Warriors make 5 year, 90 million dollar offer to Brand

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Run BJM, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>(07-02) 10:19 PDT -- The Clippers lured away the Warriors' best player.

Now Golden State is hoping to return the favor.

Flush with cap space after Davis' sudden exit, the Warriors have offered free agent Elton Brand a five-year deal worth between $85 and $90 million, according to league sources.

Brand, like Davis, opted out of the final year of his contract just before Monday's deadline, giving up a guaranteed $16.4 million for next season. At the time, Brand's agent, David Falk, told reporters that the move was designed to create some cap flexibility for the Clippers to add another top-line player.

The Clippers did just that by agreeing to terms with Davis on a five-year contract worth about $65 million Tuesday, though the deal cannot be finalized until July 9.

However, that means the most the Clippers can offer Brand is a five-year deal worth about $70 million due to salary-cap restrictions - about $20 million less than the Warriors.

Brand, who had been close to re-signing with the Clippers, is expected to make a decision today.

Golden State had previously gone after Wizards guards Gilbert Arenas, offering him a maximum contract of five years at roughly $100 million on Monday night after learning that Davis would be opting out.

The Warriors are also meeting with representatives for Monta Ellis in Oakland today to begin negotiations on a new contract for the restricted free agent.</div>
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...K.DTL&tsp=1

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>In a move that could act as sweet revenge, the Golden State Warriors have offered free-agent Elton Brand a more lucrative, multiyear deal than the Clippers have proposed, according to NBA sources who requested anonymity because they are not allowed to speak about other free-agent dealings.

On Tuesday, the Clippers reached a verbal agreement to sign Warriors free-agent Baron Davis and were nearing a new deal with Brand.

Now, the Warriors have more salary cap space than the Clippers and have offered Brand a maximum contract, according to the sources.

Brand could not be reached for comment this morning.

No deal can be announced until July 9.</div>
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-clips3...0,2057944.story

uhhhhhhh WTF.

2. The Dream

The Dream mama there goes that man!

ooooooooooooooooooooooooh shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaapadoodles!!!!

You talk about a massive NUT in the face, hahaha

3. Celtic Fan

Celtic Fan Well-Known Member

NOW THAT!! would be funny.

both guys switching teams... big gamble though by the Warriors with Brand coming of a major injury.

4. tim

tim Respect JPJ

Oh that is funny. If they sign Brand, they couldn't sign Arenas right?

5. Run BJM

This is funny if true. You gotta think Baron and Brand coordinated this thing where they opt out then both end up with the Clippers. But Brand is looking at a difference of 20 million dollars so maybe its not such an easy choice now. I still think he stays in LA but... it is 20 million (if true).

This has Nellie's fingerprints all over it BTW.

6. Real

Real Dumb and Dumbest

Wow well that sucks for the Clippers.

And Maggette left for San Antonio today, the Clippers were being talked about as just ahead of Phoenix and Dallas in the west this morning, now they could be even worse than they were last year.

7. Run BJM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tim @ Jul 2 2008, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Oh that is funny. If they sign Brand, they couldn't sign Arenas right?</div>
    Yes. I don't tihnk they ever even wanted Arenas, their offer wasn't close to enough to land him. I think it was just to show the fans they're trying to get good quickly.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>both guys switching teams... big gamble though by the Warriors with Brand coming of a major injury.</div>

Yeah but I'd rather give Brand a 5 year deal than give Baron a 5 year deal. If it happens its almost like trading Baron for Brand which I would gladly do.

I don't think Brand is actually coming here though. BTW couldn't Philly throw a ton of money at Brand too if hes really thinking about not going back to LAC?

8. Petey

Petey Super Sized Sexy, The Bulls Fan Killer! Staff Member Administrator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Run BJM @ Jul 2 2008, 01:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>This is funny if true. You gotta think Baron and Brand coordinated this thing where they opt out then both end up with the Clippers. But Brand is looking at a difference of 20 million dollars so maybe its not such an easy choice now. I still think he stays in LA but... it is 20 million (if true).

This has Nellie's fingerprints all over it BTW.</div>

I'm gonna guess there was no plan. Everyone just assumes so. Unless the rumors of Davis trying to negotiate to the last minute are false.

-Petey

9. The Dream

The Dream mama there goes that man!

Brand is no more injury prone than B-Diddy...actually he's less injury prone. But the Warriors would be a very good team if they land Brand.

Ellis, Jackson,Harrington,Brand, Pietrus, Barnes, etc..........

10. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    I would be happy with this. LOL

11. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

The perfect PF to compliment Biedrins' game. Wow, that would be solid for the Warriors.

12. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Dream @ Jul 2 2008, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Brand is no more injury prone than B-Diddy...actually he's less injury prone. But the Warriors would be a very good team if they land Brand.

Ellis, Jackson,Harrington,Brand, Pietrus, Barnes, etc..........</div>

What about Biedrins? Would this move make it impossible to re-sign both Ellis and Biedrins?

But that lineup is decent on paper. There is just NO PASSING on that lineup. There would have to be some type of deal I think to make that work.

Also I guess that replacing Biedrins with Brandan Wright with Brand as the center would be pretty decent as well. Maybe there could be a sign and trade for a good PG with a package like Biedrins and Harrington or Jackson.

13. Doctor Kajita

Finance
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clif25 @ Jul 2 2008, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Dream @ Jul 2 2008, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Brand is no more injury prone than B-Diddy...actually he's less injury prone. But the Warriors would be a very good team if they land Brand.

