Trade Ideas

Discussion in 'Boston Celtics' started by hagrid, May 15, 2004.

1. hagrid

hagrid JBB JustBBall Member

I figured we could talk about some trade possibilities. Give us the good, the bad and the ugly.

If you don't have a source to where you got it from (another site, news release, etc) then PLEASE make it realistic. Unless, that is, you're going to do what I'm about to do and completely bash one you've seen.

I got this gem from the RealGM boards:

The Bad/UGLY

<font color="Purple">Suns</font> get T-Mac and #15 from Boston

<font color="Navy">Orlando </font> gets Pierce and Amare

<font color="DarkGreen">Boston</font> gets Marion and Suns #1, plus Gooden

Have fun with that one and I look forward to any others people will share. Be sure to label them, as I have. Thanks!

2. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting hagrid:</div><div class="quote_post">The Bad/UGLY

<font color="Purple">Suns</font> get T-Mac and #15 from Boston

<font color="Navy">Orlando </font> gets Pierce and Amare

<font color="DarkGreen">Boston</font> gets Marion and Suns #1, plus Gooden</div>

That is actually a pretty good idea and a very possible one at that. However, from a Celtic standpoint, I'd prefer it even more if Boston gets Amare instead of the Suns' #1 and Gooden.

3. hagrid

PHX has already stated that Amare isn't available, so the idea dies right there. [​IMG]

4. Trip

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting hagrid:</div><div class="quote_post">PHX has already stated that Amare isn't available, so the idea dies right there. [​IMG]</div>
    Well, would there be a chance of Phoenix replacing Amare with Carbakapa and Maciej Lampe? I know this is just a fantasy trade but I believe all teams involved would benefit.

5. hagrid

The question is, with PHX already knowing what they have in Amare, why take a chance on those guys being able to fill the void?

From what I understand, PHX is sitting pretty well with cap numbers and can sign most big FA's outright. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about that, but it makes no sense to trade the franchise, when you can just buy him help.

6. Trip

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting hagrid:</div><div class="quote_post">The question is, with PHX already knowing what they have in Amare, why take a chance on those guys being able to fill the void?</div>
    Chances will have to happen, but from that trade idea, T-Mac would be another player to build around. These two could be a future Kobe/Shaq duo. Phoenix has taken risks with trades involved before, such as when Jason Kidd was traded for Stephon Marbury. They have a knack for making shocking trades, and what part of this idea is not shocking?

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">From what I understand, PHX is sitting pretty well with cap numbers and can sign most big FA's outright. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about that, but it makes no sense to trade the franchise, when you can just buy him help.</div>

Yes, they have the cap space to be big players in the FA market this offseason, but what I was implying was that Amare was kept and Carbakapa and Lampe would be placed in his stead in the trade. Taking a look at the FA market, there aren't a lot of starter quality role players. Besides, they have a few picks this year, and why not use the picks and a big trade to develop instead?

7. deception

deception JBB Banned Member

how about something i've thrown around in the raptors forums, how about vince carter for pierce straight up?

8. Trip

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting deception:</div><div class="quote_post">how about something i've thrown around in the raptors forums, how about vince carter for pierce straight up?</div>
    That would be a disaster for the C's.

Pierce is a rarely injured star who is still improving. Carter, on the other hand, is injury-prone and his stock has dropped tremendously over the last few seasons. If the Celtics do this, they'll be ripped off bad.

Just to add more discussion, I've made up a minor trade and it was approved by the RealGM trade checker.

LA Clippers Trade-Melvin Ely, Peja Drobnjak

Boston Celtics Trade-Jumaine Jones, Walter McCarty

I pretty much like this trade, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the Clippers would jump on it. They get to rid themselves of a long-term deal and another one that needs extending. The Celtics get two quality big men to play the post, and might free up a pick or two for the Celtics to draft a swingman.

9. deception

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trip:</div><div class="quote_post">That would be a disaster for the C's.

Pierce is a rarely injured star who is still improving. Carter, on the other hand, is injury-prone and his stock has dropped tremendously over the last few seasons. If the Celtics do this, they'll be ripped off bad.

Just to add more discussion, I've made up a minor trade and it was approved by the RealGM trade checker.

LA Clippers Trade-Melvin Ely, Peja Drobnjak

Boston Celtics Trade-Jumaine Jones, Walter McCarty

I pretty much like this trade, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the Clippers would jump on it. They get to rid themselves of a long-term deal and another one that needs extending. The Celtics get two quality big men to play the post, and might free up a pick or two for the Celtics to draft a swingman.</div>

but the celtics have a wild card, danny ainge and anything can happen as long as he's gm

10. twool913

twool913 JBB JustBBall Member

I don't know what you guys think of this trade, and if you hate it, i really don't care.

Chicage trades:Tyson Chandler, and Marcus Fizer

Boston trades: Ricky Davis, Chris Mihm

Now boston needs a bigman, and personally i think that Chandler was going to breakout this year, but then he had back problems and that slowed him down tremendously. Also wasn't it going around that chicago was shopping both of these players? Marcus Fizer still has potential to score off the bench, he just needs to get more basketball IQ.

