Trade Trading Trent

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Fez Hammersticks, Dec 15, 2020.

1. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    The ‘21 free-agency crop is drying up and teams (Knicks) could throw absurd money at Trent.

For the record, I don’t want to trade Trent and view him as a legitimate building block that should be the starting SG (if it weren’t for CJ’s enormous contract).

To avoid losing Trent for nothing — trading him could be the smart move, especially when you consider his anti-small market agent in Rich Paul.

:banghead2:

Hoopguru likes this.
  2. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Trade CJ, keep Trent.

BBert, HailBlazers, Eastoff and 7 others like this.
  3. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Not buying the theory that Stotts starts CJ because of his contract. And as long as Trent comes in halfway through the 1st quarter, do we really care? If Trent shoots better than Jones and Hood, I guarantee he will be finishing games at SF...

4. GDiama

GDiama Well-Known Member

Unless Trent proves he can be great with the in his hands I don't see anyone dropping a significant amount for him.

Pinwheel1 likes this.
  5. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Crabbe got 17 million a year. Look at how much money Danny Green has gotten over the years. A decent 3&D guy can pull in the cash.

Darkwebs and Haakzilla like this.
  6. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Whats the biggest contract he's eligible for after this season?

7. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

0-6 year veteran max deal--4 years starting at 25% of the cap.

Darkwebs likes this.
  8. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

He turned down 4 years $51 million. He is not going to be cheap to keep.

Natebishop3 likes this.
  9. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

if the cap stays the same, as some are already projecting, then at 109.1M Trent would be eligible for a base salary of 25% of the cap, or 27.28M. 4 years would put his total base salary at 109.1M (duh). IIRC another team can only offer 5% step raises of 1.36M. Six of those = 8.2M for a total of 117.3M

in other words a 4 year deal at 29.3M a year. Obviously, he isn't going to get that but there's a huge margin between that and the max extension Portland can give Trent this season which is in the range of 11-12M year. That margin is a wide target for Trent and his agent to shoot for and the obvious incentive for Trent to not sign and extension right now. I also doubt he'd willingly sign up to be CJ's backup for the next 4 years

10. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Isn't he a RFA at the end of the year? And can't we match any offer?

11. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

I think the Blazers will go after Aaron Gordon again. Who was reported our number one trade target in the offseason.

Fez Hammersticks likes this.
  12. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

Yeah depending on the year he has I think he'll cost us between 15 and 18 million per season. Like everything this season, with a few guys returning from injury and a few new pieces. We will have to see how each player's individual value plays out. We should keep players based on their value relative to Dame. Who makes Dame better and who can Dame be a champion with? I actually think that when all is said and done Gary and DJJ will prove that they are the exact kind of players that Dame needs around him.

There are a lot of situations in which I can see us keeping both but the one that will ruffle the fewest feathers around here is Neil convincing DJJ to stay on for the second year of his deal and then promising him the early bird extension of 15 million per year after that and then paying Gary anything he is offered under 20 million per.

13. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I could see a team offering him a toxic offer sheet

14. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Really, for a nonstar? I think most teams are pandemic-broke.

15. blazerkor

There really is no such thing for us. We aren't the Utah Jazz and I'm pretty sure those front loaded contracts aren't even allowed anymore after what we did to them with Wes. If someone offers Gary more money a year than we think he's worth then we either have to tell them we'll call their bluff and try to extract draft considerations in a sign and trade for him or we let him go for nothing. We can't pay a player more than he's worth and there's nothing toxic about that, it's just a dumb move by another team that they'll regret and we won't.

If Gary comes out this season and is a total stud. A stopper on defense, great three point shooter and has added to his game as someone who can create his own shot, then we have a lot of ways we can make adjustments to match any offer another team would give him.

42N8Bounce likes this.
  16. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Let's wait and see if he's early bubbly Trent or playoff Trent. The latter is not worth much.

17. blazerkor

I liked what we got out of Gary in the five games against the Lakers. He was playing out of position much of the time and tasked far too often with defending LeBron which is a horrible mismatch. When he was defending Green he was doing great. He was lights out from three. The only thing I didn't like was that he tried to do too much and took some bad shots inside. It was a learning experience for him and didn't discourage me at all.

UKRAINEFAN likes this.
  18. James lamphear

James lamphear Well-Known Member

Let see how many minutes he gets this year before we start throwing out big contract. Will Hood start taking some of his minutes when everyone is healthy due to he can play the 2 also. I believe trade deadline one or 2 players will have traded to make players happy about there playing time. Right now when everyone healthy there will be 11 players deserve minutes so you know that's not going happen so who going be left out. My prediction at trade deadline there will one or two players traded.

19. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

For better or worse I think having no fans will boost his performance this year.

20. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Lets win the championship first this year then we'll talk.