Warriors Next Season!

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by SIXPAK GQ, May 13, 2007.

1. SIXPAK GQ

SIXPAK GQ JBB JustBBall Member

What are your thoughts of Warriors in next season?
    how many do you expect from this team?

which players would u keep and which ones would u trade?

I expect Warriors be 4th or 5th seed next year.

2. bbwSwish

bbwSwish Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.

I think it's a little premature to start thinking about next season. For all we know, the entire West could be reshaped this summer and we'd have no idea how the teams would stack up in terms of seeding. I think we should stick to talking about this season for now since it's not over yet and tons of things will happen in the coming months that will effect all of the teams (free agency, draft, trades). Just my two cents.

3. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

I would get rid of Mikael Pietrus unless he can be resigned cheaply (unlikely) and put that money into signing Matt Barnes (not to a huge overpriced contract, but a good one of hopefully not more than 3 years because he deserves it). And I still think they need another athletic, dominant front-court player who can rebound. And not someone like Dampier who is only a defensive presence. One of the Warriors great strengths is being able to get scoring from every position on the floor, which makes it very hard to defend them and almost impossible to take out of their game by targeting one superstar to shut down. After watching these playoffs I'm not so sure I wouldn't offer up Monta Ellis in a deal for KG (maybe with Harrington). I love the kid but I don't know if he brings enough to the table that the Warriors need. Damn I wish they could find a way to get Elton Brand but that'll never happen.

Anyway:

Baron
    JRich
    SJax
    KG
    Biedrins

That is a pretty sick starting lineup that no team is going to want to face. KG deal is probably unrealistic though, without also giving up JRich or Biendrins. Of course if you trade Monta, you need to acquire a reliable backup PG and beef up the bench, which is a bit thin (you have Barnes though which is a nice start). I'd still like to see Zarko come back and play under Nellie's system, theoretically he should do very well in it. I think Azubuike can contribute more with more PT as well, I want to see him stay. Get rid of POB, this guy has "Bust" written all over him and I have never seen anything remotely positive from him -- kill this project.

4. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    We're a playoff team, so it's too early to be talking about next season. That's one of the niceties of having a team still standing [​IMG].

The only thing I heard was Matt Barnes has hired Dan Fegan, so it may be too costly to re-sign him next season.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...SPGDLPQ2B81.DTL

5. boogiescott

boogiescott JBB JustBBall Member

I hope barnes has played himself into a costly contract that another team is willing to pay.... i would resign him for very little...... 2 mil max......

Pietrus - say bye bye.... unless he is also willing to bite the bullet and take a cheaper contract

I would draft Tiago Splitter and Barndon HEath.....

Everything i have read of Splitter it seems he would fit in well with this team mobile atheltic banger that may provide inside help and he should be available around our pick

Brandon heath - is similar to Ellis..... but has a better handle, a better off the dribble floater shot and better range.... i also think heath may be a better leader with better smarts with the ball.... but he does not have Ellis's inane ability to hang in the air and finish or the hops.... heath is quick ....maybe not ellis quick though..... at any rate heath would be a great pick up .... certainly more useful that sarunas

I flip flop on harrington .... but i would move him in an instant if we could get a quality 4 that is still athletic and can run in nellie's system but is not afraid to bang and has enough hops to finish. who that guy is i have no idea.

I heard the LA station here on friday state that an ODom-farmar-pick or resigned walton for j- o'neal is supposedly in the works.... but that was mychal thompson and sonny vaccaro ..... so not so reliable....

I would love to see another fisher type dump with Foyle..... as well....

6. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

Next year? We are in the freaking second round of the playoffs right now!

7. The Legend

The Legend Legend of JBB..

<div class="quote_poster">Rudeezy Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Next year? We are in the freaking second round of the playoffs right now!</div>

Lol i agree.. This team is fine.. they just have to avoid injuries next season and maybe get some good bench players.

