Warriors missing crunch time scorer

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Rudeezy, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Coach Eric Musselman was prepared to have the Warriors examine Sunday's two-point fourth quarter before Monday's practice. With viewer discretion strongly advised, swingman Calbert Cheaney and a few other veteran players successfully lobbied against the video session.

"You can't watch anything like that,'' Cheaney said. "That's something that happens once every billion times. It happened (Sunday) night, for whatever reason.''

One reason that stands out: The Warriors are missing a crunch-time scorer, a notable difference from their team in 2002-03 and, shooting guard Jason Richardson believes, at times an obstacle to winning more nail-biters.

</div>
    full story

2. Purple N Gold

Purple N Gold JBB JustBBall Member

Very true, they need an unselfish scorer. Warriors need Van Exel but at the same time they don't.

3. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Purple N Gold:</div><div class="quote_post">Very true, they need an unselfish scorer. Warriors need Van Exel but at the same time they don't.</div>I am very anxious to have a HEALTHY Nick Van Exel back. I want to see if he truly is the type of player that can lead a team and come up big in big games, not only in the clutch.

4. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

I'm hoping Dunleavy could be a clutch player like he was at Duke. But college success doesn't always translate to the NBA, that's why teams are scouting international talent these days. Tough guys the U.S. teams have faced in international competition.

5. Rudeezy

He could possibly become that player once he developes his game and gets an NBA body. He could definately be a guy that hits big shots for this club.

I'm still not giving up on J-Rich. This guy can create his own shot and that is key.

6. Custodianrules2

Oh yeah I still like Jrich. I think his problem was just that he was young and really should have stayed another year at michigan to get his mental game down. Physically everything is there. He's got a strong upper body, he's fast, moves well without the ball, can leap, has long arms. I just don't think he'll ever be a good ball handler or be laterally quick. It's his damned feet.

Oh yes, I'm glad the warriors team came together to not watch that nba film on sunday's game. It really messes with your head and affects your confidence. Plus why would Musselman show a film that points out the mistakes he made in the 4th! He was about to do it tonight at the sonics game!

7. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">Plus why would Musselman show a film that points out the mistakes he made in the 4th! He was about to do it tonight at the sonics game!</div>Yea, mabye Musselmen should have been the one watching it with Cohan.

8. Custodianrules2

9. Rudeezy

10. Custodianrules2

He just needs to play within himself and play smart and confident.

11. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">He just needs to play within himself and play smart and confident.</div>Yes, I suspect he will eventually become this player but how much longer will we have to wait? Its about time for him to step up and be that player he needs to be for the Warriors to be successful.

12. Custodianrules2

You can't do it all with Jrich as your guard, especially with his hideous handles and poor free throwing. I think Jrich can improve a lot more next year, but not this year. I think Murph next year could be the clutch player when healthy. Tom Abdenour has done wonders for him physically.

13. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

I think JRich needs to develop the mentality of "this is my team, and I will do WHATEVER it takes to win". When I player develops that and the killer instict to play harder than his opponent, the sky is the limit. He can get better with every game he takes that mentality into. Especially at the end of the game. I was listening to the game against the Raptors and I kept thinking, GO GET THE BALL AND DO SOMETHING Jrich! He is still young so maybe he has not developed that aggresiveness. He is a cool guy and have met him a few times, but he needs to wipe that smile off his face and take over in the 4th quarter of EVERY game.

14. Rudeezy

Yes. Some games you can just see it in his eyes, he wants the ball. Other nights he is timid and is too passive late in the game. He can't let the first 3 quarters dictate what he does in the fourth. Who cares if he has had a bad game, go get the ball and make something happen. That is how you go from a good player, to a great one.

15. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rudeezy:</div><div class="quote_post">Yes. Some games you can just see it in his eyes, he wants the ball. Other nights he is timid and is too passive late in the game. He can't let the first 3 quarters dictate what he does in the fourth. Who cares if he has had a bad game, go get the ball and make something happen. That is how you go from a good player, to a great one.</div>

My opinion of Jrich is this. If he gets a good dunk or starts off hot to start the game, then he has a good game. But if he can not get a good dunk until the 3rd quarter and is shooting 1/5. He will flat out VANISH. I think he gets intimidated, and just needs to step up his game night in/night out. He reminds me of Jamison. He says the right thing, but does not produce the results. He says he needs to take over, but does not.

16. Rudeezy

Yes, and that is exactly what I was talking about. He needs to be THE GUY in the fourth quarter no matter what kind of game he is having. The true great players can do this.

17. Custodianrules2

He needs to have a mental game and develop a killer instinct.

That's also why he can't hit free throws and hit open 3 point shots. It's because he thinks too much and doesn't let his ability and instinct take over.

18. Custodianrules2

If he thought about 3 pointers and free throws as much as he did while dunking, then he'd be a superstar already. Because he can get to the line with his steps and leaping ability and he can sink them all if he changed his awful looking 3 point shooting technique. He has a tendency to fall forward on a shot or jump way too high. And that's bad when it comes to consistency and when your legs get tired. When he shoots it should be feet set, straight up with a short hop, hands coming off your head, quick release, snap your wrist forward. As far as his free throw shooting goes, I just think he needs to practice more and not fear going to the line.