Van Exel and Dampier could be heading to Portland in exchange for Sheed

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Accord, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Accord

Accord JBB JustBBall Member

Van Exel and Dapier could be heading to Portland in exchange for Sheed

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Nick Van Exel's agent said Thursday that there was a better than 50 percent chance that the Warriors will deal the high-priced point guard before the NBA's trade deadline.

Tony Dutt put the odds at 60-40 that Van Exel, the centerpiece of the team's offseason makeover, will be moved before Feb. 19.

"My gut feeling is that they're going to try to make a deal that makes sense for Nick and makes sense for them,'' Dutt said in a telephone interview from Houston, where Van Exel has spent the week dealing with a family matter. An injured Van Exel is expected to be in the Bay Area today, but when he plays again is uncertain.

Warriors general manager Garry St. Jean did not return a call seeking comment.

As the deadline approaches, Van Exel figures to be the subject of several trade rumors. His playoff success with the Dallas Mavericks last season and reputation for hitting clutch shots make him attractive to championship contenders. Also, his hefty contract is close to expiring. </div>

Click here for the rest of the article.

2. cArMeLo15

cArMeLo15 JBB JustBBall Member

If St. Jean were to trade Dampier then I would stop following the Warriors.

3. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting cArMeLo15:</div><div class="quote_post">If St. Jean were to trade Dampier then I would stop following the Warriors.</div>There are a few things to remember before you start making comments like that.

Dampier can, many even think will, opt out of his contract at the end of the season. He has proved that he is an ellite center in this league and there are many teams willing to give him a big contract.

Also remember that Nick does not want to be here and has not lived up to expectations. This would be an easy way to get rid of his contract.

It would also give the Warriors that one superstar that they badly need.

I'm not saying I would like this trade, but try and look at it from all angles.

4. cArMeLo15

I know Dampier is going to get big contract offers, so why wouldn't the Warriors try and match other teams? He's proved no doubt that he's an amazing player. Hopefully Damp stays right here where he belongs. Anyway, I don't care of NVE leaves. Plus, don't worry about what I said, I was over exaggerating, but I would still be very pissed if Erick would not come back to GS.

5. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    Rasheed would be a perfect compliment to J-Rich. Trading away Dampier isn't a bad idea. Everyone's talking about how much improved he is but even Troy Murphy had better numbers last season than he has now. When Murphy gets back and the Warriors play him at center, there's not a gaping void! The Warriors would have Murphy,Wallace,Robinson,Richardson, Claxton starting and Dunleavy coming off the bench. With that lineup and Wallace staying focused, I don't see why the Warriors can't rally to grab a spot in the playoffs!

6. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting cArMeLo15:</div><div class="quote_post"> Hopefully Damp stays right here where he belongs. Anyway, I don't care of NVE leaves. Plus, don't worry about what I said, I was over exaggerating, but I would still be very pissed if Erick would not come back to GS.</div>I agree. I don't blame you for being frustrated, I've been frustrated for 9 years.[​IMG]

7. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting franchise3:</div><div class="quote_post">Rasheed would be a perfect compliment to J-Rich. Trading away Dampier isn't a bad idea. Everyone's talking about how much improved he is but even Troy Murphy had better numbers last season than he has now. When Murphy gets back and the Warriors play him at center, there's not a gaping void! The Warriors would have Murphy,Wallace,Robinson,Richardson, Claxton starting and Dunleavy coming off the bench. With that lineup and Wallace staying focused, I don't see why the Warriors can't rally to grab a spot in the playoffs!</div>You make a good point but there is no way Murphy will be able to match up against the Centers from the West. Dampier has a huge body and has been dominating the boards. It would be a huge loss but one I'm willing to take if it can turn this team around.

8. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Damn Rudeezy beat me to it. Murphy is no center, definitely. LOL. Maybe in the East conference like Jeff Foster. The best centers can rebound and shotblock and play good defense. Murph is not a good shotblocker plus he is undersized for the center position to be able to play post up D. He better gain about 15 more lbs. Sigh they better not do anything with Dampier right now.

9. Trip

Student
    Murphy is 6-11 I think, same height as Dampier. Anyways, if Murphy doesn't work out, there's still a vet in Adonal Foyle as insurance at center.

10. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting franchise3:</div><div class="quote_post">Murphy is 6-11 I think, same height as Dampier. Anyways, if Murphy doesn't work out, there's still a vet in Adonal Foyle as insurance at center.</div>But Dampier is A LOT bigger than Murph. Weight is the key.

