Trade Scenarios?

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Custodianrules2, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

This offseason's drafts seem ho-hum at this point, but I wonder about the availability of big men like Kevin Garnett or Jermaine O'neil in the offseason?

I wonder if we could offer a package of Baron Davis + Troy Murphy + and a pick for any of those two guys? Nothing against Baron Davis, but he's our best chip to get an even more elite big player.

I don't know if KG would make a good center, but he could definitely operate from the high post to feed Ike down low and beat most power forwards or centers off the dribble or use that little half turn shot he does. Or Ike could just be the center.

Or if the other trade where Jermaine O'neil is landed in the deal we could put him at center, with Ike at power forward.

A backcourt of Ellis/Jrich/Dfish/Pietrus wouldn't be that bad as long as we got some legit inside players, shotblockers and rebounders in there. We definitely have several options that could attack from the outside as well as inside.

I like Baron Davis and some of Troy Murphy's game, but heck I like Garnett and O'neil's a lot better. But I'm getting way ahead of myself. I'm just saying the offseason could be exciting as the deadline when we got Baron Davis if GM's are trading franchise guys. We definitely have young guys that teams would want. Unfortunately, we probably have to keep Foyle, Dunleavy because there's little interest.

2. iLL PiLL

iLL PiLL JBB JustBBall Member

what if we traded murphy+pietrus or dunleavy for tyson chandler? The bulls barely use him

3. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    Not to sound too harsh, but the Bulls rarely use Chandler because he's not tough enough. He's not the kind of guy we'd need down low.

4. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Chandler is the new Dampier, hes got his money so now hes on vacation for 6 seasons. He'd still be an upgrade but Biedrins will be a similar player and probably cost less in a few years. Theres really no bigs available this offseason except possibly Magloire but even him we're just assuming that Milwaukee wants to get something for him instead of letting him walk. Kenyon Martin or Nene are possibilities but they have/will get long term deals and Ike, Taft, or Biedrins could be just as good or better within a few years.

5. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

I actually like Chandler and I think he is tough down low. In my opinion he plays strong defense, and while he makes mistakes he works hard. I don't think he is similar to Dampier because frankly Chandler never showed signs of "greatness." Dampier didn't seem great but he had actaully padded his stats enough to warrant a big contract. Chandler never really did that. I thought he was a bust his first few years in the league. However, despite whatever the numbers say, I think he has gotten better each year. He's filled out and is stronger now. In my opinion he would be a good player on the Warriors and a straight up trade of Murphy for Chandler is fine with me.

6. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AlleyOop:</div><div class="quote_post">In my opinion he would be a good player on the Warriors and a straight up trade of Murphy for Chandler is fine with me.</div>

Or even better... Foyle for Chandler [​IMG]

7. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

There is no way for me to touch Chandler, who is basically glorified version of Foyle. He put up 5.3 pts / 9.2 reb / 1.3 blk in 27 mins, while Foyle put 4.5 pts / 5.5 reb / 1.6 blk in 24 mins. He also gets basically same amount as Richardson gets, and last thing we need is yet another overpaid contract. Maybe, he will improve in the future, since he is 23 years old with tons of raw potential. But, our contract situation is already in a brink of complete breakdown and taking another huge contract for potential is something we can't take a chance of.

Really, if Mullin ever stop fans from burning Arena for this season is by pulling either KG or J. O'neal trade. It would be extremely hard, but if this team is intact as it is, you will see dramatic drop on season ticket this offseason...

8. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

Wow. Well I would really be excited to see KG and Baron Davis duo with the younger players on this roster and play some games.

In general, the guys who I'd be willing to trade for contract reasons are Foyle and Dunleavy.

For the roster, I believe the positions that need the biggest upgrade is the SF position, followed by the center position(which could be solved by a healthier Chris Taft).

