We have a worse record than the McMillan/Pritchard-led Pacers

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Hey, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Hey

Hey Active Member

With Oladipo as their best player and they're in a far better cap situation. We are so far away from contending, it's not even funny. If we don't make a trade, we're going to stay stuck in no man's land.

2. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Can Olshey get them back? No. But maybe if Allen made Quick the Asst. GM, Pritchard would take the offer.

3. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Yay, we needed a thread to point out what every sensible poster knows. Not like we have any other threads where you couldve shared this take.

Blazers Roy and dviss1 like this.
  4. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
  5. Cippy91

Cippy91 Habitual Line Stepper

It's standard at this point. It's like hey lets piss people off and put up a shit post. I know the team isn't doing great, shit like I said, I hope we end up with a lottery pick, I feel like it would benefit this team considering our assets aren't worth a lot but damn if you pair up a lotto pick with one of our assets, we could probably draft higher in a dope draft class and if you don't wanna go that route get some good talent that already exists in the league. I am still on the trade CJ bandwagon but realistically it wont happen. So you gotta get better players to surround these two guards with.

6. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

We need to let the cake bake.

barfo

dviss1, Darkwebs and riverman like this.
  7. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    It kind of helps if you have good ingredients.

dviss1, riverman and 42N8Bounce like this.
  8. DameLill379

DameLill379 #DameTime

Blazer and Jet fan
    Hey, Victor Oladipo is actually going crazy right now..or at least he was. He’s a two way player on a team built on defense so it works out well for them. You also have to factor in the fact the Pacers play in the East. It’s not even all star weekend..let’s give it a second before we jump the gun yelling about old coaches having success with new teams.

9. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

The primary point the OP makes is valid. Our roster sucks, and is hamstrung by the cap.

The secondary point, that we are a long way to contending, is right also.

The tertiary point that we need to make a trade or risk further purgatory is right on.

Where should we discuss it?

DaLincolnJones and Nikolokolus like this.
  10. DameLill379

DameLill379 #DameTime

Blazer and Jet fan
    They all go hand in hand so let’s start with the last since It is more of a current event than the rest. We need to A.)Break down and trade CJ for a two way guard who can actually play defense, doesn’t get caught sleeping on the screen, doesn’t get burned playing on ball defense and lastly, can shoot the mid range jumper. This is going to be VERY unpopular option based on CJ’s popularity here. He’s a home grown talent and he’s a sharp shooter...but his defense is holding us back severely in a western conference where every guard is a beast. Or B.) make a package trade for a starting wing scorer to stop the bleeding and cut down on missed opportunities from unworthy players such as ET, Harkless, ect. We need players who can finish at the rim as well as play on ball D. You make a trade for a great one or you make a trade for a few good ones.

PS. I don’t suggest trading CJ unless we absolutely need to pull the trigger on a deal that gets ourdefense and mid range shot effective. I wouldprefer that player be a superstar player...it woulddepend on the situation.

jlprk and BonesJones like this.
  11. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    CJ and Nurk for Bradly and Drummond!

Nate and DameLill379 like this.
  12. DameLill379

DameLill379 #DameTime

Blazer and Jet fan
    I would cream my pants, dude. LMAO. This would make us instant contenders...too bad this could only happen on 2K18 with the trade override slide set to ON.):

BonesJones likes this.
  13. theprunetang

theprunetang Shaedon "Deadly Nightshade" Sharpe is HIM

I don't disagree with a lot of what you posted. And it is well thought out and written, however, you make a mention of trading CJ and getting someone who could make our mid range shot effective. Your other points are valid. That one is not. CJ for all of his great attributes and flaws, is one of the most prolific midrange shooters in the entire league.

Here is a nice article with stats to prove CJ's shooting prowess.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2688230-nba-metrics-101-identifying-the-nbas-10-best-shooters

Darkwebs and DameLill379 like this.
  14. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Obligatory "if we were in the east" comment.

stampedehero likes this.
  15. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    So, let’s assume you’re the GM of a team that has this mythical 2 guard who is bigger, more able to defend, and shoots a better mid-range shot than CJ’s off the chart percentages, why exactly are you willing to trade him for CJ?

The Blazers having shortcomings does not necessarily translate to a realistic trade being available.

16. DameLill379

DameLill379 #DameTime

Blazer and Jet fan
    Look I never said CJ doesn’t have a mid range shot. What I meant was, is we need better mid range ability as a TEAM. I suggested trading him only if we can replace his mid range shooting with the same production yet also a player with Defense...lol where are you people getting “CJ doesn’t have a mid range” from? I suggest you re-read my post.

Denny Crane likes this.
  17. DameLill379

DameLill379 #DameTime

Blazer and Jet fan
    Appreciate the informative post. I didn’t not say CJ didn’t have a mid range shot though. I mean you only pull the trigger on a deal if it gets the team’s mid range shot better along with better defense st the 2 position ... Averly Bradly/Bradly Beal neither are realistic but that’s an example of the player I’m referring to.

Denny Crane likes this.
  18. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

download (3).jpeg

19. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    The comment that I'm trying to make is that it's great to identify a deficiency in the Blazers. Saying that we have to trade a certain player to fix that deficiency, without suggesting who would realistically be available to trade for, isn't particularly helpful. Do you really think that Stotts and Olshey aren't painfully aware of CJ's poor defense? Do you really think that if there was a player available who was a better defender and wouldn't cost much in the way of offensive production that they would hesitate to trade him? There seems to be some crazy thinking around here that only forum members are aware of the team's problems and that Olshey just isn't making a move because either he's too in love with our players or too stupid to make a move. The reality is that it takes at least two teams to make a deal and both have to get something that they want out of the trade. Suggest a deal if you think that there's one available.

20. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    It's just a little dark. Slap on some chocolate frosting and I'm sure Olshey can trade that for some championship celebration-worthy cake.

dviss1 and Chris Craig like this.