Warriors #6 Draft Pick -- Short Breakdown with Videos -- Who do You Take?

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by AlleyOop, May 22, 2010.

1. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

Looks like top 3 are set with Wall, Turner, and Favors. After that, it might get interesting. Here are Ford's #1 through #9 picks:

1.John Wall
    2.Evan Turner
    3.Derrick Favors
    4. Wes Johnson
    5. DeMarcus Cousins
    6. Cole Aldrich
    7. Al-Farouq Aminu
    8. Ekpe Udoh
    9. Greg Monroe

A quick peek at the first three projected picks

John Wall

What can you say? This dude is the real deal. Looks like DWade/Derrick Rose material. He's 6'4" and and he's doing... that!?!? Wow.

[video=youtube;v4CbQGBbUOw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4CbQGBbUOw[/video]

Evan Turner

He's touted as being the best player in the nation. Yes, he looks very, very skilled for being 6'7". But I don't know that I would take him over Wes Johnson. In fact, I wouldn't.

[video=youtube;Vd8AnnLU3Rk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd8AnnLU3Rk[/video]

Derrick Favors

Reminds me of Stoudamire, but slower with more power. 6'9" with crazy dunks.

[video=youtube;99Od-U5IF4s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99Od-U5IF4s&feature=related[/video]

Projected picks #4 through #9 - Warriors have a realistic shot at these guys

Wes Johnson

This guy reminds me of Kobe, but with a little more Forward in his game (Rudy Gay?). He looks like a natural. He's slated #4 but if he dropped he would be my first choice. I would also take him over Evan Turner and Derrick Favors. Wes is my #2 pick.

[video=youtube;hxl8--py1Z8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxl8--py1Z8&feature=related[/video]

DeMarcus Cousins

Hollinger has him rated as the #1 guy with the most pro potential, based on PER. He seems pretty mean on the block, with good footwork, finishing with either hand. Kind of reminds me of Zach Randolph. But he also seems like a headcase (like Zach Randolph?). If Johnson's gone, then I would still go Cousins based on upside, and the fact he would be the BAP. Although he and Anthony Randolph would be a volatile mix chemistry-wise.

[video=youtube;lE9yObPb1xA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE9yObPb1xA[/video]

Cole Aldrich

No. I do not draft this guy. He's like a funky Greg Ostertag/Troy Murphy hybrid. He might be decent, but to me he has the least upside of anyone in the top 10. How Chad Ford has him at our #6 slot is crazy to me. Hollinger has him rated as #36 as far as pro potential based on PER.

[video=youtube;L4trsJcFNkw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4trsJcFNkw[/video]

Al-Farouq Aminu

This guy looks pretty athletic and explosive. He could be a good fit at SF for the Warriors. He seems pretty smooth and talented for being 6'8". he also seems capable enough to play at 3 as opposed to the 4, which would give the Warriors some added size and explosiveness to the tandem of Morrow/Azu. However, Nellie would probably try to play him at the 4. He would be a good complement for Curry, to catch a lot of alley-oops. If Johnson/Cousins are gone, I would probably go with Aminu.

[video=youtube;cIUnTeKdqWA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIUnTeKdqWA&feature=related[/video]

Ekpe Udoh
    A 6'10" lanky defensive big man, still developing offensively. Compared to Marcus Camby. Seems like he has the potential to be decent, but not a star. Hollinger has him rated #50 pro potential based on PER. I don't draft him. We have Brandon Wright, who is basically this guy with a lot more tools and a few years of NBA experience under his belt.

(Not much here, but go to 2:11 to see Udoh's portion of the highlights. PS this mix has the most annoying song ever)

[video=youtube;CfGyIB4pe2Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfGyIB4pe2Q&feature=related[/video]

Greg Monroe

6'11" PF called the "most skilled big man in the draft," my question is why, then, does Ford have Udoh ahead of this guy? Monroe looks impressive. 7'2" wingspan. He has some perimeter game too, with some driving and finishing, and some nifty passing (he's a lefty). Udoh seems like a more traditional post big man, while Monroe seems more athletic and diverse. Hollinger has him rated at #4 with the most pro potential based on PER. I'm tempted to take him at #6.