This will be the first period in my mind where Pietrus' value will be a bit lower than previous periods of time, due to his potential shining era has kind of seized and also because he could bult after the next season if I am not mistaken. If there is something that is being discussed I could definitley see Pietrus being the fill in to make it work. I really don't want to see him go because he is or at least could be so important against guys like Kobe, TMac, Ray Allen, and some other top scoring PG's/SG's and even some SF's. I could see Pietrus being in a deal to bring in a good SF, especially if the Warriors select a guy who is more of a SG than a SF in the draft which there seems like there could be a few of.

Anyway, I am being really boring here now. So just to make a trade senerio...

Jason Richardson($10mil), Troy Murphy($8.3mil), and Mickael Pietrus($2.5mil) for Kevin Garnett(20mil) and second round pick...these numbers are for next season's salaries, 2006-2007.

Baron Davis/Will Bynum
    Derek Fisher/Monta Ellis/Draft pick
    Mike Dunleavy/Zarko Caparkapa
    Kevin Garnett/Ike Diogu
    Andris Biedrins/Chris Taft/Adonal Foyle

I would just like to see a five of Baron Davis, Monta Ellis, Kevin Garnett, Ike Diogu, and Andris Biedrins on the floor for the Warriors. I would like to keep Pietrus with Baron and KG though, since he'd really shine in that situation. But yeah, just some crazy trade senerio. Maybe the Warriors could try to get the TWolves first pick, and then try to manuver and hope that Rudy Fernandez comes out, who seems like a real winner. Then the Warriors could snatch Rudy and someone else maybe even the other Rudy, Rudy Gay, and help the 2/3 spots.

9. iLL PiLL

iLL PiLL JBB JustBBall Member

noooo don't trade J-rich!! [​IMG] He's been with us and he's one of the main pieces why we are doing better than before! I was at the last home game and he said that next year he promises and i repeat he promises that the drought will end!! just give him and baron the chance! trade fisher, murphy, dunleavy, pietrus, foyle, but no one else!!! I dont want to see baron and j-rich part...they still have to prove that they can be the best back court in the league!

10. Run BJM

I can't resist a trade proposal thread so heres a quick one. I really don't think we're going to get a franchise big this offseason so this trade is just upgrading our team or getting guys with similar production but shorter contracts.

Trade 1:
    GSW swaps Derek Fisher, Troy Murphy, Mickael Pietrus to Houston for Rafer Alston, Juwan Howard, Bob Sura (just a contract).

Houston gets a veteran PG in Fisher who can knock down threes and play solid defense (at least compared to Alston), he won't be relied on to make decisions or handle the ball much and would be in a very similar situation to the one he was in with LAL. Murphy can punish other teams by hitting outside shots when they double Yao, also a good rebounder which takes some pressure off of Yao, he can paly alongside Swift while Yao rests and they won't have to worry about rebounding. Mickael Pietrus provides them with a big athletic guard in the backcourt, which they desire, good defender, can hit outside shots or penetrate.

New Houston lineup:
    Fisher/ Head/ Brunson
    Pietrus/ Bogans/ Frahm
    T-Mac/ Pietrus/ Bowen
    Murphy/ Swift/ Hayes
    Yao/ Swift/ O'Bryant (just a guess on who they'd draft)

GSW trades a few backups who are never going to crack the starting lineup in Fisher and Pietrus as well as Murphy who seems to be an odd man out going into the offseason. We get back a PG who better suites our team, Alston can run an offense and penetrate well as well as lead the fast break and hes a better second option to Baron if/when Baron is injured. Howard can start at PF until Ike is ready, then he can still provide a solid veteran backup. Both have shorter deals than Murphy/Fisher and we get Bob Sura's expiring contract. This may cause problems with rebounding or inside defense though, especially if we can't replace Foyle. To sum this one up, its basically a trade to get shorter, more managable contracts for our young players to step in once they're ready.

