Politics Turning GA, NC, NV, and/or PA into victory (Biden vs Trump, 2020 election!)

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by SlyPokerDog, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    Excuse me for interrupting, but I thought we were talking about genetic origin when we included Kamala.

2. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Did you read the thread?

3. Lanny

Why would you ask that?
    We were talking about physical heritage and it evolved into cultural heritage.

4. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

that's the thing....I think being quick on your mental feet is NOT a worthwhile gauge for president at all because almost all the con-men and slimy tricksters I've met in my life have been quick on their mental feet. Some could tie you in knots they were so quick. If anything, I wouldn't trust it.

5. Lanny

Con men are quick on their feet but not on facts. There's the difference. Con men have learned to studiously avoid facts and don't bother to even know them.

6. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    I see the difference between a con man and a regular person is that the con man has no ethics or morals where as a normal person wouldn't do what they do out of moral responsibility. I'm sure I could con many people if I really wanted to as it's not that hard or really take a lot of intelligence.

7. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

I'm not following you. Hispanic heritage is not a physical heritage , its a cultural heritage and it was being compared to African heritage (a physical heritage) instead of Black heritage(cultural heritage).

Apples to oranges.

So I ask again. Did you read the thread? Thats why
    I asked.

8. Lanny

My God, Hispanics have a genetic heritage that is Indian and Spanish mix. Africans re referred to as Africans because their genetics show African features. There is the occasional White African but that is quite rare and when we say African we mean someone with African genetics in them.
    Hispanics that are not of Indian, Spanish or mixed Indian-Spanish genetics are rare as hens' teeth although they do exist.
    When we say Japanese we immediately think of Japanese genetics.
    When we say Korean we immediately think of Korean genetics.
    When we say Polish we immediately think of someone with slavic genetics.
    There are a few countries where this may not be true but for Hispanics and Africans we do think of their genetics.

9. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

My God......

You didn't read the thread.

You cant consider Cubans and Mexicans, Hispanic heritage and not say Zimbabwe and Africa and Somalia and Nigeria are not Black heritage.

Asian Culture is vast too and is compromise of Koreans and Chinese and Japanese....

Not sure how you can equate the other races to be a culture but not allow Blacks to have the same and have to distinguish between Africans and Somalians.....

It's apples to oranges.

Joe Biden was wrong in Saying Africans. He should have Said the Black Culture. Not the African Culture. If you don't get that then that's on you.

I'm done discussing this. You are wrong and i'm right on this. Deal with it.

Sorry.

10. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

11. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

12. Shaboid

Shaboid Well-Known Member

The sad part is there are people that probably don't understand that Babylon Bee is a satire publication.
    Also sad, I can actually see him saying something along those lines.

13. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

What Biden said was ignorant in the least.

I think what he was getting at was that politically, Hispanic Americans are more separated in their political beliefs than African Americans, as he believes Hispanic people are more diverse in that that Hispanic encompasses in his mind more nations and cultures. (Cubans in Florida are more conservative than Mexicans in California.) Not sure it is a correct assertion.

14. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

No. I'm not a mexican.

15. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

No

16. Chris Craig

Yes, most Jamicans are actually of African descent, so they could be considered African Americans, or Jamican American, or just Americans

17. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    I think that the opinion in this tweet is wrong, but not completely wrong. I don't think this shows how Democrats really feel about black people, but I think it shows how older white male politicians often think about racial minorities, LGBTQ+ people and women. Biden is very much a product of the era he grew up in, which means he does have some problematic attitudes, blind spots and lack of familiarity in how to think and talk about these issues. That's why he also earlier this year bragged about having been able to "reach across the aisle" to work with segregationists, as if that were a good thing. Bernie Sanders had some of those same problems in 2016--he's still not the best when it comes to those issues, but he did seem to make a concerted effort to fix his thinking since then.

What this shows, as far as I'm concerned, is how important it is for the Democrats to make sure their party is as diverse as possible in terms of the leadership. As long as it's dominated by older (and even younger) white men, there's always going to be this disconnect, where even if the party "cares" about issues regarding identity, it makes crucial missteps and ignorant comments.

Biden wasn't intending to be racist or bigoted, in my opinion, but he ended up saying something profoundly ignorant anyway. The more that younger politicians who are non-white, non-male, non-straight cycle into the party, the better equipped the Democratic party will be in talking about and addressing more marginalized communities.

18. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Or just from Black Culture.

Cant believe this is a debate.

19. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    I have never heard anyone refer to a Jamaican as African. I have only heard of them called Jamaicans. I think you are really stretching it.

20. Road Ratt

Road Ratt King of my own little world

Trump is openly racist.

Biden is a product of his time (like Minstrel said). He is out of touch and doesn't quite understand how to convey himself on issues of color except in the context of the times he grew up in. Along with him being a gaffe machine and you are bound to get a bad combination of statements from time to time. It's a freaking wonder this guy ever made it in politics this long.