[video=youtube;vnMEmDeteMc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnMEmDeteMc[/video]

So here is my list, in order of who I would take if they are still available at #6:

1.Wall
    2.Johnson
    3.Turner
    4.Favors
    5.Cousins
    6.Aminu

Based on the way teams are projected to pick... I'd say my first 5 choices are off the board. If so, I'm torn between Monroe and Aminu.

Monroe is just so intriguing with his size and skills. However, based on our roster, if everyone is healthy, then we have Wright/Randolph at PF and Beans/Turiaf at C (plus Tolliver somewhere in there).

And we have Monta/Mags/Azubuike/Morrow/Reggie Williams at the SG/SF (although they probably won't all be back).

Honestly, I like our big man situation a lot more than I like our SG/SF situation. Morrow might be gone, and I want to trade Mags ASAP. If Aminu can truly stay at the SF position and develop "guard-like" skills, that would be ideal. We get size there (6'8") and a guy who can finish off of Curry. This would allow Azu/Williams to play more SG, which frees things up. That might make the Monta for OJ Mayo/Thabeet/Haddadi deal with the Grizzlies more realistic in the summer.

I would go Aminu at #6 if everyone else is off the board.

Last edited: May 22, 2010
    HiRez likes this.
  2. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    Great vids, Ally Oop. Much thanks.

I take back my comment on Aldrich being a good fit for Nelson :p. I thought he was more like Spencer Hawes from someone else's description.

Cousins is moving down. I'd take a chance at him at #6 He sounds like a bit of a head case. The T-Wolves should grab him at #4 though.

Wesley Johnson is on the rise, so it makes things interesting unless its smoke and mirrors.

3. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

As much as I think Cole Aldrich is a player we could very much use at the center position, we still have to swing for the fences. Let's get the BAP or whoever slips. We need a small forward or a highly skilled big man and there's plenty of those. I say go in this order: Cousins, Johnson, Aminu, Monroe, Aldrich.

I'll take a chance on Cousins at #6 for PF/C. Otherwise if Wes Johnson falls go for him as BAP small forward. Then Aminu because of the high upside as small forward, Monroe because of upside as a PF/C, then go for Aldrich because he's the safest best player at a much coveted position..

4. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Absolutely I'd take Cousins at 6. He would be BPA by a long shot there despite possible mental issues. Dude measured out to be huge. Its a no brainer at 6.

I'm with you guys on avoiding Aldrich. Wasn't completely opposed to him before the measurements but he only measured 6'9 barefoot. Somehow he got up to 6'11.25 but realistically he won't be playing with heels on. Only came in at 237 lbs as well. If he were skilled or athletic enough to play the 4 it could work but hes just too small for the 5. Basically a less athletic Biedrins.

For reference Udoh measured out at 6'8.75 barefoot, 6'9.75 in shoes. Had a wingspan of 7'4.5- a quarter inch less than Aldrich- and 237 lbs. He, however, helped himself a lot because hes a natural 4 with athleticism and skills to play the position. Considering that there is only a quarter inch separating the two I would say Udoh has to be more ideal assuming hes a significantly better athlete.

Also of note; Monroe measured out to be very large. 6'9.75 barefoot puts him at a very legit 6'11 in shoes and 247 lbs. Keep in mind this guy is only 19 (going to be 20 in June) despite having just finished his sophomore year. 6'11 250 lbs is big enough to play C where he could match up a lot better athletically and have a major skill advantage. I like both Monroe and Udoh but I would probably prefer Monroe for the following reasons a) Udoh is 23, Monroe is going on 20. b) Monroe is big enough to play PF and C. Udoh isn't a twig like Wright/Randolph but 237 lbs is small to play C. I like Monroe's bulk and he can be paired alongside Randolph/Wright for the future. Can you imagine Monroe passing from the high post to Curry/Monta/Randolph?