New GSW lineup:
    Baron/ Alston/ Bynum
    J-Rich/ Monta
    Dunleavy/ (Carney or Brewer)
    Howard/ Ike/ Taft
    Foyle(?)/ Biedrins/ Taft

11. AlleyOop

I'd do it. Why? Bye Bye Fishie-pooh.

12. Run BJM

Alright, heres two more both trying to dump Foyle.

GSW Trades: Foyle, Pietrus, 06 1st round pick
    GSW Recieces: PJ Brown, JR Smith

NOH Trades: PJ Brown, JR Smith
    NOH Recieves: Foyle, Pietrus, 06 1st round pick

New Orleans eats Foyles contract so that they can acquire a 1st round pick and a good replacement for JR Smith, who seems to have fallen out of favor with Byron Scott. PJ Brown is on his last leg and while the Hornets still value him they may rather take another pick as well as another young prospect. Foyle has 3 years left and can be dealt in 2 as an expiring contract if hes not retired and writing poetry books by then, if not hes at least a decent shot blocking threat for the next year or so that he retains his 4 inch verticle leap.

New NOH Lineup:
    Paul/Claxton/Norris
    Pietrus/Snyder/Mausijauskas
    Butler/Mason/Fizer
    West/Jackson/Fizer
    Foyle/A. Williams/ Jackson
    Plus add 2 first round picks anywhere in there.

GSW drops Foyles contract and trades their young swingman prospect for one with better potential but a much worse work ethic. We have to give the 1st round pick so that the Hornets will accept and its not very valuable to us anyway since we have better young prospects at every position than the players available in the draft. JR Smith is younger than Pietrus, a better shooter (more consistent anyway), but nowhere near the defender or hard worker. He seems to have more potential but he may never even come close to reaching it because of his bad attitude and/or poor work ethic. Murphy and Fisher can realistically be moved as well.

GSW New Lineup:
    Baron/Fisher/Bynum/Monta
    J-Rich/Monta
    Dunleavy/Cheany (or FA, Jumaine Jones is ideal)
    Murphy/Ike/Taft
    Brown/Biedrins/Taft
    Or if we can get a starting center via Murphy or Fish plus the philly pick then move Brown to starting PF as a stop gap until Ike is ready.

Trade #2:
    GSW Trades: Foyle, 1st round pick
    WAS Trades: Brendan Haywood or Etan Thomas, Michael Ruffin

Washington takes a downgrade at center for a 1st round pick, if thats valuable enough to them then they may go for this deal. Ruffin is just an expiring contract filler, GS can cut him and he can go back if he wants to.

GSW gets an upgrade at center and a small expiring contract for their crappy center and their lotto pick. Pretty basic deal, we'd rather get Haywood but if Washington will only do it with Etan Thomas instead then I'd accept.

I'm too lazy to post the new lineups but its a simple trade so easy to imagine what it'd be like.

13. AlleyOop

I'd do both of those trades in a flash. Why? Bye bye Foyleeee-pants.

But NO would be foolish to do that 1st trade, and Washington won't give up Haywood now that he's playing with some balls. Etan Thomas or Ruffin, maybe, but that doesn't do anything for me. But keep proposing the trades because I like reading them. [​IMG]

14. Run BJM

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AlleyOop:</div><div class="quote_post"> But keep proposing the trades because I like reading them. [​IMG]</div>
    Ok, last one of the night.

GSW Trades: Foyle, 06 first rounder (#9)
    NYK Trades: Mo Taylor, their 2 '06 first round picks (#21 and #29)

New York gets a shotblocking center, albeit a declining and overpaid one, he'll still give you one or two blocks a game. Hes often toted as being totally useless and utter garbage but I think he'd be a nice fit on NY. They have too many scorers and need more shot blocking and hustle, Foyle does bring that and hes much more effective coming off the bench. The real reason why NY does this though is to trade up in the draft, two late first round picks aren't going to have any effect on their team, a lotto pick however would at least provide some immediate help or a raw young prospect for the future. Isaiah's favorite passtime is trading expiring contracts for overpaid guys so he gets another one here (but he also moves way up in the draft).

