What is our cap situation like now?

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Warriorfansnc93, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

Now that the dust is settling how does our cap situation look? Can we go after a big name FA now like Gerald Wallace, etc that has opted out of their contract?

2. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Don't know the exact numbers but I would say that we don't have enough money to go after a big name FA. Biedrins and Monta are due up for extensions that will put us back on the lux tax line when they kick in after next season (the last year of their rookie contracts). Then we lose Foyle's contract shortly there after which should get us some more breathing room from the lux tax threshold.

We're still well over the cap as far as I know and we'd be back in the same situation as before if we took on another big contract.

3. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

Without Richardson's contract, our salary will be 50 mils this season (plus rookie contracts). Since last year's salary cap was 53 mils + possible increase in this year's salary cap, I guess we are looking at something close to MLE type of caproom. Also, we now have 10 mils trade exception, and that will bring awful a lot of flexibility. Even if we can't sign big name FAs outright, we can use our trading exception to make sign-and-trade very easily. Or, we can make any type of trade easily.

That has been said, Richardson's trade just enables us to resign both Biedrins and Monta. That means, if we bring any player with big contract or big time FAs such as Wallace, we have to give up one of two. As a matter of fact, if we resign Barnes to MLE, I am not sure we can resign both Biedrins and Monta without paying luxury tax.

This deal brings tremendous flexibility to our club. But, by using the flexibility, we have to give up our own asset...

4. Warriorfansnc93

Lets hope we can use the trade exception towards Gerald Wallace. We let our last one go to waste because no one wanted to trade with us...

5. Kwan1031

<div class="quote_poster">Warriorfansnc93 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Lets hope we can use the trade exception towards Gerald Wallace. We let our last one go to waste because no one wanted to trade with us...</div>

So, you are willing to give up Monta for Wallace? Because, we cannot keep all Wallace, Monta and Biedrins...

6. Warriorfansnc93

Wallace is a bit more proven at this point IMO...

7. boogiescott

boogiescott JBB JustBBall Member

no but i am willing to not sign barnes for the money

8. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Kwan1031 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Without Richardson's contract, our salary will be 50 mils this season (plus rookie contracts). Since last year's salary cap was 53 mils + possible increase in this year's salary cap, I guess we are looking at something close to MLE type of caproom. Also, we now have 10 mils trade exception, and that will bring awful a lot of flexibility. Even if we can't sign big name FAs outright, we can use our trading exception to make sign-and-trade very easily. Or, we can make any type of trade easily.

That has been said, Richardson's trade just enables us to resign both Biedrins and Monta. That means, if we bring any player with big contract or big time FAs such as Wallace, we have to give up one of two. As a matter of fact, if we resign Barnes to MLE, I am not sure we can resign both Biedrins and Monta without paying luxury tax.

This deal brings tremendous flexibility to our club. But, by using the flexibility, we have to give up our own asset...</div>

I'm expecting the Warriors to use it to acquire Kevin Garnett.

Minnesota wanted a high pick and cap relief for KG. The Warriors jumped in and stole Brandan Wright after he dropped lower than projected.

9. Kwan1031

<div class="quote_poster">shapecity Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I'm expecting the Warriors to use it to acquire Kevin Garnett.

Minnesota wanted a high pick and cap relief for KG. The Warriors jumped in and stole Brandan Wright after he dropped lower than projected.</div>

I can be wrong, but as far as I know, we cannot combine exception and players. If that's true, we have to combine KG's contract with our existing contract. Without including Davis, we can only make Harrington + Foyle + Cabbage package, which will give Wolves a good laugh...

10. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

I wonder if the team can add someone like Boykins. I say keep Azubuike, perhaps Barnes or Pietrus. Of course I am saying this assuming that they would be reasonable deals, not anything like a Fisher/Foyle/Dunleavy contract.

11. Run BJM

<div class="quote_poster">shapecity Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I'm expecting the Warriors to use it to acquire Kevin Garnett.

Minnesota wanted a high pick and cap relief for KG. The Warriors jumped in and stole Brandan Wright after he dropped lower than projected.</div>

I don't see how that would work though. You can't combine a trade exception with more salary I'm pretty sure.

Am I the only one who likes the idea of holding onto a core of Ellis/B. Wright/Biedrins for the future? Trading for KG now would require Harrington and one of Monta or B. Wright minimum leaving us with Baron/Jack/KG/Biedrins. Will that allow us to beat the Phoenix's, San Antonio's, Dallas's? I don't know. But that lineup is only around for a few years before 3 of those guys start to declione and Nellie leaves, plus the cap is totally blown with 2 max players (maybe 3 if Biedrins has a giant contract).