Aminu and Wes Johnson also measured out well. I'm not averse to drafting Aminu at this point. Dude is a GREAT athlete. Very smoothe, very explosive. Could be a monster on the break. At this point seems like a Gerald Wallace type of player but hes young and his handle and jumpshot can/should improve a lot. I maintain that if it came down to him vs. Wes Johnson I would take Johnson despite him being 3 years older. They're both 3's. Both very good athletes. Both are stat stuffers. Johnson has a killer jumper that Aminu would be hard pressed to develop by the time he's Johnson's age and Wes just has that killer scoring ability. Dude is an explosive scorer. FWIW Aminu appears to have a nice post game but at 6'8 215 hes a pure 3 in my view and I'd rather have Wes (whom I have and will continue to compare to Danny Granger!).

Really wish I could see their 40 times and all the other athletic testing results...

5. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    I'm with everyone here, take Cousins if he's available. Wes Johnson over Aminu and Aminu over Monroe.

6. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    Assuming Wall, Turner, Favors, Johnson are selected 1.2.3.4.. I'm for trading back. If Johnson Drops to 6, I take him. Otherwise None of the rest are worth taking at 6. Even Monroe, if you're for him, you can probably get at 8 or 9 and I think Alabi is a better risk reward at 10-12.

And I don't see a big advantage of a guy like Aminu over a guy like Xavier Henry for instance, and you can get him closer to 15. (Assuming we have Randolph and Wright still and Nelly is still coaching)

My take is that if you're hoping for this guy to come in and make a difference now, I don't see anyone on the board that can do that. If not, move back and take a risk on a guy and "develop" him or just trade the pick outright and move Magette's contract or package it with Ellis to get the right fit at the 2.

Let's shake this team up and start the new ownership's reign on the right foot

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  7. Run BJM

Randolph up to 235 lbs according to his agent. I'll believe it when I see it as it seems like we always hear these stories in the offseason about this or that player growing/gaining strength. I am more inclined to believe it with AR though because he actually did look taller when they said he got taller and looked stronger when he said he added weight. 235 lbs is a believable number too, especially since hes been injured since January. Steinmentz says its mostly upper body strength. Didn't know where else to post this lol. I guess it relates somewhat if we're still of the belief that hes our PF of the future. Between him and Wright (whom Nellie says would have been starting over Randolph) we've still got two good PF prospects. I've lost hope in Wright though because there has been so little progress in him adding weight and it makes him so injury prone. Can't see him doing well as a 200 lb. PF.

Adam has a decent blog on what to do with our pick. He sums it up right at the end " When you have the fourth worst record in the NBA, your need is basketball talent — not a specific position or style of player. Assuming Cousins and Johnson are off the board, I’d take Greg Monroe." This sounds pretty damn good to me. Cousins and Johnson would be head and shoulders above anyone else at 6 as far as star potential goes. After that I would take Monroe right now over Udoh, Aminu, Aldrich, etc. because hes got the size to play PF or C, hes very young, and very skilled. Best all around player when factoring in skills, size, and potential.

Good call on Xavier Henry CohanHater. I get the feeling that teams are catching on with Henry though. I think reports are that he interviewed very well at the combine and hes moving up draft boards. Given the dearth of big men from the 5th pick to about the 12th pick it seems like hes the defacto top wing player after Turner and could go somewhere in that range asusming some of these teams need a SG a lot more than a big.

8. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Ford's Mock Draft 3.0

He has the Warriors landing Cousins again.

Analysis: I think the Warriors will do backflips if Cousins slips this far.

He actually had a pretty good week in Chicago. A number of NBA GMs told me that based on Cousins' body of work, interviews and his measurements, they believe Cousins has as much talent as anyone in the draft, including John Wall.

Cousins has been compared to everyone from Shaq to Zach Randolph, but here's an interesting historical comparison to ponder -- could he be the next Moses Malone?

"He's huge, he scores around the basket, he's a terrific rebounder and he plays with a chip on his shoulder," one GM said. "How many 20-10 centers come along? Not very many. As far as a talent goes, he could be incredible in the NBA. The league has gotten smaller and quicker. Cousins would kill most of the big guys in our league today."

