Warriors VS. Lakers game thread

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Duckmyster, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Duckmyster

Duckmyster JBB JustBBall Member

It should be a good barometer game tonight for the current configuration of this Warriors team. It should be intresting to see if S-JAX can slow down Kobe. On the flip side I'm expecting Montay to have a great game against the Lakers, since i don't see anybody in the Lakers roster that will be able to slwo down Montay down. Baron always plays good in his hometown and will take Parker to school. If Al Harrington shakes off that bad shooting night against the Cavs, He should be able to handle whoever plays PF for the Lakers. Biendriens should hold his own against Bynum. We haven't been 4 games under .500 this season. The clippers already leapfrog us so this is a must win for the Warriors they should play with a sense of desperation and I expect them to outhustle the Lakers. If the Warriors come out flat it could be over early and the second guessing of the trade should only get more intense.

2. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

Watch Ronnie Turiaf erupt for 25pts 15 rbs.

3. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

If this team comes out with no energy I will have all but given up hope for this franchise!

If you cant be motivated to play with Baron returning to the lineup to play with our brand new shiny toys in LA against Kobe, a division team, I will give up. I mean you can miss shots and suck, but at least come out with some energy. I plan on watching the first 30 minutes or so then going to bed. They better come out firing on all cylinders...

4. Gohn

Gohn JBB JustBBall Member

I'm worried about their size. That was a big reason the W's lost last time, and the trade did not help the warriors in this area. Not to mention they have Kobe.

5. AlleyOop

Although they had Odom, who almost had a triple double with 22pts, 9reb, 9ast. He's out right now, which is a good thing.

6. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

The key tonight will be stopping the Laker role players/no names. We ALWAYS get killed by guys like Smush Parker, Luke Walton, Kwame Brown, Ronnie Turiaf, etc. Kobe usually doesn't light it up against us, though the refs usually give him 15 FT attempts or more, I like that we have several defensive looks we can throw at him; Jax is pretty solid and very long, Pietrus can do a bit of everything and is more of a shutdown defender but also more foul prone, Monta has the quicks, Barnes is a decent defender.

We have to take advantage of the matchups we get tonight; Al on Walton, Baron on Smush, make Kobe work his ass off on Monta and Jax, etc. Rebounding is key but if we keep forcing turnovers at an alarming rate a la the Cavs game then it will cover up that problem a bit. All of our 6'5-6'8 swingmen with quick hands and quick feet really put the pressure on guys and get into the passing lane so we have to get some steals and make them pay for turnovers.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post"> I'm worried about their size. That was a big reason the W's lost last time, and the trade did not help the warriors in this area. Not to mention they have Kobe.</div>

Agree, the Lakers are a very good rebounding team and are tough inside even though individually they don't seem like very good inside players. Our rebounding may be worse than before the trade but I think guys like Harrington and Jackson aren't as soft on the boards as Dunleavy and Murphy were, Harrington's rebounding numbers aren't that great but I think he does a good job of keeping his man off the glass and if he can do that then our guards should outrebound theirs with ease. I also think that Harrington showed the ability to pull down tough rebounds while Dun and Murphy could usually only get to the easy, uncontested rebounds. We'll definitely need a good rebounding contribution from everyone, keeping Biedrins out of foul trouble will be key and guys like Jackson and Pietrus need to step up and help out Beans/Al.

7. boogiescott

boogiescott JBB JustBBall Member

The guy i am worried about and am not sure why is brian Cook.... the guy is softer than melted ice cream... he makes dunleavy and murph look like chunks of granite.... he is pretty much afraid of contact.... and just lingers at the perimeter.,... but ..... when hot the guy can light it up..... and for some reason teams forget about him.... a quick release and his size he usually gets a good look...

The lakers are really playing as a team.... even Kobe..... Jackson has done a miracle with this team.... i am quite sure that a lesser coach.... say.... oh montgomery..... this team wouldnt even be smelling the playoffs

8. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Run BJM Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">The key tonight will be stopping the Laker role players/no names. We ALWAYS get killed by guys like Smush Parker, Luke Walton, Kwame Brown, Ronnie Turiaf, etc. Kobe usually doesn't light it up against us, though the refs usually give him 15 FT attempts or more, I like that we have several defensive looks we can throw at him; Jax is pretty solid and very long, Pietrus can do a bit of everything and is more of a shutdown defender but also more foul prone, Monta has the quicks, Barnes is a decent defender.

We have to take advantage of the matchups we get tonight; Al on Walton, Baron on Smush, make Kobe work his ass off on Monta and Jax, etc. Rebounding is key but if we keep forcing turnovers at an alarming rate a la the Cavs game then it will cover up that problem a bit. All of our 6'5-6'8 swingmen with quick hands and quick feet really put the pressure on guys and get into the passing lane so we have to get some steals and make them pay for turnovers.

