Transcript: Paul Allen On The First Day Of Training Camp

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, Sep 27, 2016.

1. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

What are your initial thoughts on the first day of training camp?

Paul Allen: “I think you saw a great energy out there. I think we’ve obviously had an influx of new talent and really optimistic about this year. I think you can feel that atmosphere in the gym.”

After spending so much money this summer was there any apprehension?

Paul Allen: “Well, Neil and I go over all those things closely. One of the big decisions, we discussed signing Evan (Turner) and that worked out. Then to get Meyers and Moe back, they were all very deliberate decisions we evaluated. The financial consequences are significant but that’s because we believe in this group of guys and they showed what they could do last year.”

What do you like about this roster?

Paul Allen: “I think we have the potential to be an extremely good passing team, and that’s what Evan can help bring to our roster to help out CJ and Dame with ball handling. Passing, shooting, we’re pretty darn good in those areas. I think that’s going to be one of our hallmarks and I think we’re athletic enough that we can run more, and I think that’s going to be something you’ll hopefully see more of this year, too.”

What are your expectations for the team this season?

Paul Allen: “I always try not make — as you know, I think we’ve been doing this for a while — I don’t make particular predictions on the number of win/loss, but I think we have a chance to be better, significantly better, than last year. I think everybody was really encouraged to see how the team came together last year and how well the coaching messed with the talent and the guys that Neil brought it, I think, exceeded everybody’s expectations. So that was a very encouraging year last year and hopefully we’ll build on that.”

How is the business side of the team doing?

Paul Allen: “Good, we had a very good year last year. Obviously we’re increasing our payroll, but all the media numbers and everything go up every year, too. So we’re going to be spending more this year, but we think it’s justified.”

Talk about the job Terry Stotts has done with this group and the decision to extend his contract this summer.

Paul Allen: “I think he’s done an excellent job. I think it’s pretty unique to see a coach adjust to the talent he has and maximize the abilities of players he has and help them keep growing. You have to realize we’re a very, very young team. I was kidding Neil earlier, I said ‘Well, there’s other teams that seem to try to prefect the art of using older players to their maximum, whereas our approach is to bring in young talent, sometimes unproven talent, and try and take that talent to another level.’ I think you saw that in terms of player development last year. So both in terms of development and execution, obviously making it out of the first round last year and giving Golden State a real run for their money, that was all extremely encouraging.”

What was the most encouraging thing you saw at practice today?

Paul Allen: “I think just the energy and some of the, I think the emphasis — I don’t know if you guys could see it out there like sitting next to obviously Neil or Bill Branch — our ability to pass the ball the ball and get guys open shots, use our athleticism to get to the rim, either running or lobs or whatever, those things, I think you’re going to see more of that this year than you have.”

What gives you optimism that the league can avoid a lockout?

Paul Allen: “As individual owners, we're not supposed to speak about CBA negotiations. So I'm not going to do that. I'm just going to say that, given the economics that are in play here, I think it's in everybody's — the players and the owner's — best interest to work something out. So I'm optimistic.”

What do you think about selling patches on uniforms next year?

Paul Allen: “I’m a member of the committee that reviewed those things for the league. I think that additional revenue makes the league healthier, so the challenge for us, depending on the size of the market, is to sell those patches to somebody that’s going to also well represent the team and those sorts of things. I think you’ll see that evolve over the next few years, you already see it in other sports, whether it’s soccer or basketball in other places. I think we’ll all get very used to it.”

You don’t think it’ll be weird to see an ad on a Blazers jersey?

Paul Allen: “Well, it’s definitely going to be a change, but again, I think additional revenues help teams and so we’ll all get used to it in the end.”

With so much of the core of this team locked up for years, are you prepared to pay the luxury tax?

Paul Allen: "That darn luxury tax is pretty painful. You have to make those decisions. As you know, at one point, I believe I had the record for the highest luxury tax payments. In the end, that didn't make sense. So that's something we'll have to look at very carefully. Sometimes you can go into the tax for a year or something and then come out of it if it makes sense as you're transitioning through different player contracts. So it's something Neil and I will evaluate very carefully. "

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    PDXFonz, HailBlazers and Orion Bailey like this.
  2. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Such positive questions. Was the anonymous interviewer Canzano? Someone can't spell.

3. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

riverman likes this.
  4. Wheels

Wheels Is That A Challenge?!?!1! Staff Member Global Moderator

I tried to read this, but it gives me an error saying "You must be either a Comcast subscriber, or live within a Comcast service area to follow this team"

#StillBitter ;)

Orion Bailey and MARIS61 like this.
  5. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    "We'll all get used to it in the end".

Fat fucking chance we will @ #it'sstillcalledtherosegardenbyrealfans.

6. Five Second Violation

Five Second Violation Well-Known Member

Love that Allen still attends the first day of training camp. I bet only half or fewer of the league's owners actually bother to do that.

BlazerCaravan, Elton and Orion Bailey like this.
  7. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Well we know he's all for jersey advertising.

BlazerCaravan likes this.
  8. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

FTFY

9. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Haven't heard that one in awhile! Scrilla?

:biglaugh:

BlazerCaravan likes this.
  10. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

Paul's slightly behind the times... his rap experience kind of peters out after 2003. :ghoti:

dviss1 likes this.