8. Answer_AI03

Answer_AI03 JBB JustBBall Member

IMO this team is strictly a playoff team, and they were lucky to face the mavericks in the first round. They had the Mavs number and all the mismatches went in GS's favor. They arent good enough to be a 4 or 5 seed but 6-8 definatley. If all the teams in the west stay the same, (which im sure they wont) The rockets, Mavs, spurs, suns, nuggets, and the jazz all have better regular season teams. Its too early to predict next season, and im having an awesome time rooting for GS this playoffs. I think this team is one big piece away from a championchip, just like a lot of teams in the NBA.

9. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

Next season? (I agree with Rudeezy)

However, since the thread has been made, next season will be difficult for the Warriors as the Hornets, Blazers, and Clippers (Kings and Grizzlies maybe even with Oden or Durant and a healthy Gasol) have the ability to become playoff teams after this offseason. Also health is always a concern with Baron Davis as the Boss of the team.

But the Warriors stand the chance to improve a lot as well with the development of last year's draft picks POB and Perovic, more draft picks, and Azubuike (who is also a rookie this season). The Pietrus/Barnes situation should be interesting. And a KG trade would be intriguing, depending on the deal.

Next season will come when the time is right. Right now it's time for the post-season (for the first time in a long time for Warriors fans as well, and it's awesome!)

10. Legacy

Legacy Beast

If nothing too big happens we will be a top team in the west and possibly the league. We need to get a few more bench players so Nellie doesn't have to play an 8 man rotation only. Maybe get a good post big man who could run also. [​IMG]

11. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

At this point, I will not jinx Warriors by talking about next season right now...

12. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Legacy Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">If nothing too big happens we will be a top team in the west and possibly the league. We need to get a few more bench players so Nellie doesn't have to play an 8 man rotation only. Maybe get a good post big man who could run also. [​IMG]</div>

Patrick O'Bryant? Or am I being foolish? People were impressed with his hook shot, I remember. Can he run well enough?

13. Legacy

Legacy Beast

<div class="quote_poster">Clif25 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Patrick O'Bryant? Or am I being foolish? People were impressed with his hook shot, I remember. Can he run well enough?</div>

I was thinking off this the other day. I want the guy to play, he has lots of potential. I haven't seen too much off him to see whether he is fast or not. Nellie needs to start letting him play next year.

14. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Okay here's what I think we need:

We need a starting four in the worst way. Al Harrington just doesn't cut it fulltime if he's halfway between a 3 and a 4 and he's not hitting the glass or finishing inside against bigger players. But here lies the problem. Nelly probably wants this guy kind of a player who can dribble and shoot, but just one that can rebound out of position in a 3-2 zone configuration. Also, maybe get to the foul line, post up, and pass a little bit better. But rebounding is the big issue and our lack of presence on the glass puts pressure on Biedrins and the other three guys to be more aggressive against other players for rebounding position once the shot goes up. Also, on offense, it would be nice if a power forward teammate can take opposing forwards off the dribble or post them up so the center and the guards can do other things to get open. I feel like there's no prototype body for this position in this draft with those skills... we're either getting a center or a small forward, but not a power forward type body with the skillset to go with it. I'm looking for Ike Diogu (or Elton Brand), a big body with some perimeter game, but with more athleticism and size to play a running game.

The other thing I think the Warriors need is a competent backup swingman 6-6 or 6-8 220 lbs. (also in case Sjax gets in more deep legal sh later on). Hopefully, he'll have the intangibles like a Mickael Pietrus or a Matt Barnes, but without the mental lapses, but all the athletic/quickness type strengths.

We figure Ellis will become a pretty good backup point with more nba seasoning and will be an instrumental role much like Leandrinho Barbosa is to Steve Nash. I think we can get away with some moments where Baron Davis is hurt for 20-30 games and Ellis runs the show with Sjax, AH, Jrich, Beans to help him. Ellis is a most improved player that will only get better with time and more playoff experience.

Here would be the rotation on most nights

C: Andris Biedrins (Al Harrington, if Beans is too foul ridden)
    PF: ?
    SF: Jason Richardson
    SG: Sjax (Monta Ellis, if AH starts, Sjax and Jrich move up one size bigger)
    PG: Baron Davis

Bench (versatility)
    C: Patrick O' Bryant
    C, PF, SF: Al Harrington
    SF, PF: Matt Barnes
    SF, SG: ?
    PG, SG: Monta Ellis

For first round draft, I'd try to move up and take somebody like Jeff Green, if we can offer a second round pick or somebody we don't really care about anyway. Foyle's expiring deal in 2010 (lol)?

