Warriors beat Suns 102-96 for 3rd straight win

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Custodianrules2, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap;_ylt=AqfRijoivsFS3fYN1lp_wge8vLYF?gid=2012021309

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP)—Mark Jackson is a preacher by nature and by trade, so he knows as well as anyone that a message is often lost if there’s not proof behind the process.

For the first time in his young coaching career, Jackson finally has some evidence for players that his ways might just work.

David Lee had 28 points and 12 rebounds, Monta Ellis scored 18 points and the Golden State Warriors earned their first three-game winning streak under the rookie head coach with a 102-96 victory over the Phoenix Suns on Monday night.
    Phoenix Suns ' Steve Nash (13) drives past Golden State Warriors ' Ekpe Udoh , left, during the second half of an NBA basketball game Monday, Feb. 13, 2012, in Oakland, Calif. The Warriors won 102-96.
    Phoenix Suns ' Steve Nash …
    AP - Feb 14, 1:43 am EST

1 of 18
    Pho-GS Gallery

“It makes a big difference. When you’re trying to preach winning basketball, ultimately, you want results,” said Jackson, also an ordained minister. “It gets old saying the same things.”

Apparently the message is starting to resonate.

Rookie Klay Thompson added 10 points and fellow reserve Ekpe Udoh had nine points, including a layup with 35.9 seconds remaining that extended Golden State’s lead to five and capped a comeback from 12 points down in the second half. Golden State (11-14) also snapped a seven-game losing streak against Phoenix (12-16).

After Wednesday’s home game against Portland, the Warriors will play eight of their next nine on the road.

“The significance is that we need to get back in this race, and all we can do is win games,” Lee said. “We need to protect our home court better than we did at the start of the year. We’ve had some games that we’ve played that could’ve gone either way, teams that are around us in the standings like Houston, like Phoenix, we’ve got another one with Portland coming up that are really going to separate whether we can be in this thing or whether we’re going to fade.”

Same might go for the Suns.

--

I didn't watch this game, but man they better win against teams in their own division or they have no hope of reaching the playoffs.

2. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Gumby highlights, excellent as always:

[video=youtube;PSVpuTxHNQ8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSVpuTxHNQ8[/video]

Lee has been great lately. Dare I say hes even playing up to his contract. Hes been our best player over the last month or so. All of a sudden hes become a guy you can dump the ball to and expect to score. The post game is sort of herky jerk but hes effective because he knows when he can take his man on the block or when to face up and drive or shoot on bigger/better defensive players. This was the guy I was expecting from NY.

Udoh has been pretty solid lately too. Andris is our starting C, but Udoh is the guy getting the vast majority of the minutes. Rebounding is still mediocre but he always brings it on defense and lately hes been much more adequate on offense. Its really too bad Kwame got injured, not only because we need him at C but because Udoh is once again forced to be our primary center.

Nice little stretch by the Dubs but its hard to see them maintaining this with such a lack of interior presence. Damn I wish Kwame was healthy. We don't even need point production from that position, just someone with size who can rebound and it would make all the difference. Udoh is doing as good as you can expect from a guy his size though (I guess he could rebound better though LOL).

3. Run BJM

Insane Udoh stat I just read courtesy of Ethan Sherwood Strauss: every player with a better plus-minus rating than Udoh plays for Chicago, Dallas, Miami, OKC, Philadelphia, or the San Antonio Spurs.

4. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

I really appreciate Udoh's effort but man that guy avoids rebounds like 'Melo avoids passing the ball. He had 1 defensive rebound last night; 1!!! He simply does not go hard after the ball. He's got to do the drills I did with my 2nd graders, go after it; fight! I watched last night and he's standing flat footed when its coming down. On the other hand, Brandon Rush grabbed one last night in traffic that was awesome; he does it night after night.

Come on man, fight for a rebound.

5. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    Any way to highlight what Udoh is doing well is ok in my book. If we can dupe someone into thinking he's a valuable piece in a trade, I'm all for it.

6. Run BJM

He just has zero rebounding instincts. No timing, no ability to predict where the ball will be, no break on the ball, doesn't seem to have a very strong base, doesn't extend to get the ball at the highest point, and hes not a guy where if he gets a hand on it its definitely his rebound. Hes also a guy who needs to gather himself before he jumps which also hurts his finishing on the inside. I believe he picked up basketball fairly late. Someone coached him up damn well on defense but rebounding is a lot about instincts. He just doesn't have them at all.

7. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

It is just so ironic that the guy we passed on the draft board by 1 spot gets double doubles for Detroit and he can play a center better than Udoh can. Good win. Again, I should hope we have a decent record against teams in our own division. If not, there will be no playoffs. The Western Conference won't allow it.

Actually, there's no irony because it's typical Warriors.