Trade propositions

Discussion in 'Minnesota Timberwolves' started by Big Zee, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Big Zee

Big Zee JBB JustBBall Member

What do you guys think would be a trade that would be both possible and helpful for the Wolves?

Here's mine:

Minnesota trades:
    SG Latrell Sprewell (12.0 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 1.9 apg in 30.6 minutes)
    PG Sam Cassell (15.1 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 6.0 apg in 29.6 minutes)
    C Michael Olowokandi (4.7 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 0.3 apg in 17.2 minutes)

Minnesota receives:
    PG Baron Davis (19.5 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 6.1 apg in 30.3 minutes)
    Jamal Mashburn (No games yet played in 2004/05)
    C Jamaal Magloire (14.1 ppg, 9.1 rpg, 1.6 apg in 32.8 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: +1.8 ppg, +1.8 rpg, and -0.5 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

I would feel very bad about trading Cassell, but Baron Davis is an obvious upgrade.

Wolves roster:

PG B-Diddy
    SG Hassell
    SF Wally
    PF KG
    C Magloire

Bench: Hudson, Griffin, Hoiberg, Johnson, Madsen, Carter
    IL: Mashburn

2. King James X3

King James X3 JBB JustBBall Member

Why would The Hornets want any of the aforementioned players? Cassell and Sprewell have struggled all season, they're considerably older players, and their contract's no longer reflect their contributions on the court. As for Olowokandi, he too is over paid and way to inconsistent to trade away a player of Baron Davis's caliber.

I see where your headed though, obviously New Orleans is looking to make a move given their current status, however they simply wouldn't benefit from this deal. Your on the right track discussing deals concerning Mashburn, He's like a hot potato right now and The Hornets can no longer tolerate the burning sensation. But for a team with young talent, likely lottery picks, and cap space next season, moving Mashburn could come at considerably less of a price than this proposed transaction.

3. Pure

Pure JBB Graphic Design

I really don't know if I would like Baron Davis anymore than I like Cassell. We need a passing point guard, not a shooting point guard. Davis will launch up as many threes as he wants in New Orleans, and I really don't think that would fly with the Wolves. Magloire is overrated, he had one good season and now he's a dominant center? I would like him more than Olowakandi, but still. And Mashburn, that is just dumb. He has been constantly injured, and has a big salary. Unless he turns into another Grant Hill, I really wouldn't want that.

I do really like the lineup with Hassell starting, because that gives us a good balance of offensive and defensive presence. We all complain about Cassell not playing any defense, sorry to say Davis wouldn't be much better.

Wolves would decline that trade.

4. Big Zee

Is Davis not a good defender? I remember he used to be...

And I think NO is more likely to refuse this trade than the Wolves.

Feel free to suggest other trades [​IMG]

5. Sabretooth

Sabretooth JBB JustBBall Member

I was thinking about the Hornets too, but I'm looking more at P.J. Brown and Davis. Davis can sometimes be a little too energetic but he's still good. I like Sam still for his ability to hit the open shot (on most nights). P.J. would be a definite upgrade at the 5 from anyone we have now. Can set good screens, free-throw savvy, hard-worker, tough, and can get the dub/dub nightly.

6. Big Zee

PJ isn't a center, is he?

7. Sabretooth

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Big Zee:</div><div class="quote_post">PJ isn't a center, is he?</div>

At 6' 11", he can be. Also, Keon Clark is available. Since he's a free agent, we wouldn't have to worry about losing much.

8. Paulijacks

Paulijacks JBB JustBBall Member

I still think they might be a chance to get SAR from portland.....and a lot of teams would like to have spree right now because next year his 14.6 million dollar contract would come off the books and clear salary cap room. I personally would not want to trade sam right now cause he is just finally starting to play well....If we could trade spree and hudson for maybe SAR and theo ratiff that would be big cause then we could have KG...SAR...THeo...sam and wally as starters....or trenton in the mix somehow would make us a better defencsive team...I do think right now the only untradable player is KG.

9. Pure

Pure JBB Graphic Design

Please leave Keon Clark out of this team. He is an average player, but we don't need any more off the court problems and distractions than we already have.

Abdur-Rahim is a good player, his problem is he only likes playing power forward. That would be a definite problem with Garnett in town. Also, he can't guard small forwards or centers, he has to match up with the other teams power forward; which, in the end would cause mathup problems with Szcerbiak or Garnett.

10. CUSA Fan

CUSA Fan JBB JustBBall Member

Our main focus is easily and obviously center. At center, we basically, suck. Olowakandi, Madsen, and EJ is not a very good rotation of center, at all. I wouldn't mind maybe a trade to get Eddy Curry who has been playing some good basketball. I would love to trade for him and Hinrich, although, I don't think the Bulls would be willing to give up Hinrich. I don't think a trade for SAR or PJ would be efficient trades for us. Both of them play PF and, well, we already have Garnett and Griffin. I want a good, young, passing pointguard(Hinrich) and a good, young, center on the rise(Curry). Not sure who we would give up to do that trade, but I don't think it would go down anyways.