But I'm not even sure of that pick because the one thing that gets me all mad is guys who can't shoot. Guys who can't shoot midrange shots or wide open jumpers and guys who can't shoot free throws. So maybe in the end, I choose nay on that pick. The other guy we could take is a power forward / center. A guy by the name of Tiago Splitter. But he would be a talented, great at nothing 5th option starter + bench role player. He also sucks at free throws too. Two very fundamentally sound guys in Green/Splitter who fill a need and both suck at free throws... arggg... I feel like we can't have headcases on this team, unless it's Tim Duncan type of headcase who can shoot 20 foot bank shots but can't hit a wide open free throw very well.

I'd say Tiago Splitter is more of a sure thing (an athletic big on a good playoff Euro team that has shown flashes of why scouts like him so much), whereas I'm afraid Jeff Green might be something of a Dunleavy where he doesn't do anything bread and butter. Plus, we don't want guys to necessarily screw up the offense we got going by getting a selfish player, we just want more playmaking, shooting threats (which Jeff Green might not be) and tougher rebounding and interior game (which Tiago Splitter might be mediocre in at both areas outside of defense). Splitter though would kind of get in the way of POB's development since Splitter has such a bad power forward's game (mediocre offense, defense is above average for European standards which may be average for nba standards). To some, he's more of a center because that's been his role on his Euro team. He had started out as a SF/PF, but has been coached to play inside more.

We could use the big man depth... so I might have to say stick with Splitter, if there's no contract issues. It'd be like maybe getting Chris Mihm. Decent starter, good bench guy. That's my opinion on that.

If we feel Splitter would end up being a big bust, then I say go for another swing. Tons of swingmen to choose from. Depends on whether we want a midrange marksman, a ballhandler/playmaker, a set shooter, a perimeter defender. There's no swingmen that can do everything, though, right out of the box. I hope our scouts can find somebody that has all the strengths of Dunleavy and all the strengths of Pietrus, minus the weaknesses. Just like the Indiana trade, we needed to cut out of weaknesses and find basketball players who can play at the nba level.

If we want to find a free agent, I wonder if we can get Curtis Borchardt to return from Europe. 7 footer, fairly athletic, tremendous shotblocker that can shoot a 23 footer with ease. Good passer too.

15. Custodianrules2

This part 2: since I wanted to keep this post separate from draft ideas.

But let's say we don't want Barnes because some team will overpay for him, maybe there is some money to get one free agent and still be able to re-sign Ellis and Beans.

Here are my top veteran free agents if we can ever land these guys. The qualities that I'm sure Nelson and Mullin would be looking for is somebody that plays aggressive, can play in the open floor, has rebounding, some scoring, defense, offense, and some passing ability. If they shoot the three and can create their own shot off the dribble or posting up, it's a huge bonus.

James Posey (SG/SF) defensive player, can shoot the baseline three, rebounds
    Ruben Patterson (SF) lockdown defensive player, rebounder, can score inside and from midrange
    Jumaine Jones (SF/PF) can shoot the baseline three, can defend, can rebound, good open court player, might be undervalued at this point due to his recent performance. Barnett says to watch out for this guy when he scores.
    Jamaal Magloire (PF/C) can average double double in the right system
    Melvin Ely (PF/C) big bodied backup C
    Andres Noccioni - Getting this guy wouldn't be cheap, but he'd be a nice addition to replace Barnes and Pietrus. Like a vet player.
    Lawrence Roberts - Big rebounder

I wish we could get somebody's Restricted Free Agents, but I'm assuming the guys we want aren't going anywhere from their original teams unless in a big sign and trade.

I'll add to this list later. Boy this is exciting!

16. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

CR2, agree that we need a 4 but even if we get a classic 4 that fits your requirements he'd be a C in Nelson's system and we'd still have the "hole" at PF. Not to mention that player would easily go top 5 and we'd have no chance at getting him. If we want a 4 we need a guy in the mold of Marion who is really a SF but can rebound and defend as well as a legit PF. There's guys like Green and Thornton who might be there at 18 who could be that player but I'm not crazy about either (though they are both intriguing). Splitter might be of help to us but hes got buy out issues and basically seems like a poor man's Biedrins. Unless someone slips (Thad Young maybe?) I'd be more than happy trading the pick in a package for a good veteran.

In the second round theres some prospects who would be good fits with our team. Dominic McGuire, the former Cal player who played his final season at Fresno State, would be a great replacement and possibly upgrade over Barnes and Pietrus. Hes 6'8 with great athleticism and length, also very versatile as he averaged 13.5 ppg, 9.8 rpg, 3.3 apg, and 3.6 bpg. He'd be a raw swingman on most teams a la Renaldo Balkman or Gerald Wallace but in Nellie ball hes a PF due to his great rebounding and shot blocking ability. Guys like Devon Hardin, Herbert Hill, and Jamareo Davidson are all long, athletic defensive Cs who can run.

17. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Run BJM Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">CR2, agree that we need a 4 but even if we get a classic 4 that fits your requirements he'd be a C in Nelson's system and we'd still have the "hole" at PF. Not to mention that player would easily go top 5 and we'd have no chance at getting him. If we want a 4 we need a guy in the mold of Marion who is really a SF but can rebound and defend as well as a legit PF. There's guys like Green and Thornton who might be there at 18 who could be that player but I'm not crazy about either (though they are both intriguing). Splitter might be of help to us but hes got buy out issues and basically seems like a poor man's Biedrins. Unless someone slips (Thad Young maybe?) I'd be more than happy trading the pick in a package for a good veteran.

In the second round theres some prospects who would be good fits with our team. Dominic McGuire, the former Cal player who played his final season at Fresno State, would be a great replacement and possibly upgrade over Barnes and Pietrus. Hes 6'8 with great athleticism and length, also very versatile as he averaged 13.5 ppg, 9.8 rpg, 3.3 apg, and 3.6 bpg. He'd be a raw swingman on most teams a la Renaldo Balkman or Gerald Wallace but in Nellie ball hes a PF due to his great rebounding and shot blocking ability. Guys like Devon Hardin, Herbert Hill, and Jamareo Davidson are all long, athletic defensive Cs who can run.</div>

I agree with all those assessments. A rebounding version of Al Harrington would be a decent prototype power forward / center if he could also work on some stronger finishing inside. But the rebounding is the biggest issue prompting the power forward requirement to be being versatile in the perimeter game and have the rebounding like Nowitzki, Garnett, Pau Gasol or Lamar Odom. The four position I think we should have should be a mix of SF and C but nobody is like that. Just a lot of threes who plays a little more like fours... Another option is taking a risk on some RFA's like Andray Blatche, Darko Millicic, and Ersyan Illsayova but who knows how they will turn out. I just wish we had an Elton Brand because that guy has a straight post game and he's worked on his shooting range. He's not soft like some of the Euros on defense and he plays bigger than he is like Shawn Marion.

Maybe we could get Gerald Wallace straight up [​IMG]. He is probably the most Shawn Marion like and he plays big like both Marion and Brand. Getting him would be extremely hard though. Too bad we couldn't just get him before he was put into the expansion team lottery and left off of Sacramento's active roster. [​IMG]

I like those prospect ideas btw. I'll look into them. A strong 2/3 or 3/4 or a 4/5 is important. Verastility is key in slimming the rotation to 8 men while being able to produce effectively in scoring, steals, blocks, and rebounding and other intangibles like playmaking ability to get someone else the assist or plays that lead to second chance points.

18. iLL PiLL

iLL PiLL JBB JustBBall Member

Close this damn thread! loook what its done!

19. Custodianrules2

Hey, we'll need this thread when the Jazz eliminate the Warriors. [​IMG]

20. Legacy

Legacy Beast

This thread is a jinx!