UFC pushing Stipe Miocic as HW GOAT

Discussion in 'MMA - Mixed Martial Arts' started by speeds, Aug 16, 2020.

1. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

Fair or foul?

Feels like we were saying this about Werdum a couple of years ago.

Miocic's record is outstanding but he has come around at the right time, IMO. The vast majority of HW's he's faced have been on their career downsides, the wins over Ngannou and JDS notwithstanding. Cormier was aged 39, 40, and 41 when they fought; also, Overeem (36), Werdum (39), Arlovski (37), and Hunto (41). I know the UFC has been pushing the "heavyweights peak later" narrative but I think this is just indicative of the division they have had over the last five years rather than reality.

Can you say that Miocic is better than pre-Strikeforce Fedor?

2. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

I think its fair. Stipe is, for my money, the most underrated champ the UFC has even seen. The fact that he was put out by Struve shows just how hard it is to be dominant at HW; any night anyone can put your lights out. Stipe's wins over DC are legit, IMO. DC still probably beats about 95% of the opponents thrown his way. His wins over Hunt, Werdum (champ), and Overeem should not be taken lightly. Overeem has looked great throughout his career, with the one issues being consistent his weak ass chin. Stipe, IMO, has the greatest track record of any UFC HW and is right there with Fedor and prime Big Nog as GOAT HW. I dont think his run rivals Fedors; but its close just because he's done it on the biggest stage.

speeds likes this.
  3. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

If memory serves, Miocic suffered a bad eye poke that went unnoticed and led directly to the TKO vs. Struve.

4. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

I've been meaning to rewatch that fight because I just remember Stipe being put out. I think if I had to rank HW goats my rough order would be as follow: Fedor, Stipe, Big Nog, Cain, DC.

If Stipe can get by Ngannou one more time I think you can make an argument for him as the HW all time GOAT. It'll be interesting to see that rematch because I'm not convinced Ngannou is much improved. If Stipe can avoid him for 1 round and then wrestle, stick and move, will Ngannou gas again and be completely out of his element? Of course if Ngannou lands; he's super dangerous.