As for chicago, maybe they can get Ricky Davis to work for them. They're in need of a swing man and he has all the talent just needs to learn more. Chris Mihm can be a good role player for them, and be there to let Eddy Curry own the paint on offense while Mihm can focus on defense and rebounding.

Just say if you don't like it, i just thought of it and said heck, maybe that'll work..

11. Trip

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting dpballers913:</div><div class="quote_post">Chicage trades:Tyson Chandler, and Marcus Fizer

Boston trades: Ricky Davis, Chris Mihm

</div>

Tyson Chandler's future depends on whether Chicago gets to draft Dwight Howard. If they do, Chandler most likely doesn't have a future on their roster. Marcus Fizer is not a bad piece to pick up. Ricky Davis should not be traded away from Boston. He has flourished as sixth man and the suggested players from Chicago will not be able to fill his production at the 2/3 spot. This is a pretty pointless trade.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting deception:</div><div class="quote_post">but the celtics have a wild card, danny ainge and anything can happen as long as he's gm</div>

Well, yeah. But I think Danny Ainge does his homework nonetheless, and won't agree to something as stupid as what was suggested.

12. hagrid

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">how about something i've thrown around in the raptors forums, how about vince carter for pierce straight up?</div>

To quote a phrase: There's not a snowballs chance in hell of that happening.

Danny may have everyone available in the market, but the catch is, FOR THE RIGHT PRICE. VC for Pierce straight up is highway robbery.

No offense to Carter fans, but he's got 2 bad raps:

1. He doesn't play defense hard.
    2. He's injured ALOT.

Vince's health risk alone makes that deal impossible. Danny might trade Paul, but it isn't going to be for Vince Carter.

13. hagrid

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post"><font size="4">Ricky Davis should not be traded away from Boston.</font> </div>

Thank you Trip! :mrgreen:

BTW: Fizer is a force when healthy. Problem is, he so often unhealthy that I'd be afraid to take a risk on him right now.

14. deception

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting hagrid:</div><div class="quote_post">To quote a phrase: There's not a snowballs chance in hell of that happening.

Danny may have everyone available in the market, but the catch is, FOR THE RIGHT PRICE. VC for Pierce straight up is highway robbery.

No offense to Carter fans, but he's got 2 bad raps:

1. He doesn't play defense hard.
    2. He's injured ALOT.

Vince's health risk alone makes that deal impossible. Danny might trade Paul, but it isn't going to be for Vince Carter.</div>

i agree with most of what u say but your leaving important details out. vince is more of explosive scorer, he's even gone for 50 in the playoffs. and pierce has a huge stigma behind him, he's blamed a lot for the american lose in the world championships. and i've heard ainge on television marvel at vince's abilities. so hagrid i think its getting cold in hell right about now

15. twool913

twool913 JBB JustBBall Member

Hagrid, what trade do you have up your sleeve right now? I'm wondering, you seem to know a lot about teams and their players, what do you think would be a nice trade for the C's.

The celtics need a big man right? They're in the east, which means the big man needs to be able to play D and grab boards for the most part, since the east is dominated by gaurds and not big men.

What would you say to this, not that it is especially great just an idea.

houston trades- Kelvin kato and the rights to Malick Badiane.

Boston trades- Michael Stewart and Chris Mihm.

Houston might not be getting back what they give, i think that Kelvin Kato can contribute a lot since he can jump and is energetic, but he doesn't really have a place in houston since Yao is there. As for Malick Badian he is a Senegalese(or whatever you call it) native who plays in Germany i think. Houston picked him last year with the 44th pick.

Boston would get Kato who, in my opinion, would help them out a lot. Also they would recieve a potentially good player in Badian. He is 6'10" and is athletci with like a 7'4" wing span, so he can grab boards.

I like this trade for boston, but maybe you don't. Personally i just like to throw out the idea of this and other things on my mind to see what others think.

I also realize what you're saying with Ricky Davis. I think that coming off the bench, or eventually working his way into the starting lineup will be good for him. In Cleveland i think he felt superior to LeBron and the other players and felt he was the best, but in Boston i guess he's figured that Pierce is better than him and he needs to fit his role.

As for the trade, let me know what you think about. Also, hagrid i would like to know some of your ideas for trades.

16. Trip

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting dpballers913:</div><div class="quote_post">The celtics need a big man right? They're in the east, which means the big man needs to be able to play D and grab boards for the most part, since the east is dominated by gaurds and not big men. </div>
    Yes. You're right.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">What would you say to this, not that it is especially great just an idea.

houston trades- Kelvin kato and the rights to Malick Badiane.

