Varejao might be out of the draft

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by sunsfan1357, May 15, 2003.

1. sunsfan1357

sunsfan1357 JBB JustBBall Member

From: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_online...2003/05/13/nba/

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">"After he averaged 9.2 points in 28.0 minutes for Brazil at the world championships in Indianapolis last summer, Varej?o (pronounced Vah-ray-ZHOWN) was seen by some NBA teams as a potential lottery pick. But in Sunday's final between the continent's powerhouses, hescored only one point in FC Barcelona's 76-65 win over Benetton Treviso. Scouts saw a poor shooter who lacked court sense and needed to build up his 230-pound frame. "He's so raw that you can't even define his position," said one. Added another, "Aren't there eight NCAA guys who can rebound and block shots as well as he can? Maybe three years down the line he'll surpass them, but right now I'd rather take [Kansas senior] Nick Collison." Sports Illustrated

Spanish agent Arturo Ortega says Varej?o will stay in the draft as an early entry if a team promises to pick him in the top 15, assuring him enough money to pay his $1 million buyout to Barcelona. Otherwise he plans to withdraw his name, return to Barcelona and hope the Spanish league will relax its rule on foreigners next season. That might allow him to get enough experience so that he can make the quantum leap expected of him.</div>

2. jjdaman20

jjdaman20 BBW Member

now it's darko's turn to get the spotlight...see how bad he is...lol

3. knicks235

knicks235 JBB JustBBall Member

i think he could say.......... it might be a promising carrer for him

4. BRockwell

BRockwell JBB JustBBall Member

the clsoer you get to the draft, the more scouts lie. Maybe not the case here, but it could be and its definitely something to keep in mind when reading it.

5. sunsfan1357

If the scouts are talking about how BAD a player is then they are 99.9% likely not to lie. All these scouts want to do is see players overseas and if they see something really great and report it they can take all the credit for discovering him. Same thing if the player is bad. If the player turns out to be a horrible pick then the scout who has been saying the player is bad can take all the credit for knowing what he is talking about. Here's a couple of posts from another message board that came from people who know a pretty good amount on the subject of foreigners in the NBA:

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">This kind of proves that these guys are getting overhyped. Although Varejao is a good player, and I doubt that many scouts were turned off based on 1 game (everyone has bad games) and he should be a good player, if he had 8pts and 6reb he might still be a lottery pick. A team might have picked him and he could have been a bust. I read an article that hinted at him being a mid-1st rounder at best. Last year he was said to suck, but now all of a sudden he was in the lottery. He has always had the potential, but don't be suprised if he is nothing more then a rebounder and defensive guy....Now that Sofo is being called 6-8 hopefully people will realize not to believe everything they read. The guy is a mid-1st round talent. He could go lottery because after Kaman he is the closest thing to a center, but he is not close to being NBA ready and probably doesn't even have great potential. I stick by my statement that Olumide Oyediji is a good comparison. </div>

and

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">overhyped? hard to say,i don't read anything that's written on the argument. More probably,it's been the usual case of misinformation by american basketball writers. But in fact Varejao was my top prospect for this year's draft coming out of europe last summer (had not seen Milicic play yet). No more so: what has happened is that...nothing happened. Varejao came as a rough prospect with little coaching from Brazil,but fantastic athletic skills. He hasn't made any significant progress in one year,and that leaves him as tweener who's lost in a halfcourt set. Obviously at this point one has to wonder whether the kid really has basketball talent.
    If he believes in himself he should wait another year to declare and work on his game (and play: he had few chances to do it this season),but if he fails to develop again,he might slip out of the first round altogether, To the very least he should be a mid-first round pick in 2003,he's too good of an athlete to pass at that point </div>

6. GatorsowntheNCAA

GatorsowntheNCAA Omaha Bound 2010!

ouch, about oo being his comparison. i think oo can be good, but just solid, with time. he has no offensive skills, but is a force rebounding. sounds like he sucks.

pc y the hell do you want milic to suck so bad? give the guy credit, it sounds like he will be better than the best player on your team. they compare him to the best player on your fav team. you should want him to be good, to give dirk a good reputation(having someone really good compared to him)

7. jjdaman20

jjdaman20 BBW Member

lol becuz there r no accurate stats on him...find me a site that has all his stats in his pro league...u guys r hypin him up with no info...

8. sunsfan1357

We are hyping him with the thumbs up of 29 NBA scouts.

9. STC

STC JBB JustBBall Member

10. Kid Canada

Kid Canada JBB Banned Member

i did nt see that

11. Spotk1us

Spotk1us JBB JustBBall Member

Carmello Anthony

I think Carmello can play real well. I think the nuggets will grab him. That dude can play real well. He's really a good player. I'd think he might make his team better or sort of better!

12. STC

STC JBB JustBBall Member

No one said anything about Carmelo. What are you talking about?