Warriors vs. Lakers: PREVIEW

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Rudeezy, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

Warriors(1-1) vs. Lakers(2-0)

Warriors Probable Starters:
    PG: Speedy Claxon
    SG: Calbert Cheany
    SF: Mike Dunleavy Jr.
    PF: Clifford Robinson
    C: Erik Dampier

Lakers Probable Starters:
    PG: Gary Payton
    SG: Kobe Bryant
    SF: Devin George
    PF: Karl Malone
    C: Shaquille O'neil

<u>Golden State Warriors</u>
    The Warriors will have only 7 healthy players once again tonight. That spells trouble. They are coming off an amazing win against the 76ers. They showed that they have the talent to win and more importantly, the heart. Erik Dampier will have his hands full with Shaq. We might be seeing a lot of zone D from the Warriors.

<u>L.A. Lakers</u>
    The Lakers are 2-0 and are coming off two impressive victories over quality teams. If they can hit their outside shots, they'll win. Simple as that. The Warriors don't have the dept to stay with the Lakers. Shaq will get doubled everytime he touches the ball.

2. jbbKing James

jbbKing James JBB Banned Member

Nice work on the preview Rudeezy, keep this up and you can move up on this site [​IMG]

Long night for the Warriors in this one, hate to say it.

3. Manu

Manu JBB JustBBall Member

The lakers have a REAL 7 man rotation right now, with Kobe back and all of the bench options, you're right, Golden State will have a hard time.

The keys for the lakers are what they've been doing pretty well in the first two games, ball rotation and inside out.

One thing they did less of against the Suns was cutting to the basket when karl has the ball on the weakside high post. Its magic how he can pass into traffic from there, they need to run that more.

I'd like to see more strong/weak switches with Shaq and Karl, it will confused defenders and free up the perimeter a lot.

The Lakers ran into trouble closing off defensive sets. They were fine, when shooting 55%, but once that leveled off to more like 40%, the suns made their run...

Its just like GP said though, teams are going to have to pick their poison on any given night.

You have 3 guys with double doubes, 6 guys scoring in double figures, any of whom can easily score 20-30, if needed...how do you stop that?

If GS can slow/stop their passing game, they have a shot, if not, they are sunk.

4. Rudeezy

Well said. The Warriors have always been able to give the Lakers fits. They play hard and keep fighting till the end. I hope to see a great one tonight.

5. Ice

Ice JBB Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rudeezy:</div><div class="quote_post">Well said. The Warriors have always been able to give the Lakers fits. They play hard and keep fighting till the end. I hope to see a great one tonight.</div>
    When they played hard and fought until the end, Golden State had Arenas and Jamison. Keep that in mind.

Golden State could still be an exciting team to watch, but they have lost too many key players for their future.

I see the Lakers taking this one easily. As long as they maintain tight defense and don't allow too many fast break baskets. Depth is another key issue. GS doesnt have any tonight. That simple.

6. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

The only way the Lakers lose this one is if the back to back road games tire them out.The Warriors will play on pure heart tonight...With 3 starters out they don't have the talent to win..but if they play their guts out and rebound the basketball on both ends they have a chance..Remember the Lakers are going to lose games this year they aren't suppose to.It is a long season...

People on here do underrate the Warriors...but only when the 3 starters are on the court..

NVE
    Richardson
    Mike D
    Murphy
    Dampier

is a very soild line-up...and would make the playoffs in the east...It's just a shame they have started off the season without 3 main players...but the Clippers have lost Brand for 6 Weeks and Sonics lose Allen for 6-8 weeks..

7. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Ice Breaker:</div><div class="quote_post">When they played hard and fought until the end, Golden State had Arenas and Jamison. Keep that in mind.

Golden State could still be an exciting team to watch, but they have lost too many key players for their future.</div>wow, I can't believe people still think that the Warriors have gone backwards. I've said it many times, I don't know how else to say it. Dunleavy went for 32 last night, Jaminson's replacement. He may not be as athletic as Jamison, but he is a better shooter, passer.

Van Exel is a big time scorer and a big time player. At this point in Arenas' carreer, Van Exel is not too far behind if he even is at all.

They have a deeper team this year, no question. Did you even see the highlights of last nights game? They beat the Sixers with 7 healthy bodies! When this team is healthy they will be better than last year, period.

I do agree with you on one thing, their lack of depth tonight will probably sink them against the Mighty Lakers.

8. Manu

Manu JBB JustBBall Member

I dont think their moves are a step backwards at all. Nick has more experience and he's a better floord leader. He's played big games and hit the big shot.

Like Rudeezy said, Dunleavy can just out and out ball. Jaimison won't be missed.

I've always thought Dallas got the band end of that deal

9. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

The Lakers are going to roll the Warriors tonight unless they get complacent. The Lakers tend to relax against the weaker teams in the league, but hopefully the game is over with by the 3rd quarter. The Lakers are also coming off a close game last night, and the starters logged a lot of minutes. I'm curious to see how Kobe plays tonight and how his knee is holding up. He used a lot of energy guarding Marbury last night and going against Marion on offense.

It's still early to judge if the Warriors have gone backwards or not. I think for the long term they have, mainly because they lost Arenas. He's a future superstar for the league and he is someone they could have built a fast team around. Van Exel is a good player when your team is winning, but he'll be a cancer if the Warriors start losing night in and night out. Dunleavy had a nice game, but can he do it every night the way Jamison does? And can he do it against teams with SF's who actually play defense? His matchup against Devean George will be a better indicator of how well Dunleavy has progressed from last season.

10. Rudeezy

I agree Shape, losing Arenas will hurt them in the long run. Losing Jamison won't. I would take a Mike Dunleavy over Jamison anyday. He suits this team better. Like I said before, he is a better shooter, passer and all-around player. The Warriors have the depth that they lacked in the pass. They have players here will experience.

The Lakers should handle the Warriors pretty easily, especially because the Warriors will suit up only 7 healthy players. I don't expect a blowout, this guys play with too much heart.

11. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Lakers had another impressive win tonight. They finished every quarter strong and out scored the Warriors in every quarter. It was a very clean game, Shaq only went to the line 3 times. Shaq had a great game, anytime he is grabbing double digit boards and getting blocks you know he is focused. Good to see Kobe lead the team in scoring and play strong off a back to back night. Having him at full speed only makes the team better than it all ready is. The Warriors put up a good fight, but the Lakers controlled this game from start to finish and Dunleavy was brought back to reality shooting 4 out of 18 and only managing 10 points. He needs to stop settling for the 3 point shot. 9 attempts a game from downtown is not going to get it done for the Warriors.

12. jbbKing James

jbbKing James JBB Banned Member

Lakers played great team ball, offensively and defensively.

Warrions need to get in shape, then we can see what this team can do as a whole, it is looking better than I thought though.

13. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting King James:</div><div class="quote_post">
    Warrions need to get in shape, then we can see what this team can do as a whole, it is looking better than I thought though.</div>Not being in shape? Remember they only suited up 7 healthy bodies.

The Lakers had this game in control all 4 quaters. The Warriors couldn't hit the open shots, lack of depth caught up with them. Dampier had a monster game grabbing 20 boards and scoring 14 points. He also held Shaq in check, if that is even possible.

Warriors have the Hawks at home. A game they should win to even their record.