Weird trade by the Celtics..

Discussion in 'Boston Celtics' started by mike18946, Feb 20, 2003.

1. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

The Nuggets and Celtics agreed to a trade Thursday just hours before the deadline, with point guard Shammond Williams going to Denver for center Mark Blount and forward Mark Bryant, The Associated Press learned.

Denver also receives cash and a second-round pick from Boston, according to two basketball sources _ one close to one of the players, another close to one of the teams _ who spoke on condition of anonymity.

The deal was to be officially announced later Thursday.

Williams, a fifth-year guard, was Boston's third-string playmaker, behind J.R. Bremer and Tony Delk. With the Nuggets, he will join Chris Whitney and rookie Junior Harrington as the point guards on the team with the league's second-worst record (12-43).

Williams averaged 7.3 points and 2.5 assists in 51 games for the Celtics.

In acquiring Blount and Bryant, the Celtics added size to a front line that has been hampered by Tony Battie's injuries and Vin Baker's ineffectiveness. Blount was averaging 5.2 points and 3.4 rebounds. He was a member of the Celtics his first two NBA seasons before signing with Denver last summer.

Bryant is being traded for the second time this season. He was sent earlier from Philadelphia to Denver in a three-way trade also involving Houston.

The Celtics will be the 10th NBA team for Bryant, a 14-year veteran who has scored only 13 points in 14 games this season.

Celtics don't exactly have the smartest management in the world givinng up a guy getting 7 points per game off the bench for two scrubs seems stupid to me..

2. Big D

Big D JBB JustBBall Member

I questioned it when we discussed it in Rumor Mill, but I guess they've all but given up on Shammond Williams. He's their 3rd string PG. They get 2 big bodies for the playoffs, which will help. This is a silent admission by the owners that the Vin Baker deal was a huge mistake. With the money he's making, they shouldn't have had to pull off a deal to get a better frontcourt.

3. snownation

snownation JBB JustBBall Member

yeah i think celtics management is dumb, but blount will probably be pretty good for them, he was doing good for nuggets earlier in the year when he was starting, and then lately he has hardly been playing, so his stats have gone down. and really there wasnt much room for shammond to play for the celtics because of jr bremer now, and then tony delk as his backup, and paul pierce plays almost the whole game at shooting guard. i doubt shammond is gonna play a ton for the nuggets either, since they play about an 11 man rotation everynight, but oh well.

4. Sasha

Sasha ...since the beginning.

Bryant and Blount aren't all that good. They were both on Philly's squad and Philly is a team in need of more big men and they didn't provide anything. So they could turn out to be a bust but then again they could have chemistry with the team and do good. Highly unlikely though.

5. Alley-oop

Alley-oop JBB JustBBall Member

Bryant and Blount are just really big benchwarmers.

6. magic1892

magic1892 JBB JustBBall Member

This seems to be a nothing trade for both teams and makes little sense. How bad is Vin Baker?? I haven't really seen much of him but clearly this is a signal of how poor the guy is...will he be below blount and bryant??

7. Big D

I don't think he'll be below them, but that fact that they needed to get two more guys his size doesn't say much for him.

8. dee still ballin

dee still ballin JBB JustBBall Member

I agree. This is anothing trade but I feel that Boston lost an alright scorer in Williams.

9. olskoolfunktitude

olskoolfunktitude JBB The Pig Pirate

shammond is going to be a good startingg point gaurd maybe great but he needs to go somwehere he can get more playing time. the celtics are fine at the point. bremer is a star on the rise and tony delk has trouble racking up assists but he can score. they needed more big bodies to make up for the uselessness of vin baker. for that trade. chris wallace will likely be fired by the new owners after the season snf theyll bring in someone aggreessive and give him tthe funds to make the celts into a sacramento. at least thats what they claim theyre gonns do

10. Big D

My prediction: Neither Williams nor Brenner will ever be anything more than an adequate PG. They won't be considered good, and they definitely won't be considered great.

11. olskoolfunktitude

bremer is already considered good. any PG who averages 13 points 5 assists and NO turnovers per start seems pretty good to me how bout you? and when shammond was with seattle I saw him more as i was a sonics fan for a time or at least i was in the area. he has a great athletic abillity and a decent shot too. his confidence level right now is very very low and he looks like he doesnt know what hes doing. boston may also have an impressive ouyng player in kedrik brown who is already among the better open court dunkers in the game, can jump as high as vince carter and plays an absolutley relentless aggressive defense. these pleayers souhld develope to improve the celtics to a degree but if boston wants even the prayer of the sniff of a championship itll take a deeper, more talented and mroe expensive roster that does NOT include vin baker. it may take another superstar type player to get them where they want to be as well thogh ive heard speculation of the orginization trading one of its two cornerstone players in the future in exhange for another top 25 player in the league such as elton brand or jermaine oneal

12. Big D

Sorry to burst your bubble, but no one outside of Celticmania consdiers Bremer to be good. He's an adequate PG at his best. That's not really an insult because he's only a rookie. I haven't seen anything from him that makes him stand out over the rest of the adequate PGs though. And about Brown, that was one of the most desperate compliments I've ever heard. He's one of the best "open court dunkers." Wow, so he's pretty good when no one's guarding him, huh? And he could flip 3 times before he throws it down, it still counts as 2. The fact is, right now, the Celts have one of the worst starting PGs in the league, and many teams' backups are better than Bremer.