As a GSW fan you may be thinking that this trade is terrible and I should be banned from this board, but hear me out. We sure as hell don't want Mo Taylor, who is essentially a poor man's Ike but hes got a nice fat expiring contract. We cut him and we basically just traded Foyle and our pick (both expendable) for 9 million dollars of cap relief and a few crappy late round picks. Andris and Taft can man the 5 but we also get another MLE this year and we can easily use part of that to get a servicable veteran center to start or provide help when the youngsters are in foul trouble or injured. I don't really know what to do with the picks, I'm sure there will be teams who want some prospects but have no picks there and we can pick for them and get a prospect or servicable player back. Or, Mullin's got a good eye for talent, he can draft some raw young kid and stash him in Europe or the D-League for a few seasons.

15. AlleyOop

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Run BJM:</div><div class="quote_post">Ok, last one of the night.

GSW Trades: Foyle, 06 first rounder (#9)
    NYK Trades: Mo Taylor, their 2 '06 first round picks (#21 and #29)

New York gets a shotblocking center, albeit a declining and overpaid one, he'll still give you one or two blocks a game. Hes often toted as being totally useless and utter garbage but I think he'd be a nice fit on NY. They have too many scorers and need more shot blocking and hustle, Foyle does bring that and hes much more effective coming off the bench. The real reason why NY does this though is to trade up in the draft, two late first round picks aren't going to have any effect on their team, a lotto pick however would at least provide some immediate help or a raw young prospect for the future. Isaiah's favorite passtime is trading expiring contracts for overpaid guys so he gets another one here (but he also moves way up in the draft).

As a GSW fan you may be thinking that this trade is terrible and I should be banned from this board, but hear me out. We sure as hell don't want Mo Taylor, who is essentially a poor man's Ike but hes got a nice fat expiring contract. We cut him and we basically just traded Foyle and our pick (both expendable) for 9 million dollars of cap relief and a few crappy late round picks. Andris and Taft can man the 5 but we also get another MLE this year and we can easily use part of that to get a servicable veteran center to start or provide help when the youngsters are in foul trouble or injured. I don't really know what to do with the picks, I'm sure there will be teams who want some prospects but have no picks there and we can pick for them and get a prospect or servicable player back. Or, Mullin's got a good eye for talent, he can draft some raw young kid and stash him in Europe or the D-League for a few seasons.</div>

Hmmm... you know you just may have something here.... I like it... wait, yes.... You know, this may actually work... the only GM in the history of the NBA who'd take Adonal Foyle's sorry a$$ and give away a clean expiring contract... wait, yes, Isiah Thomas... this is beautiful!

16. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

As long as we find a capable 5 in the offseason to replace Foyle I'm all for that trade.

17. VinsanityVC15

VinsanityVC15 JBB JustBBall Member

But what happened to JR coming in?does he get traded or what?

18. Run BJM

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting VinsanityVC15:</div><div class="quote_post">But what happened to JR coming in?does he get traded or what?</div>
    No we'd keep him and see if he can turn into a good player. If he doesnt show anything over the following season's we can let him walk once his rookie contract expires.

Heres another inspired by the idea of getting Josh Smith.

GSW Trades: Mickael Pietrus, 1st round pick (#9)
    GSW Recieves: Josh Smith, Chicago's #15 pick

ATL Trades: Josh Smith, Al Harrington (S&T at 7mil/year or starting at 7 mils and increasing from there)
    ATL Recieves: Chris Duhon, Eric Piatkowski (Exp. contract), Mike Sweetney, and GSW's #9 overall pick

CHI Trades: Duhon, Piatkowski, Sweetney, 15th overall pick
    CHI Recieves: Mickael Pietrus, Al Harrington

Atlanta gets a good, cheap starting PG, Piatkowski's expiring contract (they can cut him if they want), and Mike Sweetney who is a legit PF who can score and rebound well and hes got an expiring contract. They trade Josh Smith to make room for Marvin Williams, Al Harrington is going to walk so they get some good value for him. They also get another lotto pick.