Cousins also fared well in the measurement category, comparing favorably in size to NBA centers. He measured a legit 6-foot-11 with a tremendous 7-foot-6 wingspan and 9-foot-5 standing reach. Those numbers put him on par with the likes of Dwight Howard, Greg Oden and Brook Lopez. His interviews weren't nearly as bad as everyone made them out to be, either.

While the Warriors have Andris Biedrins in the middle, he's nothing like Cousins, who can come in and be a big-time scorer right away. Teaming Cousins with with Stephen Curry and Anthony Randolph would give the Warriors a great foundation.

9. curry09

curry09 New Member

Cousins looked less than committed last year. I just don't think he played hard all the time. I'd rather have Monroe. I think he needs a system to help him blossom. Kind of like Jeff Green or even Duncan.

BTW, I forgot my password for philsmith75 and there is no forgot password function (How's that?) so here I am now.

10. Shapecity

here you go philsmith75

Forgot Password

11. AlleyOop

Whatever GM said that.... he's trippin... So Cousins would "kill" most of the big guys in our league today? He's not even in the league yet, lol. Yes, he has a lot of potential... but so have almost all the other top-10 picks in most drafts... Greg Oden isn't "killing" most of the big guys in the league... is this GM saying Cousins is more hyped now than Oden was in his draft?

I just think it's a little over-exaggerated here... Yes, he does look like a good draft choice, but let's not get carried away just yet!

12. Shapecity

How would DeMarcus Cousins fit with the Warriors ...

With the NBA draft about a month away (June 24), my goal is to lean on fellow Examiners to provide scouting reports for some of the players the Warriors may be considering taking with the sixth overall pick, with a special slant toward how these players would fit in with Golden State.

The first of the occasional scouting reports is on DeMarcus Cousins of Kentucky. In a poll here, 54 percent of voters said they want the Warriors to get the 6-11 freshman (the second choice, at 32 percent, was to trade the pick). That may be wishful thinking, however, as Cousins is likely a top five pick (some experts have him going to the Kings with the pick just before the Warriors').

Here's what Kentucky Wildcats Examiner Andrew Hardison had to say about Cousins.

Q: Can you give Warriors fans a brief description of his game?

A: Cousins was one of the most dominate players in all of college basketball last season simply because he is a monster in the low-post area and possesses an advanced skill set around the basket. No one could compare to Cousins’ physical demeanor during the 2009-2010 season, not even guys like Cole Aldrich of Kansas, Hassan Whiteside of Marshall, or Solomon Alabi of Florida State. Cousins was simply too much for opponents to handle down low and Kentucky benefited greatly from his presence.

The former big man from Kentucky has great hands, feet, and instincts as a center. He’s a better passer than most would give him credit for despite averaging only 1.0 assist a game. If he controls his weight and hits the gym, there is no telling how much of a force he could be for a team like the Golden State Warriors.

Q: How do you think he would fit in with the Warriors' up-tempo style?

A: With guys like Monta Ellis, Stephen Curry and Anthony Morrow in the back court, Cousins has a chance to benefit from a style of play that is similar to what Kentucky used last year. What is intriguing is the amount of three-pointers Golden State attempts in a game. Cousins could once again benefit from this with his ability to pass out of the post, setting up teammates for easy, open looks. If that’s the case, Cousins could very well lead the league in assists for a player at his position.

The flip side is that Cousins would also benefit from having so many talented guards running the court. Warriors combo guard Stephen Curry could very well play the role of John Wall if Cousins were to end up with Golden State; Cousins benefiting from a selfless, heady point guard. That means a lot of open and easy shots for Cousins.

With the NBA draft about a month away (June 24), my goal is to lean on fellow Examiners to provide scouting reports for some of the players the Warriors may be considering taking with the sixth overall pick, with a special slant toward how these players would fit in with Golden State.

The first of the occasional scouting reports is on DeMarcus Cousins of Kentucky. In a poll here, 54 percent of voters said they want the Warriors to get the 6-11 freshman (the second choice, at 32 percent, was to trade the pick). That may be wishful thinking, however, as Cousins is likely a top five pick (some experts have him going to the Kings with the pick just before the Warriors').

Here's what Kentucky Wildcats Examiner Andrew Hardison had to say about Cousins.

