Trades vs Free Agents

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by ant, Jun 30, 2016.

1. ant

ant egg

Teams without much cap room are still getting a shot to meet with Durant and other high profile free agents. If they get a chance to add Durant, they'll have to dump players/contracts. Rather then use our space on trying to nab Whiteside, Howard or Horford, I wonder if our best strategy is to swoop in and facilitate some of these signing by taking on some solid players.

ESPN is reporting that the Clippers are going to try and sell a Big 4 to Durant. They'd have to drop players like Green and JJ to create space. I'm sure there will be many scenarios like this, and we might get a chance to add quality players pre-2016 contract rates and get more bang for our buck (before role players are making 10+ million a year contracts). We won't get stars, but we could get great players to surround Dame and CJ with.

2. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

So FA or helping a competitor get better by taking their overpaid role players?

3. ant

ant egg

But are they overpaid when you consider what this crop of free agent role players are going to be paid? Of course, I'd rather spend the money on Horford. But if an opportunity to grab someone like Millsap via trade to help a team like ATL grab a Howard/Whiteside to pair with a re-signed Horford, that'd be a great scenario.

TBpup likes this.
  4. boredinsalem

boredinsalem Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about this a lot. First time posting from this account (had an old one a while back that was lost somehow). Lots of targets out there from teams that may want to dump salary. The only thing is that the leverage teams had in the past to take on contracts for nothing is mitigated as so many teams have cap space now and these contracts are more valuable (at the old amounts), so I think you do need to give up something of value. Plumee and Aminu could be valuable now though, given that they're contributors with cheap deals.

Warriors: Iguodala would be great for us (especially if we don't match Crabbe). He could take ball handling pressure off of Dame and CJ, neither of whom are real PGs.

Clippers: Jeff Green (as you mentioned) would fit well with our core. A little older, but experienced.

Spurs: Danny Green is much better IMO than Crabbe. (I don't get the hype for such a limited guy offensively, but whatever)

OKC: Kanter (as discussed in the other thread) - his deal doesn't look as bad now, and if they're going after Horford they'll need to dump him.

Celtics: They likely won't dump any players for cap space (no real bad contracts there), but if going after Love, may need to give up something of value. I'd like to get Avery Bradley, who is due for a raise before too long. I wonder if there's any way we could help facilitate taking Frye's long deal and something else. Cavs could clear a lot of space to chase Wade or another one of Lebron's buddies.

• Love/Plumlee to Boston
    • Aminu to Cleveland
    • Avery Bradley/Channing Frye/Amir Johnson to Portland
    It's too massive to pull off probably, but free agency would be done in one fell swoop, ha. (re-sign Leonard - who would compliment Amir and Harkless, let Crabbe walk).

Lillard/McCollum
    Bradley/McCollum
    Harkless/??
    Johnson/Vonleh/Frye
    Leonard/Davis/Frye

5. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

How is that lineup an improvement over what we had at the end of the year? Kinda looks like it makes us worse, honestly. Johnson seems vastly overpaid, we now have to start Leonard instead of Plumlee (who obviously outplayed him this past year), and I don't think Bradley in place of Crabbe (which is basically what you're showing) is much of an upgrade.

JFizzleRaider likes this.
  6. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    I don't do this too much, but I'll toot my own horn here. I predicted a YEAR ago that OKC would regret matching Kanter, and that the cost of taking on Kanter would be a first rounder.

So, if we don't get Howard or HW, I would take Kanter AND Sabonis off their hands for cap space....

7. ant

ant egg

Exactly. And another future 1st.

But then, like MM groused about, we're helping a team in our division become a super power (Westbrook, Victor, Durant, Horford, Adams...damn).

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  8. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Totally get it--I tooted my own horn after we drafted Layman. However, self-quote or it didn't happen.

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  9. Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    I don't care about helping someone else, just give me the best team possible... then I'll pray they'll have strife or injuries :)

10. Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    I said it several times, here's a bad example

PtldPlatypus likes this.