11. Timberwolf

Timberwolf JBB JustBBall Member

Pure basically said what I had to say. Plus why would New Orleans want our players. New Orleans would like some young core players to build around like what Charlotte has.

12. Big Zee

Eddy Curry has been said to be a lousy defender, so that could also turn out to be a liability.

13. Henacy

Henacy JBB The Man like Sam

Baron Davis on the Timberwolves would be horrible. The Wolves are a team that leaves off of high effeiency in all shooting areas whether it be from the field, at the line or from three. Its all about ball movement as well, the Wolves get in trouble when they stand around dribbling in the half-court to much, so why add a guy who's game is peceeds thaty he must dominate and over dribble to a fault. Baron Davis needs 20+ shots a night to be effective, if the Wolves are struggling to find ways to share the ball enough to the point guys can get at least 15 touches a night, how do you think throw Davis into the mix will fix anything.

14. Timberwolf

Plus Baron does not play defense and he is injury-prone too.

15. Sabretooth

I wonder what you guys would think of Carlos Arroyo? I don't believe we've had (in the KG era) a "traditional" point. Carlos is a little too flashy but can be a real playmaker (we saw that in the Olympics). The last loss we made me really think. We need another post-up player with some size (Kevin Willis) or intensity (Mutumbo) to make a difference in the post, even Marc Jackson works well in post scoring.

16. CUSA Fan

CUSA Fan JBB JustBBall Member

Took the words out of my mouth. I saw Ice mention it in the Magic forum and I was going to ask the same thing.

I wouldn't mind Arroyo here at all. He is definitely a passing pointguard and doesn't committ a lot of turnovers. As you mentioned, he really shined in the Olympics playing great. I think he would be good here. But before we can do that, we go for our main priority, which is getting a big man to help out Garnett. At center, we flat out suck and it's getting pathetic.

17. P.A.P.

P.A.P. JBB Fresh Start

Boston trades: Michael Stewart (No games yet played in 2004/05)
    C Raef LaFrentz (10.9 ppg, 7.7 rpg, 1.1 apg in 27.1 minutes)
    PG Gary Payton (12.4 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 6.2 apg in 32.6 minutes)
    Boston receives: PG Sam Cassell (15.7 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 5.9 apg in 29.8 minutes)
    SG Latrell Sprewell (12.0 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 2.0 apg in 31.0 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: +4.4 ppg, -5.2 rpg, and +0.6 apg.

Minnesota trades: PG Sam Cassell (15.7 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 5.9 apg in 29.8 minutes)
    SG Latrell Sprewell (12.0 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 2.0 apg in 31.0 minutes)
    Minnesota receives: Michael Stewart (No games yet played in 2004/05)
    C Raef LaFrentz (10.9 ppg, 7.7 rpg, 1.1 apg in 27.1 minutes)
    PG Gary Payton (12.4 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 6.2 apg in 32.6 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: -4.4 ppg, +5.2 rpg, and -0.6 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Boston and Minnesota being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Boston and Minnesota had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement

I think it works out for both teams...Raef LaFrentz being the X Factor. If He can stay healthy and give a good 3-4 man rotation at the Center and 4, and stay healthy, then i like this trade for both organizations.

18. Timberwolf

Since we are talking trade propositions, how about David Aldridge throwing this rumor tonight on NBA Tipoff on TNT. He said that there may be a proposed trade in the works in which Latrell goes to Miami in a 4-way trade and the Wolves would get Donyell Marshall and Eddie Jones. Knicks would get Jalen Rose and Raptors would get Penny Hardaway.

I am not a big Eddie Jones fan. Eddie is too soft and a playoff choke artist. With that said, this is about dumping Latrell and I am all for dumping Latrell. It's clear that he does not want to be with the Wolves and he is clearly bothered about not getting an extension as you see his play and his demeanor being effected with that contract.

Right now, everyone outside of KG is available. It's a shame that it has to happen, but right now this team needs to be broken up.

19. Pure

Pure JBB Graphic Design

I am liking the trade Aldridge is reporting.

Minnesota Trades: Latrell Sprewell

Toronto Trades: Donyell Marshall, Jalen Rose

New York Trades: Penny Hardaway

Miami Trades: Eddie Jones

Minnesota Recives: Eddie Jones, Donyell Marshall

Toronto Recieves: Penny Hardaway

New York Recieves: Jalen Rose

Miami Recieves: Latrell Sprewell

I also am not a huge Jones fan, but I would love Marshall. Garnett needs help on the boards, and he is an awesome rebounder.

I would accept it.

20. .cabangbang

.cabangbang BBW Member

Marshall also is a great scorer off the bench.