudy
    wallace / batum
    lma / lee
    pryz / oden

id prefer to keep outlaw over martell too, so put him in there somewhere :P sergio, webster, lafrentz, frye etc can all ghost

9. bigbailes

bigbailes Well-Known Member

so you're trading Sergio, Webster, LaFrentz, Frye and Ike for Gerald Wallace, Andre Miller and David Lee? i'm guessing we're tossing in Kop and Freeland as well as our next 5 first round draft picks. that still doesn't get these deals done, at least have some base in reality when throwing around trade ideas.

10. NattaNerNuttaMan

Military
    Alright...I've made some revisions to a Blazers/Wolves deal...which oddly enough every one is quick to beat a trade down, but no one can come up with alternate deals...:dunno:...I was hoping to get a GM type vibe going like negotiating...not just...ummm....no....and no solutions...lol.

Anywho...how about this one:

Portland trades:

LaFrentz
    Bayless
    1st Round pick

Minnesota trades:

Miller
    Gomes
    Craig Smith

http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=4946442
    --------------------------

In Gomes, Portland gets a good all round player who can defend PF/SF...a great glue guy who doesn't make many mistakes. And in Smith they get a strong banger inside you does the dirty work and can score on the inside as well. Not to mention that all three players from 'Sota have expiring contract at the end of 2010

any ideas............with solutions and reasons please.....:cheers:

11. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    For starters, try coming up with an idea that doesn't include players we aren't going to deal (Bayless, Rudy, Oden, Roy, Aldridge, Batum).

Pritchard is very high on our young prospects. Bayless is showing flashes of brilliance and looks like he could be our future at the point. He's a perfect fit next to Roy. He's not going anywhere.

Mike Miller, who's averaging 9 ppg, doesn't warrant such a package. His value is at an all-time low so what makes you think you could get anything close to what you're asking for? Raef's contract is very valuable as 80% of it is now covered by insurance. We can certainly land a better player than Miller, let alone adding in a young building block like Bayless.

I just don't think Minnesota/Portland are good trading partners. The Wolves just don't have the assets.

12. NattaNerNuttaMan

Military
    wow...I think your making Bayless to be untouchable, when I don't really think he is as much as an invaluable asset as your trying to show. Thier trying to make the playoffs...if the right pieces in veterans come about, you would be surprised how expendable the young talent they don't use that much will become. I see a serious rash of people overvaluing thier players and thinking they can get back something for nothing. Outside of Oden, Roy & Aldrige I don't think anyone else is untouchable if the right veteran/pieces comes along

And I'd like to see any proof from any GM or coach that wouldn't want Miller on thier team right now and why he is at an alltime low in value...he's coming off an injury. and although his ppg are lower than usual...he's getting them on only about 6-8 shots a game but still avg. 6rpg and 3 asstpg.

13. RayDavies

RayDavies Member

Ugh...

Miller is still a nice player, but I don't think 3 point shooting is really our problem... Defense and points in the paint are what I would want from an upgrade at the wing (G.Wallace would be my ideal).

Brewer has been an absolute bust, not nearly as good as advertised and is now out for the season with a torn ACL, so couldn't help our potential playoff push.

McCants is a very inefficient scorer who refuses to pass in most situations. Where would his minutes at SG come from? Roy? Rudy? Minutes at the 3? He'd be riding the pine in a major way on this team.

I think we might be better off letting RLEC expire instead. I think I value Bayless potential above any of these players, with the possible exception of Miller (Who wouldn't be the perfect fit for POR).

14. number 10

number 10 Our Savior

student
    Our GM has repeatedly said that he wants to "let the cake bake," meaning not trading our young players for a veteran. At the moment, I have no doubts that, due to his potential, Bayless has more trade value than Mike Miller. In terms of fitting in with the rest of the Blazers, Bayless also wins, he's the only player besides Roy who attacks the basket.

Minnesota and Portland aren't good trade partners, and the Wolves don't have (m)any desirable assets outside of Love and Jefferson. Here is my response, but Minnesota gets the short end. You'll probably disagree, but I think that the Wolves need to stockpile talent, regardless of position, so the Blazers would also send them a first rounder and the rights to a couple of ex-first round picks stashed in Europe, Koponen and Freeland. What do you think? (knowing that we consider Bayless more valuable than any players, bar the top 2, the Wolves have)

15. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    I watched Brewer in college and in the NBA and his defense has never impressed me. To me, Brewer is a young Trenton Hassell...an overrated defender and an offensive liability. He is, and will continue to be, a good defender, but his inability to offer any other value makes him someone you don't want on the floor.

16. <-=*PdX*=->

<-=*PdX*=-> RCTID

Yes, but why make one problem Worse(PG) to fix a problem we already have 3 suitors for (Webster, Outlaw, Batum)? That is not the right move to make right now. Bayless is the future PG of this team.

17. NattaNerNuttaMan

Military
    It's not that bad of a proposal...From Minnesota perspective.....I think they would pass...cause they would refuse to pick up Jeffries contract...they want short term contracts. And Charlotte wouldn't do the deal cuz they could get more for Wallace and Felton

18. number 10

number 10 Our Savior

student