What do you expect from DAT?

Discussion in 'Oregon Ducks' started by Natebishop3, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

So I got to thinking with all this talk of Tyner and DAT down the road... what kind of role do you see DeAnthony Thomas playing for the Ducks next season? I'm assuming James will be gone, so is he the starter? Is he a guy who can carry the ball 20 or 30 times a game?

I really wouldn't be surprised to see Thomas keep a similar role on the team, returning punts, playing WR, and also logging carries as the tail back, while sharing the carries with another back like Barner or Carson. I don't think he'll completely take over for James because he's so useful in so many ways outside of just carrying the ball.

2. Targus

Targus Suspended

Keeping you safe. If I tell you more, you would b
    Tyner could have a huge opportunity at Oregon. Two of our 2010 top RB's (Williams, Seastrunk) left the program.

DAT would figure to be an excellent compliment to Carson/Tyner style or runners. I'm not sure that DAT has the frame to support 20-30 carries a game. I'd be concerned about injury and fatigue. He had crazy yards as a HS SR, but only carried the ball 114 times (15 carries a game?). I think your assessment is on - return man, WR, split carries RB - any position we can get the ball in his hands in open field, just not a between the tackles kind of runner.

3. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Yeah that's my concern. He'd have to put on some serious muscle to shoulder the load that LMJ carries. Plus, I think the guy is simply too dangerous to only limit him to RB. He's a weapon no matter where you put him on the field.

4. Targus

Targus Suspended

Like to see him 20-30 pounds heavier, which would give him a build like Simonton - a dependable back. Question is, would he lose that speed. LMJ came in around 180, I think, and has put on 20 pounds of muscle without losing a step. LMJ was also a heavy load back at 185, so I guess you never know - LMJ carried the ball nearly 500 times combine JR/SR year in HS though, so his durability was a bit more proven.

Loved when DAT plowed the ASU corner over in the EZ, lol. One thing for sure, DAT is in the perfect program and has the perfect coach for taking advantage of all his strengths. Spread the field, get the ball to DAT, expect 6.

5. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

D'AT came in at 173 at the team official weigh in. He's 5'9 just like LaMichael. I recall the same sort of concerns about LaMichael's ability to put on weight that you just expressed about Thomas. Pretty much everyone naturally fills out some between the ages 18-22 and I'd expect him to be at least 185 lbs by his Jr. year. As long as he avoids leg injuries he's going to be a blur. Can't wait to see Tacoi, Devon & French's speed worked into the mix too.

STOMP

6. Targus

Targus Suspended

Any idea why DAT didn't get many reps (RB carries) in HS? You'd think the #1 RB recruit in the nation would get more than est 10 carries per game. I think James carried well over 2 x. Did he play WR or catch out of the backfield - because I remember him having a healthy amount of catches, too.

He did play defense too - and had a good amount of tackles and return yards.

So, I don't know. Maybe the limited # of carries isn't that big of a deal compared with his time on the field.

7. BLAZER PROPHET

BLAZER PROPHET Well-Known Member

dental malpractice claims adjuster
    I see DAT as a 'slash' type player. Tailback/slot back/wide out. Getting him the ball in a variety of ways out of a variety of positions to prevent defenses from keying in on him. I think he can be a top 3 in the NCAA offensive threat. VERY excited about his future as a Duck.

8. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    If DAT is looking towards a future at the pro's he should be working on his hands. He could be a great slotback in the Sproles mold.

9. 3RA1N1AC

3RA1N1AC 00110110 00111001

2000 yards from scrimmage next year

10. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    I don't think DAT has the frame to withstand the punishment of a heavy-duty workhorse. I would expect him to get 15-20 touches per game.

11. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

did you think LMJ did? He's nearly the identical size as James was at the same age.

STOMP

12. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

bingo! He's featured in most of their special teams packages too

I'm guessing in the future when some of their other receiver speed talent matures they'll limit his time in the slot and use him primarily as a runner

STOMP

13. BLAZER PROPHET

BLAZER PROPHET Well-Known Member

dental malpractice claims adjuster
    Can you imagine him on crossing patterns? Woof.