Vets and bad contracts to trade for

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by boredinsalem, Apr 25, 2017.

1. boredinsalem

boredinsalem Well-Known Member

Despite what Olshey says, I think we could use some vets that know how to win to take a little of the load off of Dame/CJ (and potentially get those guys' ear when it comes to shot selection). I think Dwight Jaynes explained it well. I can't help but think that Noah would be better off if he was playing next to a big that could direct him a little bit, for example.

In addition to the glaring front court weakness, it seems that we could use an additional perimeter defender (against PGs so that Turner/Harkless can spend more time against 2/3s) and more shooters.

Not all of these guys are on great contracts, but a few may be good fits in exchange for salary dumps. Obviously Amir Johnson (really any free agent) would be difficult to acquire with our current cap situation.

• Avery Bradley: Top of my wish list. A three guard rotation with him fits like a glove, and he and Dame can sub offense for defense at the end of games. I doubt Boston lets him go but he is an expiring, they will have a top draft pick, and if they go after PG3 or Butler those teams might not care to receive an expiring like him, and Boston would probably like to get him out of the East. (e.g., Aminu + pick 15 or 20 to IND/CHI for him)
    • Jared Dudley: way overpaid but a short contract, great 3 pt shooter, and great locker room guy
    • Tyson Chandler: same as Dudley, any way we could get them in a package while offloading a bad deal would be great. (I doubt Leonard/Aminu gets it done)
    • Trevor Booker: Doesn't fit with the current Brooklyn timeline, busts his ass as an undersized 4, good character guy. I would love to deal Crabbe for him.
    • Amir Johnson: Mediocre D, not a great athlete, bad rebounder, but nice shot for a 4, always in the right place at the right time, good locker room guy. Pretty much the exact opposite of Aminu.
    • Vince Carter: I don't see what we'd have to offer him but he would help our ball movement and teach guys vet tricks.
    • Demarre Carroll: His contract is awful ($14 - $15M for next two years) and his injuries are more than a little cause for concern, but he does all the dirty work and I am tempted to consider moving Crabbe for him. The Raptors are cheap and want to re-sign Ibaka, so this probably doesn't work for them, but they do need shooters.
    • Bismack Biyombo: Wildcard - Still quite young, seems very mature/would fit the culture and a 1/2 punch with he and Nurkic would be nice for insurance/rest. Albatross contract, but if we could dump Meyers it takes some of the sting off. Also, magic have a new GM that may want to get rid of a prior mistake.
    I'd love an offseason like this, not that it's realistic at all:
    • Crabbe for Trevor Booker
    • Leonard for Biyombo
    • Aminu/15 for Bradley
    • cut Ezeli
    • Draft Semi Ojeleye and Jordan Bell for some athleticism/shooting guys, hoping to plug n play one of them at 4 after Booker expires and/or Noah isn't resigned.
    Note we would be in luxury tax territory, not sure who we could drop to get under, but I could actually see this team as a contender.

Lillard/Bradley
    CJ
    Harkless/Turner
    Vonleh/Booker
    Nurkic/Biyombo

With Bradley/Turner splitting the backup 2 minutes.

2. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

How is Avery Bradleys $8M a year a bad contract???

You're logic on him is correct but I fun they'd keep Bradley and play Butler at the 3. That would name Crowder available, who'd be a perfect fit. Would could send the 26th pick and our 2018 1st to Chicago in a 3-team trade that lands us Crowder. Crowders $6M a year is a nice number right now.

3. boredinsalem

boredinsalem Well-Known Member

Avery is a great contract, just a vet. I think the downside is that we likely wouldn't be able to re-sign him (or would need to jettison someone to clear up cap).

If the Celts keep Bradley do you suppose they're getting Butler straight up for the pick #1-4? Between Bradley and Butler that's a hell of a way to hide Isaiah's deficiencies on D. I do kind of think that Bradley isn't a great fit next to Thomas though b/c, unlike Dame or CJ, you can't hide Thomas on a 2.

4. GDiama

GDiama Well-Known Member

If they trade for Butler or George they definitely give Bradley or Crowder back and keep the other or maybe they give both. Only way some of them is available is if they sign Hayward for free.

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  5. BonesJones

It entirely depends on the team in the deal with Boston. If they'd rather have 2 of our picks than Crowder, then we hop into a 3-team trade and get Crowder.

6. BonesJones

Crowder > Bradley because he's signed for longer, and because he's a SF, not an undersized SG.

7. GDiama

GDiama Well-Known Member

If I had to choose one it would definitely be Crowder as we really need a SF. Fits perfectly our team and has a great 3 pt shot, but two of our picks I don't think would be enough.

8. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Ironically, Portland probably has more vets with bad contracts than any other team.

dviss1 and SlyPokerDog like this.
  9. joeBlazers

joeBlazers Well-Known Member

Kanter (OKC) played 3 minutes total in their final game. I'm sure OKC would like to have some shooters and/or an additional scorer to go with Westbrook. Would you be willing to do business with OKC for their scrubs?
    40% shooter Alan Crabbe and/or Turner for Enes Kanter? Or some combination of Shooter Meyers Leonard/Mo for Enes.
    I think a half decent big guy with a little bit of skills can really help our team. If we don't have a backup and Nurk has to miss time next year with a little bit of injury, we are in trouble again.
    Biyombo can only rebound and block some shots. He can't score. He can't pass. He has pathetic footwork and I'm not sure about his BBIQ.

10. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

Kanter is the worst defender in the world. No, thanks.

0-Our! likes this.
  11. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Who Olshey offered a max contract to.

TBpup and GDiama like this.
  12. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

He is, but I'd actually love to plug him in as a huge 4 to play alongside Nurkic. With Nurk's passing skills and Kanter's rebounding ability, that could be a phenomenal frontcourt. Would he be able to defend perimeter-oriented 4's? No. But if Stotts has the discipline to stick with that lineup and exploit the mismatches and advantages on the offensive end, we could (for once) dictate to the opponent rather than constantly attempting to match up with them.

13. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

worse than Meyers? I don't think that is possible

dviss1 and TBpup like this.
  14. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

Any interest in Wilson Chandler, Rudy Gay or Kenneth Faried?

15. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    No, yes, and HELL no.

BigGameDamian likes this.
  16. 0-Our!

0-Our! Noob-ish

This is gonna sound nuts but... I'd choose to have Jae Crowder on our team vs. Paul George; I think Jae is a very smart signing w/ regards to age, money, contract length, AND IMO actually benefits/fits our team MORE overall. Again, my 1st option is Jimmy Butler but Jae is a very good consolation prize; the only reason why I would CHOOSE Jae over Butler would be the significant difference in $/opportunity cost associated w/ Butler & how we could use that to bolster other needs/position(s). Jae will be very attainable after this season; I'm pretty sure Bos will look to improve their roster w/ another star level guy whether it b Butler (tried to go after him once, they'll try again:wink:), George, Hayward, or whomever. We push hard as possible for Butler & Jae, whichever 1 we end up w/ out of these 2, I'll be incredibly happy w/!:smiley-yippee: When we go for Jae, I don't think we have much of what Bos wants so it's gonna b a 3-team trade but how ever it has to happen... NO... make it happen!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    riverman likes this.
  17. 0-Our!

0-Our! Noob-ish

u were close ^, FIFY, actually it should be: No, HELL no, and FUCK no!

18. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
  19. joeBlazers

joeBlazers Well-Known Member

Javel McGee? (spelling) anyone?

dviss1, riverman and SlyPokerDog like this.
  20. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

I don't want us to be the team that signs every backup center who lights us up in the playoffs...