Van Exel "This is my last year...."

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by dee still ballin, Dec 24, 2004.

1. dee still ballin

dee still ballin JBB JustBBall Member

Van Exel "This is my last year...."

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Update: After putting up a season-high 26 points on Wednesday night against Milwaukee, Van Exel announced that he will retire at the end of the season, The Oregonian reports.

Recommendation: Everybody will miss Van Exel's big shots and excessive shooting. "It's done; it's a wrap," Van Exel said. "This will be my last season. I've been thinking about it for a while over these past couple months. Just getting up every morning, my body always aching -- knees, back, hip -- it just gets boring after a while." A 12-year veteran, the 33-year-old Van Exel is in the last year of his contract that will pay him $11.8 million.</div>

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=roto...owire&type=lgns

Wow. We will miss you Van Exel

2. skip

skip BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Wow. We will miss you Van Exel</div>

werd^, very unfortunate

3. notmuchgame

notmuchgame JBB JustBBall Member

Man, I feel old now ... I remember when Nick was just a rookie...now he's retiring? wow ...

If indeed he's retiring, thanx for all the memories (i.e The Boston Garden Shot)

4. NickVanExel

NickVanExel JBB JustBBall Member

Well I think all of you knew it was only a matter of time until I showed up in this thread...

On a serious note, I've been expecting this time to come for a while now. I remember when he was with the Lakers, Chick Hearn was always talking about the knee problems Nick had and how it would cut his career short. I hope Nick has a great final year with Portland but if he gets traded to a team contending for a title by the trade deadline, I'd be fine with that so he can go out a winner. I will definately miss Nick and I might change my username next year... [​IMG] Thanks for all the memories Nick.

How about that game vs Milwaukee though, wow, he can still play! [​IMG]

5. .cabangbang

.cabangbang BBW Member

Man the Trailblazers got screwed on the trade that sent Double D and Dickau to GSW for Van Exel. But boy that is good for Portland, they won't have to pay him, and typcially (reffering to last year with The Warriors) he won't play his best for a losing team .But thanks for the very few good memories as a Warrior

6. notmuchgame

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Air Pietrus:</div><div class="quote_post">Man the Trailblazers got screwed on the trade that sent Double D and Dickau to GSW for Van Exel. But boy that is good for Portland, they won't have to pay him, and typcially (reffering to last year with The Warriors) he won't play his best for a losing team .But thanks for the very few good memories as a Warrior</div>

How did they get screwed? Dickau wasn't in their future plans with the drafting of Telfair. Davis hadn't contributed anything, and like Van Exel, his contract is expiring. The Blazers basically just rented Van Exel for one season .. he's contributing more than Davis would have, and neither player would've been around next year anyways.... I doubt that the Blazers had any plans to keep Nick around for the long-term...

7. .cabangbang

.cabangbang BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting notMuchgame:</div><div class="quote_post">How did they get screwed? Dickau wasn't in their future plans with the drafting of Telfair. Davis hadn't contributed anything, and like Van Exel, his contract is expiring. The Blazers basically just rented Van Exel for one season .. he's contributing more than Davis would have, and neither player would've been around next year anyways.... I doubt that the Blazers had any plans to keep Nick around for the long-term...</div>

It kin of seems like they got ripped off. They have to pay NVE. And if he gets another knee injury like last year, then that trade will really come back to haunt the Blazers

8. D-Miles

D-Miles JBB JustBBall Member

nick is a great player but dan dickau was going to be back up pg!! look how good hes been doing on the hornets. he had a 23 point game a little while ago!! hes gunna end up like jermain oneal. but without the suspention.lol. hes gunna be a great pg some day.

9. AA13

AA13 JBB JustBBall Member

Man thats sad Van Exel will be leaving the leauge. He was/is a great point guard. He's been helping Portland a lot this year.

10. Dan Le

Dan Le JBB JustBBall Member

I'm gonna miss him, he was a great player...[​IMG] Thanks for the memories Nick Van Exel...

11. 50

50 JBB JustBBall Member

I also would like to thank Nick the quick for the memories.

12. Smoke

Smoke JBB JustBBall Member

well i had a gut feeling that he might retire. he doesnt seem to be playing with as much fire as he used to have. Espeially when he was witht he mavs.

I also would like to thank Nick the quick for the memories. Hey guys you better play with nick while you can on the video games that you got for christmas because he won't be next year's edition of these basketball games.

13. notmuchgame

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Air Pietrus:</div><div class="quote_post">It kin of seems like they got ripped off. They have to pay NVE. And if he gets another knee injury like last year, then that trade will really come back to haunt the Blazers</div>

Well, if they didn't make that trade, they'd have to pay Dale Davis, who makes approximately the same salary...

14. D-Miles

D-Miles JBB JustBBall Member

haha. true. but hes not that bad. i will miss you nick.

15. Fabfive

Fabfive JBB JustBBall Member

Nick is one of my favorite players. One of the best clutch shooters in the leauge.
    Im still pissed that Dallas traded him after he contributed so much to that team.

My favorite NVE memory:when Nick was still in Denver, they were playing the Raps..VC was guarding him. Nick gave him a pump fake which VC went for, Nick goes left looks back at VC after he left him, dribbles the ball through his legs then puts up the 15 footer and cashes in.

Thanks for the memories Nick!

16. Phuzer

Phuzer JBB JustBBall Member

Ah memories. Remember that shot over D-Rob in the playoffs? That was one of the greatest buzzer-beaters I've ever seen.

17. TheAnswerIsAi3

TheAnswerIsAi3 BBW Member

Hey...Im actually kind of glad Nick is retiring...Hes a veteran PG on the Blazers. Guys...you know what this means right...hopefully my man Sebastian Telfair finally gets his chance to start unless Damon Stoudamire [​IMG]. I really think Blazers are making a mistake not starting Telfair in the first place....he was averaging like 3 assists in 5 minutes but now hes went down a little bit and up in minutes. I really think Telfair has a chance at being the next Allen Iverson type player because if you didnt notice...they both weigh the same and are the same height and Telfair is just that type of player that can score, attack the hoop, and definately throw great assists to his teammates. Start Telfair! [​IMG]

18. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

You could tell he hated being in a losing environment, and its sad how he kept getting traded to crappy teams. He really was a great player and at least he timed his retirement.

19. Bba11er08

Bba11er08 JBB JustBBall Member

Blazers need a superstar i know alot of people think Zach randolf should be the core of the team but I have watched alot of games. not impressed.. [​IMG] I would know I live in Portland. I loved the blazers when scottie pippen was around ever since he left I dont watch blazers half as much as i Use to. Ive always like lakers since Nick was there.