What form will the offense take for 2012/13?

Discussion in 'Oregon Ducks' started by Ghost Pepper, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Ghost Pepper

Ghost Pepper Active Member

Last few years with LMJ we focused on the run first, pass second. However this year with the amount of super big TE's and new recievers including huge targets like Stanford and Allen do ya think the pass will set up the run? I think it's going to be damn hard for defenses to cover Colt, French, Brown, Stanford, Dungy, Blackmon with just a single helmet especially with Colt and Stanford. That would allow game changing screens for DAT and huge draw plays for Barner, not to mention the take off speed for both Bennett and Mariota.

So pass first or run? What would you like to see? Myself, I'd love to see our TE's really utilized this year and our deep ball assault opened up with Stanford. Make the other secondary have to play our receivers deep and that will let man on coverage with the Mamba and Barner and only great things can happen from that reality!

2. Wheels

Wheels Is That A Challenge?!?!1! Staff Member Global Moderator

I think our offense will be much more balanced this year than our LMJ years. (Not that hitching your wagon to the horse that is LMJ was a bad thing) Especially with Carson now being gone, and The supposed/possible frailty of DAT and Kenjon. And uncertainty of Ford and Marshall. Increased pressure has been put on you young gun Speedsters out Wide. Hopefully they are up to the task.

3. Ghost Pepper

Another factor will be with either Bennett or Mariota they'll take off if their check offs seem bleak where DT would throw high or weight to long. I see many 1st downs coming on broken plays with these two on the run. Very fast QB's!

I also think that when Colt, Stanford and French are on the field their size will take two players each to bring down and that leaves us a Mamba or Barner to roam on misdirection.

4. Wheels

I hope we use our TE's more as well. Some offenses just dont utilize them much. Mike Martz offenses dont seem to use them much in the NFL and Chip Kelly offenses so far have had some good ones in Dickson, and Paulson, but they werent thrown to much on a consistent basis

5. LikeLamike

LikeLamike Member

with chips style of play, its always run first.. the run sets up the pass.

When we lost blount, and LMJ had to come in as a true freshman.. we remaned run first. (then again we had masoli at QB) No matter whos back there carrying the ball.. I still think we will run the spread option almot 65% of the time if not more.

6. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

Darron Thomas has the top two season in Oregon history for passing TDs, is the all-time leader in TD passes at Oregon, and is seventh on the all-time Oregon passing list despite playing only two seasons.

The team ran a lot with LMJ, but they passed a lot as well. DT still holds the record for most passing yards in a BCS title game, too.

7. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

Chip's offense at New Hampshire was heavy on passing, depending on the QB.

Ricky Santos was perfect for that offense at that level.

8. Da_O

Da_O Abe Vigoda lives!

Kelly is a good coach and knows how to utilize his weapons. He formulates an offense depending on the strengths of the pieces he has. I believe given the talent boost in wide receiver we should see our passing game become a bigger part of our strategy, even though it already is a big part as pointed out by PapaG.

By all accounts, Bennett is said to be a better passer than Thomas, or more fundamentally sound that DT. So if he can keep his poise and become a leader, I dare say our offense in years past is barely at the peak of what it could be.

9. Ghost Pepper

All good points people! Would it shock any of you to see Chip flip the script next year utilizing our huge TE and recievers to create space for DAT in the backfield and in motion? DAT could be used the way Bobby Bowden used Warrick Dunn, Peter Warick and Amp Lee, but DAT maybe even faster which in my eyes means he just needs a hair bit of seperation time to make a whole defense look foolish! Can't wait! I see Barner as the featured back but DAT as the X factor in every game.

10. Ghost Pepper

BTW- what's the news on Byron Marshall? Does he have the talent right now to take over for Tra if need be on the depth chart?

11. BLAZER PROPHET

BLAZER PROPHET Well-Known Member

dental malpractice claims adjuster
    I say- yes.

I think we will do both. I think at times we'll run to set the pass and other times pas to set the run. If Huff stays, I think this will be the most balanced offense ever.

12. Wheels

I believe he wont be here till Summer so we dont know yet. Hope he is ready for some of a work load at least.

13. LikeLamike

LikeLamike Member

14. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

LaMichael came in for Blount following a Redshirt year... thats why he's so close to graduating despite being just a Jr. eligibility wise

agreed with the rest of what you wrote though. Until I see otherwise, I expect we'll remain run first

STOMP

15. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

...to argue the other side, Chip has stated a few times that his play calling caters to his personnel and that if his receivers were better we'd pass more and achieve a balance between run-pass. The receivers should certainly be faster this year vs past, so they should be better at gaining separation.

STOMP

16. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

not by my account. He played against two of the Pac-12's worst defenses and yet barely completed over 50% of his passes last season, while conversely DT completed 62%. BB has more raw arm strength, but he'll need to demonstrate improved accuracy and touch before he's considered a better passer.

STOMP

17. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2012
  18. LikeLamike

LikeLamike Member

hahahhahahhahahhahahahhahahahha <3 it

19. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    The truth hurts doesn't it?

20. Wheels

keep the truth to threads asking about the truth please. Quit trying to hijack threads that arent about those truths