Yes, but that is assuming Adonal gets healthy soon. We need him badly, whether or not Dampier is here. He is a huge Defensive pressence.

11. Custodianrules2

The warriors have got to finish strong and that means we have to have a true center. If we are centerless we are truly done for. They've got to at least finish with a .500 record.

12. cArMeLo15

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">I agree. I don't blame you for being frustrated, I've been frustrated for 9 years. [​IMG]</div>

Tell me about it. Tough times being a Warriors fan right now. [​IMG]

13. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">The warriors have got to finish strong and that means we have to have a true center. If we are centerless we are truly done for. They've got to at least finish with a .500 record.</div>I dont' even think being .500 will cut it in the Western Conference.

14. Trip

Student
    Hehe I'm not a Warriors fan, but I think that a less than 38 win season would not be acceptable. Look at the talent on your team!

15. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting franchise3:</div><div class="quote_post">Hehe I'm not a Warriors fan, but I think that a less than 38 win season would not be acceptable. Look at the talent on your team!</div>You're right, it is not acceptable.

16. thePHentity

thePHentity JBB JustBBall Member

personally i hate this trade because im such a big fan of van exel, i always have since his LA days, and dampier is doing great recently. HOWEVER...i actually really really like rasheed wallance, and if you noticed after the blazers game, he was really cool and chumming up with the warriors players. unfortunately i really don't see where he would fit, unless he played center...you can't have 3 power forwards that deserve starting spots on your roster. foyle is a gimp right now, so the only possible solution would be sheed playing center. i like the idea of speedy starting, i always have, ever since he was signed. i was up on him early, and found out van exel was coming so i was even more excited.

it's an interesting deal though, because i think sheed would make the other players on the team better because of his superstar status.

17. Trip

Student
    Refresh my memory people. Who were involved in that team bus stopping last year between Portland and Golden State?

18. Purple N Gold

Purple N Gold JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting franchise3:</div><div class="quote_post">Refresh my memory people. Who were involved in that team bus stopping last year between Portland and Golden State?</div>

It was Chris Mills and maybe Ruben Patterson. I forgot.

I really hate to see Dampier go at this point, he has shown that he can be a top Center in this league, and has truly been playing like a beast this season. Van Exel, I don't mind, I would like to see Speedy Claxton start for the rest of the season. Warriors need some kind of change, if getting Rasheed Wallace will help them out this season, then I say go for it. Dampier is no lock for a re-signing, and if he was offered about the same or more money from another team, I'd believe he would take that deal, especially if the team is a contender. Rasheed Wallace gives the Warriors that All-Star calibur Foward. He can be a strong rebounder when he wants to be, and will add some nice scoring along with J-Rich to this Warrior team. Forget about his troubles, he is still a great player and could make a huge impact. Also, down the stretch of games, Warriors will have a go-to-guy who they can trust to put points up on the board. Sure, Cliff has been playing that role lately, but his age is getting up there and he may not be able to continue it for a whole season. With J-Rich and Wallace, they may be able to pull out games in the end from clutch shooting by the both of them. Hopefully, if this trade goes down Foyle will be able to stay healthy, or the Warriors could be screwd. I'll say it again, I hate to see Dampier go, he has really gave the Warriors an inside presence this year, and has carried the load through the bulk of the season, but right now the Warriors have nothing to lose.

This also makes me ask, who would get the starting nod? Wallace at SF, and Cliff staying at PF? Or Wallace to PF, and Dunleavy stays at SF? Then again, let's not get too excited, after all, rumors are just rumors.

19. Custodianrules2

it's going down. Many think its Stepania and Wallace for Sheed and NVE. It's not too bad if we get a 7'1" center in Stepania who has a nice touch around the rim and can rebound well. I think he is also a decent shotblocker.

20. Trip

Student
    Stepania in my opinion is a hustler and strong rebounder. It won't be much of a loss if the Warriors get him and Murphy and Foyle back from injury. If all these players stay healthy, I think this team won't suffer much from the loss of Dampier. In my opinion, I think that Foyle/Murphy/Stepania will hold down the centre spot and Wallace would move to power forward, bumping Robinson to small forward and a backcourt duo of Richardson and Claxton. If not, Robinson can be the team's sixth man and back up 3 spots in center and the two forwards.

The loss of Van Exel won't be much as long as Claxton keeps up his form of recent. Then the Warriors can sign another free agent guard to shore the point up.

This trade, in my opinion, won't hurt the Warriors at all, so I say go for it.