Warriors summer league

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Run BJM, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

I've watched 1.5 games so far, here's what I have taken from them:

- Klay is on another level from all these fools. Hell of a fuggin shooter. He and Barnes had a nice rapport, though I'm glad they shut him down as he has nothing to gain from playing.

- Barnes is a mixed bag. His handle is shaky and he can't force his way to the rim at will. Hes been making an effort to drive lately, though it doesn't go all that well for the most part. Hes lights out as a spot up shooter, even when the defense closes out very well. He's shown that step back jumper that is so reminiscent of Paul Pierce or Rudy Gay. He can get that any time he wants, though its kind of odd that he's developed that shot when he isn't even a great penetrator. They're giving him the ball on the perimeter a lot right now, but he clearly won't be getting iso's any time soon in the league.

Hes kind of slow footed and has mediocre lateral quickness. Gives nice effort on defense but can get left in the dust if he over commits and gets burned. He should definitely study how Klay plays solid defense despite poor quickness.

He's already a lights out shooter. Has the developing pull up/step back mid-range J, occasionally gets to the rim and has made some mid-close range floater type finishes. In that regard I can see why some compare him to Rudy Gay, who also isn't great at getting to the rim but has a wide range of shots and relies on the pull up, fading mid-range J a lot. Lack of quicks hurts him a bit on defense and penetration. Doesn't show much in the way of creating for others. Can't really say anything about his rebounding. Looks like he could definitely be a gunner. Paul Pierce is a stretch, but I see the Deng, Gay, Rashard Lewis (prime) comparisons. I almost want to say he reminds me of a 6'8 prime J-Rich at times with the way he relies on the mid-range J, is athletic but slow footed, mediocre on defense, doesn't create a lot, etc.

BTW Barnes was very clutch last night hitting two threes down the stretch to erase a 6 pt deficit before we went on to win.

- SL isn't a great place for bigs, but there's definitely some things to like about Ezeli. Hes big, but not only is he big, hes pretty ripped. Hes all muscle and his physique puts most of the other bigs to shame. Reminds you of Kwame Brown the way he manhandles most guys in the post. Can throw guys off balance with one arm quite easily. Doesn't give up any ground. His post defense has looked quite good. He challenges well. Doesn't get really high off the ground but he gets a lot of blocks where he just barely gets up to the release point of the other player, which is fine. Probably will get called for fouls a lot early in his career.

Hes VERY mobile for a guy that size. Huge plus in defending the pick and roll and defending on switches. Kind of an awkward rebounder sort of like Udoh, though more of a presence on the offensive glass. His production in college supports these observations.

- Draymond Green hasn't been all that. His jumper looked good early on but his 3 pt range is shaky. His shooting mechanics are a bit slow and he shoots in a way where it seems like he can only shoot spot up J's (i.e. won't be able to ever hit fadeaways or make pull up J's). Handle is way below par for a 3 and always gets cut off when driving to the rim. Hasn't been posting guys up a ton, but when hes under the rim he seems to finish fairly well.

Rebounding has been neither good or bad. Often in on a play for a rebound but doesn't quite get to it- we'll see how much he improves in the league. All in all hes definitely in an awkward tweener space right now. At 230 lbs hes pretty light to be playing the 4. He looks like he could certainly drop more weight, and that seems more feasible to me than him gaining a lot of weight and masquerading as a 6'6 PF. That said, his handle is a LONG way off. Hes shown some of his plus passing ability, but its not put to a lot of great use when he isn't dynamic with the ball.

2. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Thanks for the post, Run. Good to know that Klay is doing well. Hopefully, Harrison barnes can greatly improve his ballhandling skills, but it might take a while as it's pretty tough to do this late in the career.