Warriors draft Ekpe Udoh with 6th pick

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Run BJM, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Probably a disappointment to most. I don't mind the pick too much- I think its solid but I don't see Udoh as having all that much potential. He measured out at 6'8.75 w/o shoes, 6'9.75 with shoes. H has a 7'4.5 wnigspan and a 33.5 inch ax vert. He weighed in at 237 lbs.

He averaged 13.9 ppg, 9.8 rpg, 3.7 bpg, 2.7 apg.

Here's an interesting blurb from DX regarding how he scores:

From what I've seen the guy has some pretty decent one on one moves in the post and facing up. I think this supports that. He won't have to score a ton for us but if he can make his faceup game work and run the pick and roll with Curry on offense I think his defense and rebounding will translate well.

2. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

Ugh, Warriors needed to go for someone with a chance at something special, Monroe who's 3 years younger and who played on a better team. Baylor was a bunch of 1 on 1 players jacking up jumpers. Even a guy like Heyward who does little things to make others better.

3. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

Is this a joke? This is.... a horrible draft pick. The guy doesn't even seem to have decent NBA talent. He looks like a mediocre college player at best. He'll never have the chance to be special. He's undersized. He's 6'9" but he'll never have the athleticism to play PF. He'll be an undersized center who never sees the light of day.

For a team with LITERALLY nothing to lose, Monroe was the obvious choice here, IMO. Or even Aminu. Either of those guys at least offers the CHANCE to be special.

Of course, I hope I'm wrong, but man... I just don't see it. This is a very bad pick by GS.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  4. Legacy

Legacy Beast

Idiots. Please, Ellison buy the team soon.

This franchise is run by idiots. Why not pick Monroe or even Aminu? Not potential for Udoh, and not too much talent. He'll block a shot here or there to make Bob Fitzgerald excited, but other than that I see Foyle and POB written all over him.

5. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    But can he play center?

6. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

This is one of the most boneheaded picks in draft history. Sure, maybe it won't matter, because hey, it's the Warriors and they suck anyway. But look, even if you want Udoh, you could easily get him with a much lower pick! No one else was taking him. So this pick is terrible either way. Either you take Monroe or you trade down for Udoh, it's that simple. We've cemented our position as the laughingstock of the NBA with this pick, if we weren't already. Sacramento has passed us by and even the Clippers will be improved with a healthy Griffin. You guys saw the video of Udoh getting destroyed by a 40 year old coach in his workout, right?

Ellison or whoever buys this pile of crap franchise would do better with an expansion team, at least there you don't have bad contracts to contend with and can really start fresh.

I'm embarrassed to be a Warriors fan and I'm literally feeling sick to my stomach right now, this is yet another terrible day in the sad history of this club.

7. philsmith75

But he's from Baylor!!! Um.....yeah.....so what?? Just such a let down. We'll find out soon. Maybe he becomes an Ibaka (Thunder) but likely not.

8. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

Well, the only "win" situation in my mind was to trade up or out of the draft (or have the top 5 not get drafted in that order.) I think Udoh is a reach for sure, but I disagree that he's a bust. I know I'm in the minority though and most people would have taken Monroe in this scenario, but alot of it is just my going by my gut and what I've seen from the season's games, not any one thing. Physically he's above average, (could use more strength, but there's few in the league where you can't say that), and I feel that he has a great feel for the game, especially defensively, but he's got the potential to be a poor man's LaMarcus Aldridge (in that he's able to hit from midrange, and be decent enough in other situations), if he keeps working on his skills.

9. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    MikeDC thinks Munroe will be a huge bust. I think Golden State may have gotten a player.

10. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

My beef isn't so much with Udoh, he might turn out to be decent. Seems like a good kid and I'm happy for him. What frustrates me is that it was clear no one else was considering this guy at anywhere near this pick. You have Detroit sitting at #7 who made it clear they highly coveted Monroe, so if you can't work a trade there to extract anything from them for Monroe, then you are not a very good GM. Not to mention anyone else picking below them. Additionally, he's got tons of overlap with Randolph and Wright, creating an even greater logjam while ignoring our bigger needs, a Warriors hallmark. After this pick I really have to wonder if there is some trade brewing with Wright or Randolph.

11. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    I was at a Kings draft party and just came home because of depression. LOL. Well, it wasn't that bad, but after it sunk in, I wasn't haven't any fun. Great pick for the Kings @ #5.

I thought we had Monroe for sure. Even the Kings announcers were surprised with the pick. They thought GS was going with Monroe. He said they're going in a different direction. Jeez, I thought the only direction the Warriors could go was up.

The only thing that was bothering me about Monroe was hearing about his bad workout with GS and questioning his physicality. Man, I hope the ones who give Udoh a chance are right. Until the Warriors made their pick, I thought Udoh was pure smoke. Boy, was I wrong.

12. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    Basically, we have to hope Udoh impresses and becomes the better player than Monroe. Based on the scouting reports "Monroe is the best passer in the draft." Not just the best big man passer, best passer.

I guess the Warriors saw something everyone else didn't.

13. AlleyOop

Either way it's ass-brained, IMO, because Udoh is 6'9" 235-240 while Monroe is 6'11" 250.... plus Monroe is more fluid and mobile.... Is it me or does Udoh look like a stiff? I see poor-man's POB written all over this guy. Monroe, yes there were questions, but there were answers too. Bigger than Udoh. WAY more skilled. More upside. More well rounded.

Even then, like above post said, can't work a trade, or even work a deal to draft Monroe for SOMEBODY ELSE? Surely the teams in the 10-15 pick range would've love to get their hands on Monroe.

Udoh would've gone #8-#10 anyway. Gordon Hayward probably would have gone over him anyway.

Hell, I would've taken Gordon Hayward over Udoh.

I hope I'm wrong. But I felt this same way about Cheesecake on draft night and we know how that turned out.

14. AlleyOop

I liked Riley as an assistant coach because of his good insight. So I do have to kind of trust him about his assessment of Udoh, but damn if it doesn't seem like we could have traded down or taken Monroe/Aminu etc..

anyway, no need to keep complaining. Here's Riley's comments on Udoh. I like how he mentions possible trades, because that prospect is about the only thing giving me hope right now lol...

[video=youtube;7CKhN2LXsGg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CKhN2LXsGg[/video]

15. iLL PiLL

iLL PiLL JBB JustBBall Member

Can't believe Riley said he can play some minutes at the "5". He will get burned playing that. I'm still waiting for that firesale too.

New owner please!!

16. philsmith75

How about getting a legitimate 5, someone like Bynum? Even Aldrich. Bogut, Perkins, those are legit 5s.

How about trying to build a legitimate team? Or at least putting something out there with a chance to compete in the long run, like an all wingspan team, Wright, Biedrins and Randolph. They can't shoot? So what, throw it up there and crash the glass. Set triple screens and crash the glass. That's better than watching Maggette launch and planting Randolph 30 feet from the hoop. I am so sick of small ball.

17. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

Don't forget Monroe is 3 years younger as well.

EDIT: Oops, sorry, Phil already mentioned that. Well anyway the whole thing is pretty depressing, you have to really stretch to defend this move.

18. iLL PiLL

I agree, we still haven't seen Randolph and Wright play a full year together. Curry made Turiaf and Hunter better with the pick and rolls. Imagine him running it with Randolph and Wright who are more athletic and explosive than the other two. On paper I think we're a pretty good team but its the coach that has to play them properly. None of this "playing out of position" bs

19. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    LOL, who's Cheesecake?

20. iLL PiLL

I think it might be Patrick O'Bryant. His name was mentioned twice in the draft today.
    "He's not Patrick Ewing but hes not Patrick O'Bryant"