Vlade Divac Gives Advice To Milicic

Discussion in 'Detroit Pistons' started by mike18946, Nov 14, 2003.

1. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Vlade Divac Gives Advice For Milicic

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The topic of conversation before Tuesday night's game was Darko Milicic, the 18-year-old rookie from Serbia Montenegro who rarely leaves the Pistons' bench.

The Kings' Peja Stojakovic didn't have anything to say to the Detroit media about his countryman, but Vlade Divac did.

Divac, a national hero in Serbia Montenegro and a role model for Milicic because of his 14-plus years in the NBA, took the 7-foot youngster to dinner Monday night. Divac told him to hang in there as he learned the ropes.

"He's too young," Divac said. "Coming over here with a new style of basketball and new culture . . .

"I'm very familiar with it. I was 21. It's harder for him because he's still a kid. I told him to be patient and work hard and listen to what people around him are telling him.

"Sometimes when you're 18 you think you know everything, but he's a great kid. He wants to learn, but you have to have patience around him because he's 18. He's going to get there."

Before the Pistons' trip west, Milicic was eager to get to Sacramento so that he could talk with Divac, one of the great big men from his country.
    </div>

Read the whole article here

http://www.freep.com/sports/pistons/early12_20031112.htm