UFC releases Babalu

Discussion in 'MMA - Mixed Martial Arts' started by speeds, Aug 30, 2007.

1. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

The UFC has released Renato "Babalu" Sobral, former LHW contender, following a controversial victory over David Heath last weekend.</p>

Sobral was irritated by Heath, who reportedly wore a t-shirt depicting Sobral's mug shot from a past arrest, and called Sobral a motherfucker at the weigh-ins. Sobral openly confessed that he felt disrespected by Heath. In their match, Babalu punished Heath, beating him into a bloody mess, and eventually finishing the fight by rolling Heath over into an anaconda choke.</p>

The controversy began when Heath tapped on Babalu's shoulder, signaling that he forefitted the match. Referee Steve Mazagatti jumped in and put his hands on Babalu to signify the fight was over, also indicating this verbally and repeately. However, Sobral kept the blood choke on Heath until he lost consciousness, an extra three or four seconds after the fight had ended.</p>

The Nevada St. Athletic Commission decided to withhold Babalu's winning purse, a reported $25,000, after Babalu admitted that he kept the choke on intentionally to teach Heath a lesson about respect. Dana White released Sobral today, commenting that the fighter "blew it".</p>

Yet another stand taken by the UFC and MMA in general against excess violence and unsportsmanlike conduct that will be forgotten next time smear pieces on the sport run on TV and magazines, and by politicians trying to rally votes amongst the uninformed. </p>

2. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

Just in case you had any lingering respect for Babalu, he has issued this post-UFC statement...</p>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>I did not intentionally choke out David Heath. The first that I realized that David had tapped was when people told me that he did after the fight. When I finally had the chance to view the tape, I see that he did. When David tapped, I did not feel it. I wish I did for I would have let it go. Instead, I continued to hold it. Not because I was upset or wanted him to lose consciousness. I held it because I didn't know he tapped and I was intent on winning the fight. Holding on to a choke a little long is not an uncommon mistake made in training, and never in my career have I witnessed or heard of an injury resulting from it.

When I had the choke, I was not looking the referee in the eyes as one commentator erroneously observed. Nor did I hear the referee issue any verbal command to release the hold. Instead, my head was down to strengthen the move and my eyes closed with focus. As a result, I did not feel the referee tap me the first time either. It was not until he put his hands on my right shoulder that I felt him trying to separate us. When I felt this, I immediately released the choke.</div></p>

</p>

Doesn't matter if he felt Heath tap. He felt Mazagatti put his hands on his back and shout at him that the fight was over--which he intially ignored. Unfortunatley for Babalu, this is all on video. Sorry, Babalu, this political bullshit isn't going to smooth anything over.</p>

3. ghoti

ghoti A PhD in Horribleness

<div><object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0" width="425" height="350"><param name="height" value="350" /><param name="width" value="425" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="src" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vvbVU9RWmq4" /><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="350" width="425" wmode="transparent" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vvbVU9RWmq4"></embed></object></div><div>.</div>