Q: Can you give Warriors fans a brief description of his game?

A: Cousins was one of the most dominate players in all of college basketball last season simply because he is a monster in the low-post area and possesses an advanced skill set around the basket. No one could compare to Cousins’ physical demeanor during the 2009-2010 season, not even guys like Cole Aldrich of Kansas, Hassan Whiteside of Marshall, or Solomon Alabi of Florida State. Cousins was simply too much for opponents to handle down low and Kentucky benefited greatly from his presence.

The former big man from Kentucky has great hands, feet, and instincts as a center. He’s a better passer than most would give him credit for despite averaging only 1.0 assist a game. If he controls his weight and hits the gym, there is no telling how much of a force he could be for a team like the Golden State Warriors.

Q: How do you think he would fit in with the Warriors' up-tempo style?

A: With guys like Monta Ellis, Stephen Curry and Anthony Morrow in the back court, Cousins has a chance to benefit from a style of play that is similar to what Kentucky used last year. What is intriguing is the amount of three-pointers Golden State attempts in a game. Cousins could once again benefit from this with his ability to pass out of the post, setting up teammates for easy, open looks. If that’s the case, Cousins could very well lead the league in assists for a player at his position.

The flip side is that Cousins would also benefit from having so many talented guards running the court. Warriors combo guard Stephen Curry could very well play the role of John Wall if Cousins were to end up with Golden State; Cousins benefiting from a selfless, heady point guard. That means a lot of open and easy shots for Cousins.

(Note: According to report in The Chronicle, Cousins had 16.4 percent body fat, the second most among players measured at the draft combine.)

Source: Examiner

13. Shapecity

DeMarcus Cousins is "Benoit Bejamin"

(05-21) 22:11 PDT -- Only one of The Chronicle's top 14 draft prospects participated in the basketball portion of the combine in Chicago on Thursday and Friday, but that didn't get in the way of some intriguing story lines and debates developing from the strength and agility drills and interviews.

Warriors point guard Stephen Curry and Minnesota point guard Jonny Flynn are already jousting for Wesley Johnson. Curry said he thinks the swingman from Syracuse might end up being the best pro from the draft pool, and Flynn called Johnson this week to say he would look good in a Timberwolves uniform.

Minnesota has the No. 4 selection, two spots ahead of the Warriors.

Curry doesn't think general manager Larry Riley will ask for his input on the draft, but the rookie has an answer ready, just in case. "Pick Seth," Curry joked. His brother, Seth, transferred from Liberty to Duke last season and is expected to contribute to the defending national champs this season.

Outside views: Scouts are extremely guarded when voicing opinions about their own teams at this time of year, but they love talking about everybody else. When asked which prospects would best fit the Warriors, the most popular answers were Georgetown power forward Greg Monroe in the first round and Maryland combo guard Greivis Vasquez in the second.

"Just think what (coach Don Nelson) would do with Monroe, a 7-footer who was the best passer in college basketball," one scout said. Monroe, who is 6-11, has shown up for many of his predraft workouts and interviews in a suit, showing he is ready for a job interview.

Differing views: A debate about whether Kentucky power forward/center DeMarcus Cousins will end up being a better value than the consensus top two picks - Kentucky point guard John Wall and Ohio State shooting guard Evan Turner - emerged at the combine.

"You just don't want to be wrong when it comes to a player of that size who could be that good," one NBA decision-maker said of Cousins, who checked in at 6-10 3/4 and 292 pounds. Cousins is the most productive big man in the draft pool, but he has been haunted by damaging rumors about his attitude and had the combine's second-worst percentage of body fat at 16.4.

"He is Benoit Benjamin," said a source in the Warriors' camp. Benjamin struggled with weight issues for nine teams in 15 seasons after being selected with the No. 3 overall pick in 1985.

