Tutorial: How to cut with the Pen Tool

Discussion in 'Tutorials/FAQs/Discussion' started by iFR3SHi, Nov 6, 2006.

1. iFR3SHi

iFR3SHi BBW Elite Member

This is how I learned it. It takes practice so might be hard at first.[​IMG]

2. ElMaster

ElMaster BBW Elite Member

Very simple stuff but thanks anyways

3. P0W3RBALLIN

P0W3RBALLIN BBW Elite Member

Well, I already know how because my dad taught me last night.. but damm it takes pretty long.. im not dat patient lol

4. BALLAHOLLIC

BALLAHOLLIC Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (P0W3RBALLIN @ Nov 6 2006, 11:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Well, I already know how because my dad taught me last night.. but damm it takes pretty long.. im not dat patient lol</div>Your dad uses Photoshop?

5. ReppinTheD

ReppinTheD BBW VIP

This takes way too damn long - just use the magnetic lasso tool - it literally takes like 30 seconds if you're careful. That takes like 15 minutes to get it perfect.

6. P0W3RBALLIN

P0W3RBALLIN BBW Elite Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BALLAHOLLIC? @ Nov 6 2006, 08:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Your dad uses Photoshop?</div>umm.. he used to work at this place that did embroidery.. and he did stuff on photoshop and illustrator and I guess he printed dem out? not sure lol.. dat was like hella long time ago.. he still uses photoshop but not as much as back den

7. niall2doc

niall2doc BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ReppinTheD @ Nov 7 2006, 04:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>This takes way too damn long - just use the magnetic lasso tool - it literally takes like 30 seconds if you're careful. That takes like 15 minutes to get it perfect.</div>Can you show me how to use the magnetic lasso as I use filter>extract and its not the best!

8. ReppinTheD

ReppinTheD BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (niall2doc @ Nov 7 2006, 05:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Can you show me how to use the magnetic lasso as I use filter>extract and its not the best!</div>It's just a tool. Where the Lasso Tool is, just hold your mouse on it until you see the magnetic lasso tool. Click on that and just literally go trace around your player. Oh Yeah, you might want to turn up the frequency a little higher too. (That option is on the top) Basically it just sticks to the outlines and contrasting skin color of the player. So it works best for example when theres a white / against black kinda thing going on. If you need more help, ask me again.

9. 7Goat

7Goat BBW Hip-Hop Head

eraser tool is the best way... simple and easy. I'll try all the other ways though to see which is easiest. Nice tuto!

10. LAZY

LAZY BBW Elite Member

I already knew but thanks for posting. Takes a pretty solid ammount of time to use the pen. I use it here and there

11. ElMaster

ElMaster BBW Elite Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ReppinTheD @ Nov 6 2006, 11:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>This takes way too damn long - just use the magnetic lasso tool - it literally takes like 30 seconds if you're careful. That takes like 15 minutes to get it perfect.</div>Takes a lot more than 15 minutes if you want a perfect cut.I've seen people on Gamerenders.com take more than 5 hours on a single render.

12. S_Gurad

S_Gurad BBW Elite Member

For all my sigs and stuff I use the polygonal lasso tool Feathered at 1 px..... Then I inverse the selection. For mac Cmd+shift+I Copy the image layer.Delete the inverse selection(the background) by pressing delete on a mac or backspace on PCThere ya go im done. BUTYou may have to press DELETE a second time. I just noticed that to really clean up any background residue left. I aint wastin no time makin no picture illustrations for this explanation, but just to note.I love my results!!It does not take long at all either depending on the cut. I've never taken longer than 10 mins. On average I can finish them in 5 minutes for semi complex. Simple like that baseball one shown above.... it would take me about 3 mins or less.If you like the Pics I cut for the bbw team banners then u will like this method.Pau gasol in the grizz banner however I just selected the yellow background so there is a little bit of yellow lining around his hair. Hey that sh*t saved some time. Yall white boys and your loose hair... JESUS!! :happy0144: and braids wearin blacks....

13. And1Ba11a

And1Ba11a BBW Member

thanx for the help [​IMG]