Boston trades- Michael Stewart and Chris Mihm.</div>
    I'd say no. I know pretty much all about Houston and I can assure you that Kelvin Cato is by no means worth Chris Mihm. This is a guy whose defense might be a bit better than Mihm's, but he can't make a 2-foot jump shot. Bad thing to do.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Houston might not be getting back what they give, i think that Kelvin Kato can contribute a lot since he can jump and is energetic, but he doesn't really have a place in houston since Yao is there. As for Malick Badian he is a Senegalese(or whatever you call it) native who plays in Germany i think. Houston picked him last year with the 44th pick. </div>
    You're right, Houston is not getting back what they give, they're getting even more. They get to unload Kelvin Cato's huge contract and get an up-and-coming youngster who could be a solid player down the road.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Boston would get Kato who, in my opinion, would help them out a lot. Also they would recieve a potentially good player in Badian. He is 6'10" and is athletci with like a 7'4" wing span, so he can grab boards. </div>
    Cato would not help the Celtics on the offensive end, although he'd be good for 8 rebounds a game and a couple blocks. Badiane is still a mystery and could be just one of those overrated athletic freaks.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">I like this trade for boston, but maybe you don't. Personally i just like to throw out the idea of this and other things on my mind to see what others think. </div>
    Well, I don't, and you mostly likely have seen what I think.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">I also realize what you're saying with Ricky Davis. I think that coming off the bench, or eventually working his way into the starting lineup will be good for him. In Cleveland i think he felt superior to LeBron and the other players and felt he was the best, but in Boston i guess he's figured that Pierce is better than him and he needs to fit his role.</div>
    Your words might be right, and it is true. Ricky Davis has grown by leaps and bounds during his tenure with Boston. Let's see what he can do for a whole season.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">As for the trade, let me know what you think about. Also, hagrid i would like to know some of your ideas for trades.</div>

Hagrid is a different kind of guy. From what I know, he likes to comment on others' ideas but doesn't initiate any ideas of himself. I'd like to be proven wrong, though. So Hagrid, surprise me. :mrgreen:

17. hagrid

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">and pierce has a huge stigma behind him, he's blamed a lot for the american lose in the world championships. </div>

Misplaced blame is just that: Misplaced Blame. Only fools can blame multiple losses in international competition on one player on a team of All-Stars. That stigma holds absolutely no credence in my book. That was a huge TEAM and COACHING failure. Trying to place blame on one individual is ridiculous, particularly in this case.

and i've heard ainge on television marvel at vince's abilities

What NBA announcer hasn't done that? [​IMG]

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">. so hagrid i think its getting cold in hell right about now</div>

Temperature seems to be holding steady right where it was at originally. [​IMG]

18. Trip

Student
    I think the main difference between Pierce and Carter is that Carter NEEDS the ball to produce. Pierce meanwhile can run around and just create havoc for the defense in one possesion, all while not touching the ball once. And of course, when he does get the ball, it's lethal.

19. hagrid

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">houston trades- Kelvin kato and the rights to Malick Badiane.

Boston trades- Michael Stewart and Chris Mihm.</div>

Well, firstly, I don't see Kelvin Kato as the type of Center that Danny Ainge is looking for. If Stewart is involved, then without looking it up, I can assume Kato's got a pretty significant contract to boot. I can honestly say I know nothing of Malick Badiane, but after this post I'll get cracking on learning something. Stewart is a nice chip to be holding in the FA market, given that we're otherwise in tight straights. I don't see Danny thinking this is good value in return for one of our bigger chips in the game.

I'm also not sold that Mihm is the wash up that people are calling him. I see something there and would like to explore it, particularly since he's cheap right now. <font color="DarkRed"><font size="1">(and coming into a contract year, so if he's been loafing, we'll get his best this year )</font></font> [​IMG]

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Hagrid is a different kind of guy. From what I know, he likes to comment on others' ideas but doesn't initiate any ideas of himself. I'd like to be proven wrong, though. So Hagrid, surprise me</div>

<u>Simply explained:</u>

I've mentioned on a few occasions that I believe Dannyboy is going to use 1-2 of our picks in a trade to move up, or a trade for talent. Particularly with the former point, it's pretty hard to generate scenarios to move up, when you don't know where you need to move to.

Once the lottery is set, I'll have plenty to offer in the realm of trade scenarios. Right now though, it's just impossible to think about, with the exception of the #4 pick. [​IMG]

20. Trip

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting hagrid:</div><div class="quote_post">Well, firstly, I don't see Kelvin Kato as the type of Center that Danny Ainge is looking for. If Stewart is involved, then without looking it up, I can assume Kato's got a pretty significant contract to boot. I can honestly say I know nothing of Malick Badiane, but after this post I'll get cracking on learning something. Stewart is a nice chip to be holding in the FA market, given that we're otherwise in tight straights. I don't see Danny thinking this is good value in return for one of our bigger chips in the game.</div>

It's Kelvin Cato. Badiane is somewhat a project, an athletic freakw who from what I know does not have a consistent shot to boot. Cato's contract is huge, I believe it is a maximum. He is not worth what he offers you. This won't happen, guaranteed.