Briefly: Kentucky's Patrick Patterson was the lone probable lottery pick who participated in basketball drills. New Orleans, which holds the No. 11 pick, canceled interviews with players who skipped that portion of the workouts. ... Marshall center Hassan Whiteside's wingspan was measured at a combine-best 7-7. ... Kansas center Cole Aldrich must play in platform sneakers, measuring 2 1/4 inches taller in shoes than in socks (6-9). ... Terrico White, a 6-5, 203-pound guard from Mississippi, was the most chiseled at 3.7 percent body fat. ... English 19-year-old Ryan Richards sent some decision-makers scrambling to find game tape. ... Jordan Crawford had a combine-best 36-inch vertical jump, though many scouts still viewed Stanley Robinson as the best athlete in the camp.

Source: SF Gate

14. Run BJM

The measurements via ESPN:

NBA DRAFT COMBINE MEASUREMENTS
    Player

No step vert

Max vert

Bench press (185 lbs)

Lane agility

3/4 court sprint
    reach
    Solomon Alabi 22.5 26.0 10 13.2 3.68
    Cole Aldrich 23.0 28.0 10 11.48 3.35
    Al-Farouq Aminu 27.0 33.5 13 11.29 3.3
    James Anderson 30.0 35.5 14 11.86 3.19
    Luke Babbitt 29.5 37.5 15 10.98 3.4
    Eric Bledsoe -N-a -N-a 9 -N-a -N-a
    Trevor Booker 31.0 36.0 22 11.15 3.1
    Craig Brackins 26.0 35.0 6 11.65 3.39
    Avery Bradley 31.5 37.5 2 11.47 3.14
    Derrick Caracter 25.0 30.5 22 12.78 3.61
    Sherron Collins 27.5 33.0 -N-a 12.31 3.24
    DeMarcus Cousins 23.5 27.5 -N-a 11.4 3.55
    Jordan Crawford 31.5 34.5 7 11.03 3.37
    Ed Davis 31.0 36.0 -N-a 11.7 3.21
    Devin Ebanks 23.5 32.0 6 11.69 3.44
    Derrick Favors 31.5 35.5 14 11.74 3.25
    Keith Gallon 23.5 28.5 14 13.44 3.7
    Charles Garcia 24.5 30.5 2 11.65 3.23
    Paul George -N-a -N-a 4 -N-a -N-a
    Luke Harangody 24.0 28.5 23 11.83 3.41
    Manny Harris -N-a -N-a 11 -N-a -N-a
    Lazar Hayward 31.0 36.0 15 10.87 3.31
    Gordon Hayward 30.5 34.5 10 11.73 3.22
    Xavier Henry 28.5 36.5 8 11.1 3.18
    Darington Hobson 29.0 34.0 -N-a 11.68 3.25
    Damion James 29.0 33.0 13 10.89 3.2
    Armon Johnson 31.5 38.5 18 11.25 3.19
    Wesley Johnson 32.0 37.0 16 11.43 3.14
    Dominique Jones 26.0 32.5 19 10.88 3.31
    Jerome Jordan -N-a -N-a -N-a -N-a -N-a
    Sylven Landesberg 28.0 32.0 8 11.59 3.36
    Gani Lawal 27.0 31.5 20 11.61 3.24
    Greg Monroe 25.0 29.0 15 12.1 3.35
    Daniel Orton 24.0 30.5 13 12.32 3.39
    Artsiom Parakhouski 25.5 26.5 16 12.07 3.33
    Patrick Patterson 28.5 33.5 17 11.14 3.25
    Dexter Pittman -N-a -N-a -N-a -N-a -N-a
    Andy Rautins 23.5 30.5 8 11.27 3.49
    Ryan Richards 25.0 28.5 4 11.33 3.37
    Stanley Robinson -N-a 37.5 6 11.65 3.23
    Larry Sanders 25.5 28.0 7 12.49 3.27
    Jon Scheyer -N-a -N-a -N-a -N-a -N-a
    Lance Stephenson 27.0 33.0 10 11.39 3.38
    Mikhail Torrance 23.0 32.0 8 11.43 3.17
    Evan Turner 27.5 34.5 9 11.06 3.27
    Ekpe Udoh 31.0 33.5 10 11.15 3.29
    Jarvis Varnado 29.5 32.5 3 11.61 3.37
    Greivis Vasquez -N-a -N-a -N-a -N-a -N-a
    John Wall 30.0 39.0 -N-a 10.84 3.14
    Willie Warren 23.0 31.5 10 11.21 3.5
    Terrico White 31.0 40.0 10 11.38 3.15
    Hassan Whiteside 27.0 31.5 12 11.83 3.54

