USA v. El Salvador - matchday

Discussion in 'Americas' started by agoo, Sep 5, 2009.

1. agoo

agoo Member

USA takes on El Salvador tonight at 8 pm EST in Salt Lake's Rio Tinto Stadium. Its looking like 17 points will guarantee automatic qualification, so three tonight against El Salvador would be huge as the US would need only 4 in the last three matches to reach 17.

The US enters this match with some questions to answer after the qualifier in Mexico.

First, they'll be lining up without Oguchi Onyewu due to yellow card accumulation and Jay DeMerit is likely out with a groin injury. So now who lines up with Carlos Bocanegra in central defense? Chad Marshall seems likely, while Clarence Goodson should be on the bench.

Second, what to do in central midfield? Michael Bradley is an obvious automatic, but who fits next to him? Ricardo Clark is the choice for defense, but the team had a much improved attacking edge in Mexico when Benny Feilhaber was on the pitch. Another thing to consider is whether or not Feilhaber and Clark are only keeping the seat warm for Jermaine Jones and Maurice Edu as they both recover from broken legs.

Third, who goes up top? Jozy Altidore and Charlie Davies are the duo for the future, but Altidore's match fitness is still a question and he'll be needed on Wednesday as well. If Jozy doesn't start, who goes along side Davies? Brian Ching and Conor Casey are options if a target man is desired, while Robbie Findley can match Davies for speed, but is not likely to start. One idea pitched by Ives Galarcep was to go with Davies and Dempsey up front and Stuart Holden on the right. Holden was terrific against Mexico and would likely fair well against El Salvador, while Dempsey has paired well up front with both Davies and Altidore.

One story lost in this match is that Arturo Alvarez is about to become the first player to appear for a US National Team and then play against them at the senior level. Alvarez appeared at both the U-20 and Olympic level, though only in qualifying tournaments. Alvarez is likely to have some motivation to put on a show, but might not quite have the skills to match.

2. agoo

agoo Member

The match is in the 7th minute now. US has one of the most attacking lineups I have seen in a while. Altidore and Davies up top, Donovan, Bradley, Feilhaber, Dempsey from left to right in midfield, then Bornstein, Marshall, Bocanegra, and Spector from left to right in defense. Tim Howard, of course, in goal.

There's a bit of an El Salvador majority in Salt Lake City of all places. I'd expect this in Chicago against Poland or Houston against Mexico, but this is El Salvador coming to Salt Lake City. What's up with that?

Pre-match interview clip with Landon Donovan was very open and honest. As he put it, "If we don't beat El Salvador at home, we don't deserve to go to the World Cup." That's true, but not something you hear often.

As for the match, Altidore can physically dominate the defense and Davies is the fastest guy on the pitch. We've had two corners, a long attacking throw, and a free kick in the 10th now without a shot on goal. Chad Marshall is 6-4, but he isn't near the threat that Onyewu is on set pieces.

3. agoo

agoo Member

In the 14th now and I know its early, but if I'm Jonathan Bornstein I am going like a bat out of hell looking to get involved in the match. Edgar Castillo is coming soon and this could be Bornstein's last chance to make himself the first option without pressure from Castillo.

15th minute and the Honduran officiating crew are making some very questionable calls against the US. Apparently when the El Salvadorian defense is clutch, grabbing, and/or tripping us, its our fault.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  4. agoo

agoo Member

In the 20th, Bradley takes a shot from distance, but it wasn't the best idea. He sent it low and wide. It was a questionable choice though as there was just open space between him and the keeper. I like those shots if they're coming through defenders and forwards, but if you have the room, keep it moving forward.

5. agoo

agoo Member

Just noticed something moderately interesting. Benny Feilhaber is wearing the number 5 jersey today. He was wearing that when he started making appearances with the US, but Onyewu took it when Benny fell out of favor with Bob Bradley. I'm not suggesting that Onyewu is out of favor, but I find it interesting that Benny is taking it back for at least tonight with Onyewu out suspended.

6. agoo

agoo Member

Davies is a beast. In the 28th, he went with a few step overs and got into space near the box. He sent a low cross that went through to Dempsey on the right, but Clint's shot went just wide to the left of goal. Best chance thus far for the US.

7. agoo

agoo Member

Another chance in the 30th as Donovan's free kick goes off Bocanegra and out. Bradley was waiting for it, but Bocanegra nearly hit Dempsey and Marshall with the flick.

8. agoo

agoo Member

A brilliant header from Castillo in the 32nd gives El Salvador the lead.

Bornstein with one of the worst clearances I have seen a while as he boots it weakly over his head and into his own box. Howard made a mistake by coming out for the ball to compound the problem and Castillo's header was popped brilliantly into the back of goal.

Not looking good for Bornstein with Edgar Castillo coming in. US needs to get the ball to Feilhaber and Donovan to settle down and get some attack going.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  9. agoo

agoo Member

Davies with a chance from out of no where. Marshall pops an aimless pass into the box and Davies splits two defenders and nearly chipped it into goal. Davies is looking very dangerous tonight. He just needs better service through the middle. He's had a lot of possession on the left flank.

10. agoo

agoo Member

In the 39th now and Spector sends a great cross in that goes through to Dempsey. Dempsey heads it straight down and it pops over goal though. All he had to do was hit it forward and we were tied.

