Warrick says he's going #9.

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by upsidedownside7, Jun 16, 2005.

1. upsidedownside7

upsidedownside7 JBB JustBBall Member

2. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

I pretty much agree with you there, upsidedownside. We could always use another guy who wears a headband and plays some D, since we shipped out Cliff. Warrick really needs to get some meat on his bones to survive in the NBA, but he'll probably get at least a little bit of weight with time. Mullin and Duffy seem to be playing this one the same as last year, although Warrick doesn't have the same hype from teams picking ahead of us, like Biedrins did. Perhaps Mullin expects his other guys to be off the board, as well.

3. thedude9990

thedude9990 JBB JustBBall Member

i think its true cause he pulled out of his workout with the nets yesterday so if he pulled out then a team with a higher pick than 15 must of told im something

4. Map1986

Map1986 JBB JustBBall Member

i wouldn't mind warrick because if the warriors snag him then mully thinks he is bpa, but i would rather have granger>warrick

5. goldenstatefan

goldenstatefan JBB JustBBall Member

This sounds like Drew Rosenhaus and Willis McGahee with the cell phones on draft night. This line sheds doubt on the entire rumor: "First of all is the obvious fact that Warrick himself is telling anyone who is willing to listen that he is going to be picked 9th."

(Interesting he didn't say the team, if it's accurate that this what he's been saying: "9th".)

I don't think there's any way the Warriors would allow a player they make a promise to to then broadcast it. It makes no sense.

The Warriors are really in a key position in this draft because while there aren't a whole lot of stars in the draft, it's relatively deep in terms of guys who can play. I'm sure the team's below them have completely different lists of players they want, so there may be teams who fear losing a player they want willing to trade up. So the Warriors pick is worth more before they use it - if they intend to trade it - and certainly before they make their draft intentions known. So they don't benefit at all from this rumor if it is true and Warrick tells everyone about it.

Mullin and Duffy are close, especially after the drafting of Biedrins...I believe they even went together to Europe when Mullin scouted Biedrins. But that doesn't mean the W's will draft Warrick. Perhaps it does mean they'll scratch each other's backs. Word is Warrick's stock has been falling...so that may have something to do with this.

6. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Im not too high on Warrick. Maybe Mully thinks he can get Yao by coming even closer to Duffy?

7. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

The Warriors are usually good at being 'hush hush' on draft night. I don't think they would allow Warrick to tip their hand by making him or Duffy a promise to take him. From everything I've been reading lately, Warrick's stock has taken a hit because of his subpar workouts. He got beat soundly by Granger in their 1 on 1, and 2 on 2 workout. He also got killed by Julius Hodge when they went heads up. Both those workouts exposed two eye opening weaknesses of Warrick. He was not strong enough to handle Granger in the post, Granger is only 6'9, 225lbs. If Warrick is positioned to play PF in the league, he stands no chance against bigger players. In the Hodge workout, he showed a lack of lateral quickness to defend at the SF position. He's also a poor dribbler and struggled to create off the dribble, plus his jumper is shakey. So Warrick is too, weak to guard PFs, and too, slow to guard SFs, he doesn't sound like #9 pick, so unless the Warriors are trading out of the spot, I don't see them drafting Warrick.

8. upsidedownside7

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Run BJM:</div><div class="quote_post">Im not too high on Warrick. Maybe Mully thinks he can get Yao by coming even closer to Duffy?</div>

LOL I wish. At my gym we get ESPN2 and whenever I went to workout Warrick was on TV. I got a chance to watch him a few times while running. If I had to make a comparison I'd say he's like Jamison/Miles.

He's not as crafty as Jamison in the post but he's tough down there. If he puts the ball on the floor, expect a turnover. He's really worked hard to get a nice mid range game. He's a complete different player then his first year. He's also a good defender. Those long arms really make it hard for guys trying to get around him and shoot over him. He's very tough for his size and has wiry strength. He'll help with our rebounding woes as well. Did I mention he has a 39 inch vertical and can outrun anybody?

He's not a superstar player but he's a nice piece. We'd get much more athletic upfront. He's been in school for 4 years so he won't make bonehead plays unless he's asked to create for others. Great fit for the run n gun.

Take a look at warrick: http://www.suathletics.com/hakim/index.aspx

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/prospects

9. upsidedownside7

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post"> Warrick's stock has taken a hit because of his subpar workouts. He got beat soundly by Granger in their 1 on 1, and 2 on 2 workout.</div>

Actually Warrick did fine against Granger. He gave Granger a lot of problems and most scouts called it a draw. http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=203

I agree with you that we may not take him and #9 is too high but the only teams he's worked out for are in the lottery. He won't go past the lottery.

10. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting upsidedownside7:</div><div class="quote_post">Actually Warrick did fine against Granger. He gave Granger a lot of problems and most scouts called it a draw. http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=203

I agree with you that we may not take him and #9 is too high but the only teams he's worked out for are in the lottery. He won't go past the lottery.</div>

Warrick did well in the 1 on 1, but that's only because of his athleticism. The NBA is not a 1 on 1 game, it just shows Warrick will probably be a good player in transistion, but everyone has known that from watching him in college. I'm actually rooting for Warrick to be a good pro, but he sounds like a liability on both ends of the court. As great an athlete he is, Warrick is a poor shot blocker. He doesn't have the timing and instinct on defense. Darius Miles is a decent comparison, but Miles is a better defender, and Warrick is a better shooter. However, if the Warriors wanted a lanky athletic forward why not draft Andray Blatche instead? He has a lot more upside than Warrick and is still very young. He's a better shooter, taller, younger, he averaged some ridiculous numbers in highschool including 17 RPG & 8 BPG. The Warriors are deep enough at each position to wait around for Blatche to develop his game and reap the rewards in 2 or 3 years. He's already in the 6'11/7'0 range and at 18 there is a chance he could still grow. He will definitely bulk up and players who dominated in high school usually have success in the NBA.

11. da pimp 1

da pimp 1 JBB JustBBall Member

I agree i think he'll be a good player in 2-3 years. He has a lot to work on and he has to get used to the NBA.

12. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

I don't know enough about Warrick to figure out if this makes sense, he's exciting and all, but I really thought he was raw. This guy is compared to Stromile Swift, right? Will he be able to play power forward?

Why not Blatche or Bynum or Diogu?

13. da pimp 1

da pimp 1 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">I don't know enough about Warrick to figure out if this makes sense. This guy is compared to Stromile Swift, right? Will he be able to play power forward?

Why not Blatche or Bynum or Diogu?</div>

Of course he's not the best but he will be able to play that position. Like i said he will need some time to adjust.

14. upsidedownside7

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">Warrick did well in the 1 on 1, but that's only because of his athleticism. The NBA is not a 1 on 1 game, it just shows Warrick will probably be a good player in transistion, but everyone has known that from watching him in college. I'm actually rooting for Warrick to be a good pro, but he sounds like a liability on both ends of the court. As great an athlete he is, Warrick is a poor shot blocker. He doesn't have the timing and instinct on defense. Darius Miles is a decent comparison, but Miles is a better defender, and Warrick is a better shooter.</div>

1. You said he got beat soundly during the 1 on 1, which he didn't. Both prospects competed hard and put on a great showcase and were evenly matched. Warrick even said he didn't get a chance to alter those shots in the 2 on 2 with the draftcity guys.

2. He's certainly not a liability on both ends of the floor. Offensively has a refined post game and decent mid range shot. Defensively his reach will give anyone hell. Prince isn't very agile but his arms more than make up for that. At syracuse he was praised for his footwork. He also forced Granger into a lot of outside shots and Warrick has always said he likes to force bad shots. BTW: Miles is a terrible all around defender.

3. Is he the BAP at nine? Probably not. He has played 4 years in college and is pretty refined. He played in a tight structure in Syracuse and he's certainly no project. If this promise is true, then those projects must have had too many question marks and Warrick must have really impressed Mully.

4. Because he's a tweener everyone would think he would go to the late first but that's not the case.

Rodger Bohn: What teams have you worked out for so far?

Hakim Warrick: New York, New Orleans, Portland, Golden State, both of the L.A. teams, Toronto, and Orlando.

As soon as I read that yesterday morning, I knew there was a chance we would pick him. There is no player head and shoulders better than Warrick at nine. All those teams are upper to late lottery and Duffy is his agent. Getting Yao is a bunch of nonsense, but he had a lot of buzz around him until he worked out with NY. Monty said before the season ended we needed defense and athleticism. Run n Gun....

15. REREM

REREM JBB JustBBall Member

As Warrick is not an underclassman,there figures to be no promise,so he most likely assumes he made a big impression. Warrick has a nice mix of speed,stregth,spring for his size and build and has tailored his game to that. A lot of his offense is a quick slash to the hoop,and that led to him getting more fta's than anyone,though he shot a tad under 70% from the line.