And here is a smaller sample of players of possible interest to us:
    Derrick Favors 31.5 35.5 14 11.74 3.25
    DeMarcus Cousins 23.5 27.5 -N-a 11.4 3.55
    Wesley Johnson 32.0 37.0 16 11.43 3.14
    Al-Farouq Aminu 27.0 33.5 13 11.29 3.3
    Greg Monroe 25.0 29.0 15 12.1 3.35
    Cole Aldrich 23.0 28.0 10 11.48 3.35
    Ekpe Udoh 31.0 33.5 10 11.15 3.29
    Ed Davis 31.0 36.0 -N-a 11.7 3.21
    Hassan Whiteside 27.0 31.5 12 11.83 3.54
    Solomon Alabi 22.5 26.0 10 13.2 3.68

Favors tested out really well but Ed Davis slightly edged him in most categories. Granted, Davis weighed in at 226 lbs while Favors is 245 lbs. Still should help Davis' stock. Udoh's no step vert was really good but he didn't add much on his max vert. He did really well overall too. Wes Johnson is a FREAK.

The rest of the bigs put up pretty pedestrian numbers. We expected as much from Cousins, Aldrich, Monroe but Whiteside and Aminu's numbers are low. FWIW Alabi was coming off an ankle injury but I think hes been mentioned on here so I put him in there.

These mostly just confirm what we already knew. The most impactful conclusions I can draw from these are a) Udoh tested out pretty well while Monroe and Aldrich did as poorly and maybe even worse than we were expecting and b) Ed Davis tested out really well and could sneak into the discussion where we're picking.

15. Custodianrules2

I agree waste of time and money to develop a kid who is not going to be ready for the position we need him at. All the worst to first teams get the guy that has a good mix of upside and nba readiness. Look at all the years Portland wasted with Jermaine O'neal. Even though big men take a while to develop, we really don't want to be wasting a rookie scale contract's length to find out if we have anything.

16. Custodianrules2

I wonder how much stock we put into those combine results. I thought Monta Ellis scored pretty poorly on those things. The measures for standing reach, height and wingspan are pretty useful though.

17. Shapecity

Hot rumor ...

The Golden State Warriors have the sixth pick in the NBA draft on June 24 and are thinking of taking young University of Kansas guard Xavier Henry, according to the San Jose Mercury News.

Warriors general manager Larry Riley tells the paper that the team will go with the best player available rather than filling a hole on the team, which means Henry, the 19-year-old shooting-guard, is a possibility for a team that doesn't need a shooting guard.

"They made it clear that they were really interested in me," Henry told the Mercury News. "I think I showed them everything they wanted to see. I think I should at least be in contention for it."

18. AlleyOop

To follow up on Shape's post, this from ESPN Insider:

What do you guys think of Xavier Henry?

Here's his video:

[video=youtube;3Z8-n68XmSI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z8-n68XmSI[/video]

Honestly I just don't see it. Henry jumping up to #6 and the Warriors taking him? Sorry but that's wishful thinking from Henry's camp. He looks good but not that good. I'm sticking with my top 6 of:

1.Wall
    2.Johnson
    3.Turner
    4.Favors
    5.Cousins
    6.Aminu / Monroe

If 1-5 are gone I have to choose between Aminu and Monroe. Can't really go wrong either way, we're going to get a good prospect at #6 no matter what.

19. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    I like Henry a lot, but not at 6. I wouldn't mind trading back to get him.

20. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

Not much more time to decide, but picking at 6 is pretty tough. Minnesota is rumored to have decided on Johnson, while Sacramento seems to be mainly considering Cousins or Monroe. If Cousins drops, I hope we take him. If not, then perhaps a trade would be the best option.

Henry reminds me of Azubuike - a steady guard with a strong body, dependable enough on defense, and on offense, likely to be more effective as a spot-up shooter. While I think he'll be a good role player with a long career, there's not much excitement in making that pick.