Trades

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Custodianrules2, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Whatever trades the Warriors are thinking of they should do it in the offseason rather than now. That's all I can say.

2. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">Whatever trades the Warriors are thinking of they should do it in the offseason rather than now. That's all I can say.</div>Any explanation for that?

I believe it is a lot more complicated than that. For example, there is the fear of Dampier opting out of his contract at the end of the year.

3. Custodianrules2

But what if he doesn't. What if he wants to be a star on this team. They should revise a new contract for him.

4. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">But what if he doesn't. What if he wants to be a star on this team. They should revise a new contract for him.</div>Well I dont' know if they are willing to take that chance. This team is not headed to the playoffs, so mabye they think a change may be needed soon.[​IMG]

5. kobeonfire

kobeonfire JBB JustBBall Member

I agree with Rudeezy. I'd rather make a trade now and get some contracts off the books, because even if the players that we get aren't going to stay next year, we'd still be players in the free agent pool.

6. Mez

Mez JBB JustBBall Member

I also agree with Rudeezy, they don't have any security. The "what if"s are a problem, they can't just hope that he won't opt out. Unless they can get some kind of guarantee out of him, I'd be thinking of trying to ship him out while I could get something too.

7. Custodianrules2

Even if we did have cap space, I think the best players would avoid golden state like the plague and would rather play for coach sloan's jazz. And on top of that Cohan just doesn't care where the warriors stand and he's cheap.

8. thePHentity

thePHentity JBB JustBBall Member

that's a pretty good point. i'd like to see a list of free agents next year first to see what's going on.

9. Custodianrules2

I am so pessimistic about the warriors franchise or any Oakland franchise. Move that team back to San Francisco and maybe there's a better chance to win a championship again.

10. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    The Warriors need to trade Dampier. If New York will take him, I'd say trade him for Keith Van Horn and Michael Doleac, maybe Frank Williams as well. I think Zeke Thomas would love it. From the Warriors point of view, I have doubts, but I believe this won't bring any harm if Dampier won't re-sign at the end of this season.

11. yangyang42

yangyang42 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting franchise3:</div><div class="quote_post">The Warriors need to trade Dampier. If New York will take him, I'd say trade him for Keith Van Horn and Michael Doleac, maybe Frank Williams as well. I think Zeke Thomas would love it. From the Warriors point of view, I have doubts, but I believe this won't bring any harm if Dampier won't re-sign at the end of this season.</div>

You're crazy. The warriors don't want any contracts. We would never take Van Horn or Doleac. Frank Williams has value, but not enough for the warriors to be willing to take on KVH and Doleac.

12. thePHentity

that's a disgusting proposition. i don't get all these "trade one of the rare big men, top 5 centers in the league for position players we don't even need" trades. i think the sheed trade is silly, because everybody keeps talking about money and the fear of dampier perhaps opting out, so we might as well get sheed. well sheed is at the end of his contract too...so we might even end up with the same players if we kept dampier to the end of the season and he opted out. i'd rather take a chance on dampier and giving him massive love and seeing him return than taking a chance on rasheed wallace of all people. but then i hear just the opposite argument...we could get salary cap space...didn't we just unload jamison and fortson? foyle isn't even healthy enough to be a starting center at the moment. and as far as the argument that the warriors need a superstar to take double teams...im not buying that argument. basketball's a little more complicated than that. plus, sheed has been inconsistent. what's with all the trade talk anyway. we just got a pretty revamped warriors team, injury plagued, and we've played with it for about 2/3 of the season and people are already discussing changing it up? how often does the team need to "change things up" before eric musselman goes crazy.

i mean, really, how many great players have the warriors traded, passed over, only to be screwed later on when those players go on to do great things? do we really need another? i thought warriors fans would be the most patient fans in the WORLD. can't even go 2/3rds of a season before talking trades again when dampier's value rises? rick barry must be disgusted with this on his radio show, which i haven't been able to catch recently.

13. cArMeLo15

cArMeLo15 JBB JustBBall Member

^^^ [​IMG] Plus, if we were to trade Dampier for Sheed, what are the chances of Sheed staying? You know he wouldn't stick around after the season, then we lose BOTH of them, and quite frankly, I don't want to take that chance.

14. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

A place Van Exel won't be at is Dallas.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Van Exel not returning

Golden State's Nick Van Exel said this week he wants to finish his NBA career with one of the three Texas teams. Even if the Warriors are willing to move Van Exel by the Feb. 19 trading deadline, don't expect the veteran point guard to be reunited with the Mavs.

League rules prohibit any traded player to be dealt back to the team that traded him within a one-year period. The Mavericks traded Van Exel to the Warriors on Aug. 18 in a deal that brought Antawn Jamison to Dallas.</div>

Full Article:
    http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/basketball/7899601.htm

15. thePHentity

well van exel said he's not going to opt out of this next year of his contract, so he'll stay with the warriors another year if they want to keep him...then when his contract is done, since the Ws are obviously not going to pick up his 3rd year, he'll sign with a texas team. however, i think the warriors will move van exel by the deadline. speedy is living up to what i thought he would be when he signed with the warriors, before the van exel trade. trading van exel would give all the people who want to trade dampier so much the cap space they argued for probably get a backup PG and/or a backup SF.

16. Custodianrules2

I think if the warriors can get to the playoffs, Van Exel will shutup. The fight for the 8th spot will be fast and furious, but its possible if the warriors have the heart and consistency to go on a win streak.

17. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">I think if the warriors can get to the playoffs, Van Exel will shutup. The fight for the 8th spot will be fast and furious, but its possible if the warriors have the heart and consistency to go on a win streak.</div>

I think the playoffs will play an important role in many Golden State players' futures. If the Warriors do make it, there won't be much of a roster overhaul. But if they don't make the playoffs, expect many new faces come October, just like last year.

18. thePHentity

yeah, i doubt that...especially with a young team.

19. thePHentity

looks like sheed got traded to the hawks.

20. Rudeezy

Yup, Sheed is now out of the question.:/