USA announces roster for Denmark

Discussion in 'Americas' started by agoo, Nov 15, 2009.

1. agoo

agoo Member

From Ives:

GOALKEEPERS: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Marcus Hahnemann (Wolverhampton), Troy Perkins (Valerenga)

DEFENDERS: Carlos Bocanegra (Rennes), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Edgar Castillo (Tigres), Jimmy Conrad (Kansas City Wizards), Clarence Goodson (IK Start), Frankie Hejduk (Columbus Crew), Heath Pearce (FC Dallas), Jonathan Spector (West Ham)

MIDFIELDERS: Michael Bradley (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Ricardo Clark (Houston Dynamo), Benny Feilhaber (AGF Aarhus), Stuart Holden (Houston Dynamo), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Dax McCarty (FC Dallas), Robbie Rogers (Columbus Crew), José Francisco Torres (Pachuca)

FORWARDS: Jozy Altidore (Hull City), Conor Casey (Colorado Rapids), Jeff Cunningham (FC Dallas), Eddie Johnson (Fulham)

Castillo, Torres, Holden, and Clark were called in. Cherundolo was dropped, likely to participate as a pall bearer in the funeral of Robert Enke. Dempsey was dropped for being a whiney bitch as he apparently caused a scene on his way out of the Slovakia match. Marshall was dropped due to a lingering ankle injury.

I'm surprised not to see Jeremiah White added as he can play right back in a pinch (and we're sort of in one at the moment there with Cherundolo out and Spector playing centrally).

Here's my projected starting lineup:
    GK - Brad Guzan
    DR - Frankie Hejduk
    DC - Jonathan Spector
    DC - Carlos Bocanegra
    DL - Edgar Castillo
    MR - Stuart Holden
    MC - Ricardo Clark
    MC - Michael Bradley
    ML - Benny Feilhaber
    FC - Jozy Altidore
    FC - Eddie Johnson

I'm not liking Hejduk, but it seems that Spector is going in the mix at DC with Onyewu, DeMerit, and Marshall out for a while. I'll be looking forward to seeing Castillo out there making his debut for the US.

2. agoo

agoo Member

Torres withdraws from the squad for personal reasons.

This is a bit of a downer as Torres had a real chance to get meaningful playing time in this one. I'm sure Torres knows this, so it must be something serious. I'm hoping that all is well with him.

As for a replacement on the roster, I don't see it happening, but Jeremiah White is already in Aarhus.

3. agoo

agoo Member

The line-up has been posted.

GK - Guzan
    DR - Hejduk
    DL - Bornstein
    DC - Spector
    DC - Bocanegra
    MR - Holden
    ML - Feilhaber
    MC - Bradley
    MC - Clark
    FC - Altidore
    FC - Cunningham

Bench: Conrad, Rogers, Goodson, McCarty, Castillo, Hahnemann, Johnson

4. agoo

agoo Member

USA up 1-0 after about 28 minutes. Jeff Cunningham with the goal of his international career. I'm at work so I'm only half watching and missed the goal. I'll probably watch later tonight and do my usual full updates.

Denmark also makes an early sub in the 35th or so. Seems like lots of back and forth action and lots of work for both keepers in the first half. Hopefully that stays up.

5. agoo

agoo Member

Second half hasn't been going so well. Denmark is up 3-1. Castillo is in for the US, which may well be the highlight of the match.

6. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

Not missing Benny I guess...

7. rocketeer

rocketeer Active Member

the US is just terrible without donovan.

that was an ugly game for the US. feilhaber looked like the only guy interested in playing the 2nd half.