At Chicago,Ike D showed great strength,,wingspan. His sprint speed was not as good as I expected,but he's high effort and even if his speed is not top tier,he will run at his max the whole game,unlike many.

Like Shape,I find Blatche very interesting. I am uncovinced by the allegations he is not tough inside. His RBD and blocks numbers say he is not only a perimeter big man. I have a hunch,sort of a read between the lines thing,that he's a bright guy and has had a strategy to evolve into a good pro player. He has developed some skills most guys his size will never have,and appears to understand that he will have to get the full toolbox to be the NBA standout he hopes to become. Obviously,there is a risk factor. Add to that,he IS a HS guy and,for now,the yardstick is just how he compares to other HS guys,which is he compares great. How that stacks up to all comers is the fun part. I like him more than other "projects" because I suspect he has assembled a pretty good package of skills and is not too far from being ready to get some floor time in the pros,which is where a guy really can learn. I don't know if the W's have checked him out,or plan to. There isn't Pre-Draft Camp data for him,so stuff like wingspan,true height,vertical leap,speed, are things we'd want to know about.

Blatche,physically,seems to be a PF/C. His mobility,range,ballhandling are pluses for a team looking to run,as a slower but bulkier C would not be the priority. Being also a PF candidate,maybe even some SF,helps.
    A Bynum is the BIG big man candidate,though he too has to face the measurement process. What appears to be there is a guy with both height and bulk,decent instincts and effort,a foundation to work with. Everyone would like to have a big with some "Shaq" qualities. This kid may not have nearly that upside,but if he's better than Jerome James,that's a pretty good deal for mid-first. As his skills are going to need polish,he won't help much at first,but his inside game is pretty decent,and He likely will be a player sooner than Petro,though not as soon as Blatche.

Getting back to warrick,he has shown ability to be consistantly effective,appears to know what he does well,and he's ready to do well for a team that runs and slashes while being less suited to a deliberate style. Kind of light for PF,but his strength/speed/spring combination is real sweet and bulking him up much could backfire. Not my top choice for the W's but if he was the pick I would not go down to the tavern and drown my sorrows.

16. Shapecity

You really under estimate Darius Miles defensively. He averaged 1.24 BPG last year and 1.19 SPG in only 27MPG. He doesn't always give 100% to his defese, but he can lock a player down. He earned his minutes on the Clippers by being their best on the ball defender.

Edit: Upsidedown7 check your PM for another evaluation of their match-up, which is why I said Granger was better in both.

17. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting da pimp 1:</div><div class="quote_post">Of course he's not the best but he will be able to play that position. Like i said he will need some time to adjust.</div> ehhh, not sure he's what we need for that position (power forward or small forward).

18. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting REREM:</div><div class="quote_post">As Warrick is not an underclassman,there figures to be no promise,so he most likely assumes he made a big impression. Warrick has a nice mix of speed,stregth,spring for his size and build and has tailored his game to that. A lot of his offense is a quick slash to the hoop,and that led to him getting more fta's than anyone,though he shot a tad under 70% from the line.
    </div>
    You know, that is kind of crazy how college seniors are suddenly getting draft guarantees or promises. First Channing Frye and now Hakim Warrick? It's entertaining nonetheless how far agents and players will go to hype themselves up so they can go higher.

19. .cabangbang

.cabangbang BBW Member

I doubt this is true. WE are getting Vazquez, Granger, or maybe WEbsetr

20. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

In one hand, if this news has any truth to it, I guess Mullin wants to make Warrick as lite-Stoudmire or Marion. After all, we do want a athlatic pf. With his superb athlatism mixed with Davis, Richardson and Pietrus in wing, and outside jumper from Dunleavy and Murphy, this team will be an amazing running team. And, I have to assume that he is a good post up player as well. With his superb athlatism, his potential is as high as it can get.

In other hand, can we do better with 9th pick? Also, is he what we are looking for? In offense, he can be a good fit for this club, and brings something we don't have. However, in defense, there is a limit of how 216 lb body can hold in NBA. Also, considering how quick and high he can jump, his block or rebound in college is rather disappointing. and, if we plan to make him SF... Why? Not only we already have Dunleavy, we have 3 inch shorter version in Pietrus. Also, we alraedy got burnt hard by drafting players, who's hired by one agent. So, why does Mullin making a same mistake?

I won't complain. But, I am not too thrilled either. And, if we do draft him. This is second straight years that we know who we are going to draft way before the draft comes. Is there a spy in our upper management or something?