Ty Willingham

Discussion in 'College Football' started by Pack Attack, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Pack Attack

Pack Attack The KISS Army

Anyone else think Ty was robbed by Notre Dame? How can they fire him? He's taken them to two bowl games in three years and they were 10-2 two years ago!

Notre Dame beat two or three ranked teams this year, including Michigan and Tennessee. I just don't get it. He deserves better.

2. Bearsfan1

Bearsfan1 2 Time Defending FF Champion

He was not recruiting well in general, things werent getting better. They made the right move.

3. Cowboy71

Cowboy71 Dallas Cowboys *********

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearsFan1)</div><div class='quotemain'>He was not recruiting well in general, things werent getting better. They made the right move.</div>

I think you are the first person I have heard say that.

I think Notre Dame has an identity issue. Today its tough to be like the good old days and have quality students and a #1 ranked football team. I'm not saying it can't be done, or isn't done today....its just pretty tough.

4. Cowboy71

Cowboy71 Dallas Cowboys *********

5. Pack Attack

Pack Attack The KISS Army

They've wanted Meyer for a long time at Notre Dame. I think that's the real tragedy of the Willingham situation. They basically made him an "interim coach" until they could get the guy they really wanted.

Reminds me of how the Lions gave Marty Morniwheg two years while they waited for the Mooch.

6. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

I know 10-2 and 2 bowl gams in 3 years seems good, but in college at an elite lvl program, its not good enough.....the problem is that Notre Dame isnt an elite level program but they think they are.....Urban Meyer can win at Notre Dame if he can recruit, something he has not proven to be an elite coach at yet.....If you take the Notre Dame job, you have to accpet that you can win it all, but you arent likely to last 10 years because the expectations are overblown....

7. Thoth

Thoth Sisyphus in training

Willingham got shafted but like temporary BYU AD Tom Holmoe said at Crowton's firing (it was a firing despite what was said), "College athletics is a business." & a case of what have you done for me recently.

Urban Meyer can win at Notre Dame. Though, I can't see the spread offense being run @ ND. I would say there is about a 40% chance of Meyer staying simply because his wife really likes it here.

8. Thoth

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cowboy71)</div><div class='quotemain'>I think Notre Dame has an identity issue. Today its tough to be like the good old days and have quality students and a #1 ranked football team. I'm not saying it can't be done, or isn't done today....its just pretty tough.</div>

The same could be said for BYU. They want a coach who is LDS & they want athletes who can & will live by the Honor code essentially living LDS standards.

It can be done. Though, they are greatly limiting themselves in terms of finding a coach. There are some hardcore & clueless BYU fans who I'm sure think Andy Reid is a given for the job. Even if the Iggles lose another NFC c'ship, AR knows that his bread is buttered in the NFL & returning to the collegiate ranks is a major step backward.

9. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

I cant imagine Urban Meyer being the coach at Utah past the bowl game this year, his name is too hot, he may never again get the chance to write his own ticket....the one knock I kep hearing about him is an unproven record as a recruiter....that makes me wonder if a pro job in a warm weather city would interest him....

10. Thoth

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheBeef)</div><div class='quotemain'>that makes me wonder if a pro job in a warm weather city would interest him....</div>

I had that very thought but did not dare mention it. Urban at least has a personality unlike old whats his name.

You raise a very valid point about recruiting. The backup here at the U is a fresman straight outta H.S. in Texas. He won't be 18 until Feb. The little he did play he was impressive. He is ideal for the spread offense as run by Urban which means in a few years he may the next overhypped "mobile" QB in the NFL @ a la M Vick.

11. Thoth

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cowboy71)</div><div class='quotemain'>Pardon me, BA, but.....

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3211400</div>

One of my friends works several floors above the local CBS affiliate & let me know about lunch time Tuesday that Willingham was axed.

So, it was only natural. Meyer has a special buyout clause in his contract should he become the next coach @ ND, Michigan, or Ohio St