New ATL lineup:
    Duhon/Tyronne Lue/S. Stoudamire
    J. Johonson/Childress/S. Stoudamire
    M. Williams/ Childress/Piatkowski
    Sweetney/Batista
    Pachulia/ FA or draft pick
    At the 4th pick ATL can get one of Morrison, Thomas, Gay, Bargnani, at the 9 pick they can get O'Bryant, Simmons, Splitter, or Shelden Williams.

Chicago gets Al Harrington and a big young defensive minded guard. They really don't give up anything of value except Duhon and their 15th pick. Seems pretty basic to me.

New CHI Lineup:
    Hinrich/Pargo
    Pietrus/Gordon
    Deng/Nocioni
    A. Harrington/ O. Harrington
    Chandler/Allen
    Plus they get a top 3 pick.

Golden State trades out of the lottory to get Josh Smith who has higher potential and his rookie contract still lasts for 3 more years. If we keep Pietrus we have to re-sign him, let him walk, or S&T him and get the same amount of salary back.

New GSW Lineup:
    Baron/Fisher/Bynum
    J-Rich/Monta
    Dunleavy/ J-Smoove
    Murphy/Ike/Taft/Zarko
    Foyle/Biedrins/Taft
    And we'll draft BAP at pick 15.

19. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

I kind of just proposed this in another thread, but maybe it fits here better.

Warriors Trade: Jason Richardson($10mil), Troy Murphy($8.3mil), Derek Fisher($5.8mil) - ($24.1mil)
    Warriors Receive: Jermaine O'Neal($18.1mil), Stephen Jackson($6.2mil) - ($24.3mil)

Warriors Roster:
    Baron Davis/Monta Ellis/Will Bynum
    Stephen Jackson/Mickael Pietrus
    Mike Dunleavy/Draft pick
    Jermaine O'Neal/Ike Diogu/Zarko Caparkapa
    Andris Biedrins/Adonal Foyle/Chris Taft

** possible additions to the deal could be swap of draft picks and maybe Zarko as a filler if it works cap wise. The lower draft pick also seems more interesting with international prospects such as Rudy Fernandez and this new guy Saer Sene who just sounds like an absolute freak physically with his height and ahleticism and ability to block shots. Also maybe the Pacers have an interest in another tall skilled player in Zarko.

Why I favor this deal is because if two years ago someone would have said that Baron Davis and Jermaine O'Neal would be no the same Warrior squad, I would have been thrilled. But more than that, the Warriors defense would improve tremendously. Having O'Neal and Andris in the paint on defense would be a very solid duo. The deal also brings in Stephen Jackson who has been a good defender in the league, and it allows Pietrus and Ellis to get more minutes which will also improve the defense. The Warriors would end up having two of the most important positions on the court covered in PG and a post player, this followed by a strong set of role players who like just previously mentioned, bring good strong defense. The offense will also be strong, with the duo of Baron and Jermaine, along with several players who could average double figure points each night(kind of similar to the Warriors production in the last season of Musselman as the Warriors head coach, where about 7 players averaged 10+points per game, but this time with better talent). I believe this roster could be one of the top defensive teams in the NBA.

Many people will be against trading Jason Richardson. I can understand this. But if the Pistons hadn't dealt Grant Hill for the players they got from Orlando to get better defensively, then they wouldn't have been able to have the success they have had recently. And Grant Hill was on hall of fame track, I believe back then. This deal would help the Warriors as a whole team, especially because it fills the two toughest positions to fill and it improves the defense.

20. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Man I would rather not trade Jason Richardson. He's too awesome. [​IMG]