Agree, the Lakers are a very good rebounding team and are tough inside even though individually they don't seem like very good inside players. Our rebounding may be worse than before the trade but I think guys like Harrington and Jackson aren't as soft on the boards as Dunleavy and Murphy were, Harrington's rebounding numbers aren't that great but I think he does a good job of keeping his man off the glass and if he can do that then our guards should outrebound theirs with ease. I also think that Harrington showed the ability to pull down tough rebounds while Dun and Murphy could usually only get to the easy, uncontested rebounds. We'll definitely need a good rebounding contribution from everyone, keeping Biedrins out of foul trouble will be key and guys like Jackson and Pietrus need to step up and help out Beans/Al.</div>

The Lakers rebounding has been pathetic the last few games. They've been giving up offensive rebounds at an alarming rate. In fact Dallas had more offensive rebounds than the Lakers total rebounds just the other day. Hornets killed on the offensive glass aswell.

The Lakers defense in general has been atrocious this season. I think we're ranked 5th worst in the league for points allowed. This game has all the makings of a shoot out, and I think the Warriors have the edge in depth with Odom and Kwame missing this game.

Nellie should not put SJax on Kobe, because he can't handle Kobe's quickness on the perimeter. SJax will also get caught up in going 1-on-1 with Kobe and start taking a lot of rushed, low percentage shots. I think Pietrus or Harrington is a better matchup for the Warriors on Kobe.

This should be an entertaining game.

9. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

I just want to chime in one thing: put Pietrus on Kobe. That is all. [​IMG]

10. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I just want to chime in one thing: put Pietrus on Kobe. That is all. [​IMG]</div>

Like Shape said, Pietrus probably does match up with Kobe well because of his great quickness plus hes got adequate size, length, aggressiveness, and athleticism but how long would it take Kobe to get Pietrus into foul trouble? Jackson and Monta will have to help out.

11. AlleyOop

Match-ups:

Smush Parker - Baron Davis

Kobe Bryant - Mickael Pietrus

Luke Walton - Stephen Jackson

Brian Cook - Al Harrington

Andrew Bynum - Andris Biedrins

I don't know if Nellie will start Monta, but I think he should come off the bench tonight. While Pietrus can't handle the ball, Jackson can make up for that to help Davis out. He can handle well, and his match-up with Walton would be one to watch.

12. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

The Warriors have a lot of people to throw at Kobe with Pietrus, Jackson, Azubuike, maybe some Barnes if the team is in dire straits. Because of this the Warriors probably have a good chance of keeping Kobe from having the game he had last year on this day. [​IMG] Agh, this should be a good game. This is a in-division game, and though the Lakers seem almost out of reach, the Warriors really need to get some wins rolling after some dissapointing losses recently and also to end January on a better note since January hasn't been the best of months for the Warriors this season. It would be nice if the Warriors can win 4 of the next 5 if not the next five in a row. Winning tonight will be a good first step to doing that.

13. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

<div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I just want to chime in one thing: put Pietrus on Kobe. That is all. [​IMG]</div>Only if Pietrus can stay out of foul trouble. Pietrus is prone to early foul trouble and Bryant is a master at initiating fouls. If the refs let them play, Pietrus can have a big impact.

14. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    <div class="quote_poster">AlleyOop Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Match-ups:

Smush Parker - Baron Davis

Kobe Bryant - Mickael Pietrus

Luke Walton - Stephen Jackson

Brian Cook - Al Harrington

Andrew Bynum - Andris Biedrins

I don't know if Nellie will start Monta, but I think he should come off the bench tonight. While Pietrus can't handle the ball, Jackson can make up for that to help Davis out. He can handle well, and his match-up with Walton would be one to watch.</div>

Yeah, the matchups are good. It favors the Warriors except for Kobe. Make Kobe work and have the other Lakers try to beat us. We gotta crash the boards and take control of the tempo.

15. Rudeezy

What a sequence by Baron to end the quarter! Is it just me or is Baron playing with more energy tonight? Definately an entertaing first quarter.

16. AlleyOop

Powell had a nice block -- and Turiaf needs to get a haircut

17. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">AlleyOop Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Powell had a nice block -- and Turiaf needs to get a haircut</div>
    Like Barnett said though, he needs to control that kind of block. I guess it will come with experience but atleast block it out of bounce! ha

18. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    Very exciting game thus far (8:30 left in 2nd).

19. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    Harrington is quick. He's extremely skilled and I see why Mullin liked him.

20. AlleyOop

I like Powell. I've been saying we need a PF who can rebound and bang, and at least Powell's doing it. I like his energy level. It's a nice suprise!