UEFA president takes aim at Chelsea

Discussion in 'Europe' started by dycben, Nov 3, 2006.

1. dycben

dycben DYC 1st team Reserves

From Daily Mail
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">UEFA president takes aim at Chelsea
    By MATT LAWTON
    Last updated at 07:18am on 3rd November 2006

Lennart Johansson has taken a swipe at Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich after hinting that UEFA will be punishing the English champions and Barcelona in the wake of their controversial Champions League clash.

Johansson, in London yesterday to launch his campaign for re-election as UEFA president, is alarmed by the emergence in Europe of super-rich owners like Abramovich.

The Swede, 76, does not agree with the way clubs such as Chelsea are able to spend far more on players than their income should allow, arguing that it has distorted competition in the Premiership and Europe.

"If you are rich and you earn your money in a legal way and if you like to spend your money on horses, football, girls or houses you are free to do it," said Johansson. "But it?s bad business and I'm sorry it exists."

After seeing how the third meeting in as many seasons between Chelsea and Barcelona ended in yet more acrimony on Tuesday at the Nou Camp, Johansson admitted that European football's governing body should have taken a tougher stance with the warring clubs before now.

Chelsea will be fined for having six players booked and Barcelona could face disciplinary action for the conduct of their coach Frank Rijkaard ? who berated Italian referee Stefano Farina at the end of the 2-2 draw ? the behaviour of their players, who consistently crowded around the official, and the conduct of their fans.

"I cannot deny that we have been sleeping by not taking action earlier," said Johansson. "But I'm sure that now things will happen when it's so obvious, as it was this time. We had people at the match, so for sure there will be a report about it."</div>

Real Madrid and AC Milan have been buying the best players for years, Why are they now going to take action against everyone now?

Is it because its Chelsea and they see them potentially dominating the transfer market?

2. dycdan

dycdan DYC please wait...

It can only be because the game has gone truly global in the last decade or so and they are trying to protect the (percieved) image of the game. I don't know. like you said, Chelsea ain't the first.