Ellis, Jackson,Harrington,Brand, Pietrus, Barnes, etc..........</div>

What about Biedrins? Would this move make it impossible to re-sign both Ellis and Biedrins?

But that lineup is decent on paper. There is just NO PASSING on that lineup. There would have to be some type of deal I think to make that work.

Also I guess that replacing Biedrins with Brandan Wright with Brand as the center would be pretty decent as well. Maybe there could be a sign and trade for a good PG with a package like Biedrins and Harrington or Jackson.
    </div>

As I understand it, with Baron gone, the Warriors have roughly 40mil of cap room before signing Ellis, Monta, and whoever else. Presuming we sign Ellis, Beans, and Azu to multi-year contracts, we should have around 20mil to sign FA's.

14. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

Both Biedrins and Ellis are are Qualifying Veterans (Bird players) that we can go over the cap to resign. The only limit would be Cohan's budget, definitely less than whatever the luxury tax limit is (estimated to be around $71 million). Even if Arenas or Brand accepted our offer, we'd be at about $50 million in salary, leaving about $20 million to sign Ellis/Biedrins. Obviously we'd want to save as much as we can because there's still roster spots that we'd have to fill.

Edit: Darn you Kensaku, posting faster than me!

15. Doctor Kajita

Finance
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zhone @ Jul 2 2008, 12:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Both Biedrins and Ellis are are Qualifying Veterans (Bird players) that we can go over the cap to resign. The only limit would be Cohan's budget, definitely less than whatever the luxury tax limit is (estimated to be around $71 million). Even if Arenas or Brand accepted our offer, we'd be at about $50 million in salary, leaving about $20 million to sign Ellis/Biedrins. Obviously we'd want to save as much as we can because there's still roster spots that we'd have to fill.

Edit: Darn you Kensaku, posting faster than me!</div>

LOL, don't worry, your explanations are much more in-depth than mine.

16. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    i was just reading tim kawakami's take on this on his blog and we don't get brand because he takes less than the warriors offer and baron takes less.

"It’s important that Brand takes less than $15M per AND signs with the Clips before Baron signs because Brand’s CAP HOLD as a free agent is larger than that, and the only way the Clippers can fit Baron in starting at $11M is if Brand’s deal starts right around $12M or so.

Well, the Warriors can and might have already offered Brand more than $18M per over five and about $13M in total worth above the Clippers’ proposed deal.

If Brand does not take that deal, and the Baron numbers can’t be manipulated lower… either Brand is walking away from $13M (the difference between a Warriors’ max offer and the Clippers with-Baron max offer) or Baron gets less than he expected from the LACs or the Clippers will have to pay Brand more and use the sign-and-trade route to get Davis.

But that’s mostly just a shot across the Clippers’ bow: Assuming the Clippers officially sign Davis first on July 9, they then can re-sign Brand above and beyond the salary cap.

Here’s where it gets interesting!

The Clips might be limited by their own budget qualms and maybe they are. But, if they’re determined too keep Brand, and I’m sure they are, they can damn the Baron consequences and give Brand the same starting salary that the Warriors can (105% of his last salary, so the new starting salary would be $16.11M), higher annual raises ($1.69M vs. $1.29M) and tack on that last year (at $24.56M) if they want.

That would hurt Davis’ status and salary, but adjustments could be made.

I’m not saying the Clippers would love to do this. And, if Falk jiggered this deal, it’s unlikely that he’d throw out everything he tacitly agreed to just because the Warriors went mega-money on the Clips’ forehead. (Falk is NOT Rob Pellinka, the agent for Carlos Boozer when Boozer backed out of a verbal agreement with Cleveland and jumped to Utah.)

Brand wants to stay in LA. Brand wants to play with Baron. They did this together. It’s still an entertaining move by Mullin and the Warriors, but the most likely result is that Brand gets more than the Clippers thought and/or Baron gets slightly less."

Elton Brand Max Play

17. Run BJM

Here's something interesting I just read about. To make the Baron deal go through the Clips have to renounce Mags and Brand, sign Brand to a lower annual salary, and then they'll have enough cap to officially sign Baron. By offering this huge deal to Brand, the Clips will be forced to match/beat this offer (or else let him go) thus not allowing them enough cap room to sign Baron to the deal they agreed on. The Clips would have to S&T with us. So this move effectively is another classic Nellie poker move. The Clips thought they had us beat but now Nellie is making sure we either land Brand or at least get something for Baron instead of letting him walk for free.

And as a bonus the Clippers commit like 160 mils to two 29 year olds with questionable injury problems for the next 5/6 years respectively.

18. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

Mullin: Evil genius secretly sabotaging the future Clippers, giving him one less team to worry about in future playoff runs?

I have to think these contracts he's offering are really too crazy, though. I don't think he's making these moves just to force the other teams' hands, but thinks its the best additions he can make, but it does make more sense if they were just to force other teams hands/embarass Baron perhaps.

19. iLL PiLL

iLL PiLL JBB JustBBall Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zhone @ Jul 2 2008, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Mullin: Evil genius secretly sabotaging the future Clippers, giving him one less team to worry about in future playoff runs?</div>
    I hope so. Lets see what we have up our sleeves

20. pegs

pegs My future wife.

Hahahaha, I love this move! Seems like an A hole move by the Warriors.

You steal Baron? Alright, take him. We'll take Brand! [​IMG]