OT Weight Loss 2019

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Sedatedfork, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Sedatedfork

Sedatedfork Rip City Rhapsody

This thread is to talk about weight loss and help support each other in that goal.

I turned 43 in January. I have an amazing 2 week summer vacation planned and decided it’s time to actually get back on a program and hopefully not look like a fat American slob in Europe. Also, you know, get those HDLs up and flush out some of that arterial plaque.

1 month in and it feels great. I am down about 12 pounds, all of it fat, per biocomposition testing. Maybe plateauing a bit already. My goal is to lose 30-40 more pounds by June. I even, stupidly, agreed to do Hood To Coast. So, that will keep me on track. If you all read about some nerd who lived in his mom’s basement that thought he could go from 270 pounds to HTC in 6 months and died on the race, don’t weep for me. Just know I loved you all, and you should probably throw one of my top posts up on the Jumbotron at half time. Good luck finding that post.

If others are interested we could set up Fitbit challenges etc. for extra motivation.

PDXFonz, riverman, THE HCP and 8 others like this.
  2. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    Hey, Im in the same boat just younger. Used to work out a lot then hurt my knees and kids and all that, started last summer trying to lose weight, but I didnt stick to it. So here I am again, actually signed up to a real gym (sorry planet fitness just didnt have enough to do to keep me interested). Not sure what my goals are just want to feel healthy again, and play a ton of basketball.

Anyways good luck and if I ever pick up a fitbit Id be up to some challenges.

3. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    Thought I'd mention if you have a desk job, one thing I did 3-4 months ago was get a treadmill desk, it's been really, really nice took a week or two to get used too but I find it has helped me to feel better (my knees) but has also helped me in that I feel much more awake during the day (extra blood flow).

4. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

You are doing great and its more about a new routine when it comes to the types of food, complimented by exercise. Congrats!

THE HCP likes this.
  5. Sedatedfork

For me it has always been about exercise. Mentally if I am tracking exercise I will consciously eat better so as to not undo gains at the gym. Just the way my brain/motivation works. If I am not exercising I basically say fuck it and eat whatever the hell I want

6. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

I’ve always struggled with my weight but in the 5 years since retirement I really became a couch potato. Walking wasn’t fun because of a bad knee and a year riding a recumbent exercise bike took such a toll on my back it took another year to get it back to “normal”. I had no motivation until the doctor put me on 2 more medications for Type 2 Diabetes. Those two poisons were a wake up call, along with my cardiologist swearing that THE secret to weight loss was 80% diet (eating “correctly”) and 20% exercise. And what finally put me over the edge was watching a movie called “That Sugar Film” that does for sugar what “Supersize Me” did for fast food. After seeing that I elimated every milligram of refined sugar that I possibly could in this day and age, drastically reduced my carbohydrates (and am only eating complex carbs), started eating a shit ton of fruits and veggies and other “whole” foods, eliminated alcohol completely (except for very rare occasions) and started taking my dog on a low intensity 2 mile walk every day. Since August I’ve lost over 35 pounds, reduced my A1C from 9.0 to 5.6, dropped a waist size and then some, and have shed the two nastiest diabetes medications. My blood pressure has dropped and I feel a great deal better physically. My knee still bothers me but not as bad as it did before the weight loss, and that’s why CBD exists anyway......but the best part was being able to lose weight and feel better without killing myself AND I feel like I’m eating some really good tasting stuff. I wish I had been smart enough and mature enough to have done this 40 years ago.....keep it up Fork! And don’t get so obsessive with the exercise that you hurt yourself. Then you’ll end up being the fat American tourist in the wheelchair.....

7. Sedatedfork

Wow. That’s awesome and great dedication!

8. Hoopguru

UCD....super job bud!

9. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

What is your plan?

I'm trying to do 30 min of cardio everyday in some form. I also have a 25lb Kettle Bell I'm going to start swinging when I'm watching TV and shit like that.

Probably start walking around the neighborhood when it gets a little nicer. I was at a memorial service for my neighbor for 20 years. He was only 46 and died of an aortic aneursym. He was in good shape too, scary shit.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    riverman and THE HCP like this.
  10. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

Actually it has taken no real dedication whatsoever, just awareness. I love what I’m eating now and don’t miss the bad crap at all. The hardest part has convincing myself to walk everyday.....and now that’s he’s getting a consistent daily outing there is no way my dog is gonna let me slide. He’s more relentless than my wife......

And I strongly encourage EVERYONE who is in middle age or older to get checked for an aortic aneurisym! It’s quick and not particularly expensive. Aortic aneurysms can be genetic. My dad had one (that was found and corrected in time), so I went and had the exam. I was pleased to find I don’t have one. Again, everyone should be checked. It’s cheap insurance and peace of mind.

11. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Just to piss you off.

Tagged for later. My weight has really affected my daily life. Being 5'6" and close to 240 is not fun. It's affected my ankles and knees the most, but is also likely playing a part in the urinary issues I wrote about last week (of which I have yet to make an appointment to deal with). I had a scan about 2 years ago or so and they found fatty deposits in my liver, for symptoms that they initially thought was Hepatitis (it's not, thank God).

I'm not ready yet to cut the junk food and exercise. But we'll see....

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  12. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I have been blessed with a high metabolism. Though, it's beginning to slow down. Used to work out till I got married a decade ago, then stopped pretty much. My muscle has been slowly taken over by fat. I'm not fat by any means, but I do need horribly to get back in shape. Starting to feel the wear and tear on my body. Gotta stop eating junk food.

13. Hoopguru

JF
    Down load a free carb app on your phone a set a goal of 60 carbs a day, its easy do use and just use it as a guide. If you stay around 60 a day you will drop weight like quickly. I know I used one myself after I retired and found myself going weight. If 60 carbs a day is to tuff set your own goal based on what you think. If you just cut out bread alone you will be surprised how fast you lose weight! Good luck and once you get that app loaded you will find your motivation increases.

THE HCP, Sedatedfork and Jade Falcon like this.
  14. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Anyone know the best way to get rid of damn love handles

15. Sedatedfork

30-45 minutes of intense aerobic 5x a week. If I’m going to be exercising I want to get my moneys worth for time investment. Did 45 minutes of elliptical this morning and had 6500 steps by 6 am. Weights 2-3 times a week. Just started logging food. Haven’t decided on calorie goals for that yet. That’s about it. Going to talk to doctor about supplements

Chris Craig and EL PRESIDENTE like this.
  16. EL PRESIDENTE

Try interval training if you can handle it. Fat burns off quick when you do that.

Take some chromium piccolinate.
    Greatly reduce carbs.

If I want to cut down, I just eat chicken salads, steaks with no sides other than veggies and do the Bulletproof (butter) coffee in the AM. Its hard because I love tacos and shit like that.

Sedatedfork and Chris Craig like this.
  17. Chris Craig

butter coffee?

18. EL PRESIDENTE

19. Sedatedfork

So interval bursts of intense/less intense?

20. EL PRESIDENTE

Yeah. Like walk, sprint, walk, run, walk, sprint, walk in one minute intervals

Sedatedfork likes this.