USA men's basketball team advances to gold medal game with defeat of Spain

Discussion in 'PyeongChang 2018' started by truebluefan, Aug 20, 2016.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

The anticlimactic outcome of Spain-USA failed to match the pregame hype of their men’s Olympic basketball semifinal game.

Given the USA’s supposed vulnerability after three close victories against Australia, Serbia and France in pool play, this was supposed to be Spain’s best chance of the past three Olympic matchups to beat the Americans.

Even Spain’s Pau Gasol believed that.

“That’s just the way I felt. I don’t think they’re playing as well as other times they have played. They’re still a very talented team individually, but I feel like if we would have been a little bit sharper with our shots, moved the ball a little better and boxed out a little more, it’s a two or three possession game and you’re talking about a whole different story.”

It was Spain’s once in a lifetime chance and turned out same as it ever was — another U.S. victory over Spain. This time, it was 82-76, and Spain will leave another Olympics without a coveted gold medal. It lost to the U.S. in the final game at the 2008 Beijing Olympics and 2012 London Olympics.

Read more http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...016/08/19/usa-mens-basketball-spain/89005928/