13. Phi_Slamma_Jamma

Phi_Slamma_Jamma JBB JustBBall Member

I am a Rockets fan and i liked the way he played against Houston A while back. I think he can be good. But i would consider him with the other PG's in the league right now

14. olskoolfunktitude

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "Big D":</div><div class="quote_post">Sorry to burst your bubble, but no one outside of Celticmania consdiers Bremer to be good. He's an adequate PG at his best. That's not really an insult because he's only a rookie. I haven't seen anything from him that makes him stand out over the rest of the adequate PGs though. And about Brown, that was one of the most desperate compliments I've ever heard. He's one of the best "open court dunkers." Wow, so he's pretty good when no one's guarding him, huh? And he could flip 3 times before he throws it down, it still counts as 2. The fact is, right now, the Celts have one of the worst starting PGs in the league, and many teams' backups are better than Bremer.</div>

thats because no one outside boston whatches dem play a lot. i have just liike ive whatched all the players on detroit play a lot. and NJ and a whole lot of other teams. i whach a lot of games. i dont have a life damnit. what do you expect Im deformed for your information. I dont even LIVE IN BOSTON!! and not everyone can open court dunk like the best can. you know the guys who can, the jordans, the carters the wilkins, people with ecxeptional jumping ability who can finish, the kind of athletic ability that gives them a better chance in courts that arent open and kedrik his some UPs!! did you see the game where he jumped OVER tony battie to block tim duncan?? (i also whatch a lot of spurs games, honestly if i had to pick a favorite team right now it probably be dem) i tell u one guy who cant dunk in the open court, antoine WALKER, another talented player on my quote un quote "precious" celtics. And i know ppeople in boston. theres no celtic mania. boston has an increasingly creepy obsession with baseball even though it happens to be the home of the boston red sox. no one cares about the celtics since larry birds gone and the next potential dynasty was averted before it began when Len Bias and Reggie Lewis died cocaine relateed deaths. maybe boston has a hard time "going nuts" over the celtics cuz theres still a little of that old irish catholic racism in the blood. i wonder if people would talk mmore baout paul pierce who is an amazing player if he were white like larry bird...just to set things rate about any of my potential "biasies" or this fantastical "cetlicmania" you refer to.

and clyde, im not saying hes a phenom. but a rookie who just jumps in and puts up numbers on par with the decent point gaurds in the league theres no reason he cant score. he did win the scoring title in college, and can hit the three and drive to the hoop without ever turning the ball over. seriously, hes got less than .8 turnovers a game, and thats from even before he was starting incoorperated to. i think that shows something very useful in a point gaurd.

15. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Those Celtic fans sure looked interested in last years playoff game against the Pistons.

16. olskoolfunktitude

its a playoff game. theres about 20 000 people in the fleet at max. theres a lot of people inboston and new england

17. Shapecity

The Celtics sell out 90% of their seats ranking them #11. They have a great fan base. Once again arguing without the facts.

18. Shapecity

Also those 20,000 people chose NBA over their much beloved Red Sox on those days.

"no one cares about the celtics since larry birds gone and the next potential dynasty was averted before it began when Len Bias and Reggie Lewis died cocaine relateed deaths. maybe boston has a hard time "going nuts" over the celtics cuz theres still a little of that old irish catholic racism in the blood. i wonder if people would talk mmore baout paul pierce who is an amazing player if he were white like larry bird"

They don't talk more about Pierce because he's black, yet these same Irish Catholic racists as you call them cheered for Lewis & were crushed when Bias died. Weren't they black? Wasn't Russell black? Wasn't Parish and DJ black? You are off the rocker on this one.

The major media definately is interested in the Celtics. They are always on national TV. The Celtics are also a publicly traded company. So any shareholder of the team is DEFINATELY interested in the Celtics.

19. olskoolfunktitude

sure on that day. and maybe some people even whatched that game in steadd of their red sox but it was a fad. after the playoffs were over everything resumed red sox and patriots domination.

im not off the rocker. sure bill russell was black. and the celtics couldnt sell out a game in teh sixties even when they were racking up championships. theyre on national tv cuz they were in the conferance finals and theyre a contending tteam. people were crushed when lewis and bias died because they died it was tragic. and even the worst bigot in dorchestah could admit that len bias was a phenominal talent on par with michael and magic and those type of players

20. Shapecity

If they were racist and didn't care then they would not have been empathetic.

How ironic is this, a Laker fan arguing for the Celtics...

Well that fad is still going strong. Celtics are ranked 11th in selling seats, (5th for east teams).

As for selling out games in the past, well back then basketball didn't have the marketing force behind it as it does now. How does that correlate with what we are debating?

After the playoffs were over everything resumed... DUH When basketball season is over don't most fans then focus on their favorite teams in baseball and football...I know I do. The only thing b-ball fans can look forward to is free agency and the draft. And speaking of free agents, didn't you see all the fans and Boston bitch and moan when they traded for Baker? That was a fad to though right? The fans really don't care about their team. Gimme a break!