What Happened to Our Offense?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bulls' started by rosenthall, Jan 22, 2015.

1. rosenthall

rosenthall Well-Known Member

Amidst the team's poor play, I think an important point that's been underdiscussed is the (d)evolution of our offensive schemes the last several months.

In the beginning of the season we were running a lot of read-and-react that emphasized a lot of flex motions, off-ball movement, and unpredictability in who would get the ball next. Derrick was used as a decoy a large part of the time to create space for others.

For the last two months that's almost entirely gone away and we seem to do almost nothing but iso's for Jimmy, Pau, and Derrick.

Our team Ast % has taken a dip the last month:

Team Ast % first two months: 59.8%
    last month: 57.3%

Our overall offensive output hasn't been a huge issue, but I wonder what kind of impact this will have in the playoffs. I'd rather the team take more time developing a team-oriented pass-first offense that's difficult to plan against than jumping for low-hanging fruit with a bunch of iso's that, while effective, are easier to scheme for by teams with very good defenses.

I think one of the biggest changes in the Big Data NBA is that there are greater returns to cooperation when everyone clicks (GSW and ATL being good examples) and right now it doesn't look like we have that on the offensive end.