Villarreal Owes Riquelme Nothing

Discussion in 'Europe' started by CelticKing, Nov 30, 2007.

1. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

<span class="titolo">Roig: Villarreal Owes Riquelme Nothing</span></p>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'></p>

<span class="sommario">Fernando Roig has stated that Villarreal do not owe Juan Rom&aacute;n Riquelme any money and expressed his relief that the Argentinian had finally joined Boca Juniors.</span></p>

The Yellow Submarine's president was relieved that the saga was over, but revealed that it would have been sorted out sooner had the player been willing to talk.

Riquelme moved back to Boca this week after spending the second half of last season on loan at the club as he was out-of-favour at El Madrigal.

"I am going to talk about this now, but will never discuss the matter again," he explained. "Villarreal does not owe anything to the player, we have paid up everything to today."

With the player receiving the majority of the transfer fee and 25 per cent owners Barcelona picking up the rest, Roig admitted that his club did not see anything.

"The club has not earned a single Euro from the transfer," he explained, before going onto state that the whole matter could have been dealt with before now.

"There were times when it appeared that we could solve this, but there was no will to push it though, nor to talk on his part and when there is someone that does not want to talk then it is impossible," he said.

The problems between Villarreal and Riquelme stemmed from coach Manolo Pellegrini's decision to cut short the Christmas break.

"It appears that he did not accept that and he played in the game against Osasuna with this conflict going on, although I knew nothing about it," Roid continued.

"From that moment on there was a lack of discipline and Riquelme though that he was above Villarreal. Like I have always said, nobody is bigger than the club."

Roig then said that he was pleased that the matter was finally closed and Villarreal can finally concentrate on their strong start to the season.

"We have had good and bad moments and it is obvious that it has ended badly. Now is not the time to go back over all that," he said.

"Things were complicated enough, but it has ended well and we are going to turn the page.

"We reached an agreement between the three parties and I do not think that there have been any problems. The team has been playing well, winning games and working hard.

"We cannot say that a weight has been lifted, but it was something that had to be settled and now we are all very pleased."</div></p>