In the 40th now and Donovan, Altidore, and Davies almost hook up for a great goal. Altidore received the ball at the top of the box and set it out wide for an on coming Davies. However, El Salvador got a defender there just in time to clear it off the line as the keeper had no chance at it at all.

As an aside, the ussoccer twitter is running ahead of the ESPN360 view of the match.

DEMPSEY WITH A GOAL in the 41st minute of play. El Salvador tried an offside trap on a free kick, which worked brilliantly. Except, Dempsey got a head on the ball after he made a run from an onside position. Brilliant work by Dempsey and a shockingly good call from a CONCACAF official.

11. agoo

agoo Member

The US has been dropping off a lot on defense. Too much for my comfort really. I'm surprised that we aren't seeing Tim Howard going bananas and screaming for Marshall and Bocanegra to step up. They've been holding a flat line at the top of the box.

In the 45th, Davies with a run on the right and he gets inside the six, before cutting it back for an on-coming Bradley. It was cleared though. Would have been a great goal if it went through as Bradley is dangerous from that spot if we remember his Heerenveen days.

Two minutes of stoppage time and Altidore earns a corner with a minute to go. Its cleared, but a second corner is taken short, but that's cleared out to midfield. The US stays on the attack and there are two chances cleared before Donovan sends a cross that Altidore heads right into the back of the net. And there was the stanky leg we were waiting for from Altidore and Davies in the corner.

12. agoo

agoo Member

USA goes into the half up 2-1. El Salvador's coach was getting into with the officials on their way out. Not really sure why. The offside trap call was very much correct as Dempsey actually ran into one of the trappers on his way in as the ball was being kicked by Donovan.

13. agoo

agoo Member

Halftime now and the top players for the US are clearly Altidore and Davies. Davies has been looking dangerous all match and Altidore has done the same when he's gotten the ball at his feet. Bradley has been popping up in attacking positions, which I don't expect to see when he's paired with Feilhaber, but I like it tonight.

Dempsey is an odd case with the US. He seems to try too much when he's on the right, but then he pops up with a brilliant chance and a goal. He still hasn't really played too well for me.

In the second half, I'd like to see a lot more of Feilhaber and Donovan getting the ball and providing service for Davies and Altidore.

14. agoo

agoo Member

Halftime couldn't have come at a worse time for the US as they were really firing on all cylinders there at the end of the first. No changes for either side at the start of the second.

USA has knocked it around fairly decently for the first minute. And here's a fun fact, Donovan picked up his 40th assist on the Dempsey goal to go with 41 career goals. Donovan now has twice as many assists as any US player ever, except Cobi Jones.

And speaking of Donovan, he sends in a rocket from distance in the 47th, but it went slightly over.

15. agoo

agoo Member

I've noticed a lot of Bornstein going backwards. He needs to get into the attack. Spector has been showing him up thus far big time, but Spector has more room as Dempsey tends to drift into the middle of the pitch.

And Altidore still has a very MLS-like first touch. Its not Eddie Johnson bad, but it a big time area for Altidore to focus on if he is going to fulfill his immense potential.

And in the 51st, former American Arturo Alvarez comes off. He had a few moments, but wasn't much of a threat. He came in with a hamstring injury and was tugging at a heavy wrap on his way off.

16. agoo

agoo Member

Spector has had a couple of iffy crosses this half. Really hoping to see some more of the threatening action he provided from the right in the first half.

In the 52nd, Davies forced a turnover in terrible position and slid the ball over to Bradley for a shot from the top of the box. But he sent it over the goal. He's getting frustrated with his shots and when he gets like that, he takes dumb cards. The US is going to need him to not get a yellow or, I think, he'll be suspended for the Trinidad match.

17. agoo

agoo Member

We're in the 58th now and Dempsey and Altidore make an astounding connection for a goal. Dempsey stole the ball and made a sliding pass in for Altidore who forced his way past the defender and then sent the ball through the keeper's legs.

Somehow, the referee called it off. I'm still waiting to figure out why. There was no foul on either Dempsey or Altidore and Altidore was well onside as he didn't start his run until he realized Dempsey sent in a pass. The sideline official didn't raise his flag to call offside either. Still waiting for an explanation, but I don't think we're getting it.

18. agoo

agoo Member

In the 62nd, Donovan and Demspey lead a great counter attack, but Altidore was called offside when receiving a pass from Donovan. This call was legit.

Still waiting for a valid explanation on the previous call. John Harkes' best guess is that they called Dempsey on a follow through on the pass as an on rushing El Salvadorian defender tripped over Dempsey. However, the ball was long gone by that point and it was the defender was to blame for the contact as he had plenty of time to pull out of the challenge and ended up hitting Dempsey in the stomach.

El Salvador with another attacking sub and they went into a 3-5-2. And more interesting calls from the side judge as Altidore gets run over in the 64th, but some how managed to commit a foul, despite having position and trying to maintain it.

19. agoo

agoo Member

In the 65th, Dempsey was making a great run all alone on goal, but sent a weak shot forward and right into the keeper. On the rebound, Davies ended up with a chance, but Feilhaber would have been the better option.

20. J_Ray

J_Ray JBB JustBBall Member

I just started watching this around the 60th minute....this game is pretty sloppy right now and these refs are the 3 blind mice.