Oh and with Minny going for Corey Brewer and passing on Hawes and Wright that seems like a move that points to them trying to make it work again. If they were definitely moving KG you'd think they want a great young big man to build around.

12. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">Kwan1031 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I can be wrong, but as far as I know, we cannot combine exception and players. If that's true, we have to combine KG's contract with our existing contract. Without including Davis, we can only make Harrington + Foyle + Cabbage package, which will give Wolves a good laugh...</div>

I think you're right actually, you can't combine multiple players. However, I don't think Branden Wright is considered an actual player until he's signed to a contract. The Warriors would be trading the rights for him to Minnesota.

Deal 1 - Adonal Foyle ($9,226,250 * 1.25 = $11,171,875) + $10M Trade Exception + Branden Wright

Total is $21,171,875 + Branden Wright's rookie scale salary

KG's total is $22M

13. Run BJM

<div class="quote_poster">shapecity Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I think you're right actually, you can't combine multiple players. However, I don't think Branden Wright is considered an actual player until he's signed to a contract. The Warriors would be trading the rights for him to Minnesota.

Deal 1 - Adonal Foyle ($9,226,250 * 1.25 = $11,171,875) + $10M Trade Exception + Branden Wright

Total is $21,171,875 + Branden Wright's rookie scale salary

KG's total is $22M</div>

Thats the thing though you can't combine Foyle's contract with the TE. You have to use the TE independently unless its with a draft pick or rights to a player (no salary with it).

14. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">Run BJM Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Thats the thing though you can't combine Foyle's contract with the TE. You have to use the TE independently unless its with a draft pick or rights to a player (no salary with it).</div>

This is how they can do it, breaking the deal down into multiple trades.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">
    A good example of this occurred in 2004 when Houston traded Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley and Kelvin Cato to Orlando for Tracy McGrady, Juwan Howard, Tyronn Lue and Reece Gaines. As a single trade, it could only be simultaneous since multiple players were moving each way. However, Houston was able to reorganize the trade into three separate trades. In one trade, they acquired McGrady and Gaines for Mobley and Cato. In another trade, they acquired Howard and Lue using an existing Traded Player exception from their earlier Glen Rice trade. That left them trading Francis essentially by himself for nothing, which generated a new Traded Player exception in the amount of Francis' base year value. From Orlando's perspective, it was a single, simultaneous three-for-four trade.</div>

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm

15. Kwan1031

Yeah, TE cannot be combined with players to acquire more expensive players. So, in this case, we are pretty much out of KG race. The problem is that we cannot seperate KG trade, since he alone makes 22 mils, and we somehow have to create roughly 19 mils. For Houston and Orlando trade, both Francis and McGrady's contracts roughly match. Therefore they could seperate trades...

16. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">shapecity Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">This is how they can do it, breaking the deal down into multiple trades.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm</div>

But you can't make multiple trades for one guy. You can't trade for half of KG in one trade and half of KG in the other trade. How can the Warriors make this work?

17. Run BJM

<div class="quote_poster">shapecity Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">This is how they can do it, breaking the deal down into multiple trades.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm</div>

I know how it works. You can't break Garnett's contract into pieces though. Maybe it would be possible to do like Harrington and Foyle for KG and then the exception and Wright for like Hudson or something but you can't trade Foyle for 10 mils of Garnetts salary and the exception for another 10 mils.

18. Warriorfansnc93

KG sounds nice for the very short term, but I like the sound of Wright for right now. I am happy with the trade and would not mind standing pat

19. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

<div class="quote_poster">Warriorfansnc93 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">KG sounds nice for the very short term, but I like the sound of Wright for right now. I am happy with the trade and would not mind standing pat</div>If long-term was the only consideration, I think Wright would be great. The problem is we have a short window because of Nelson....maybe a couple years...where we have a chance to go for broke. But, we just got younger and less experienced, and lost some scoring. This team probably just got worse in the short term, how much Wright can develop and contribute during the year we'll have to see. And if anything it looks like it'll be harder than ever to make the playoffs in the West this year. Chances are good that Baron won't be playing 75 games this year.

I think they still need to make another move for another playoff run this year. I suspect we're not looking at the roster we'll see on opening day. Very likely not KG or JO.

20. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">Run BJM Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I know how it works. You can't break Garnett's contract into pieces though. Maybe it would be possible to do like Harrington and Foyle for KG and then the exception and Wright for like Hudson or something but you can't trade Foyle for 10 mils of Garnetts salary and the exception for another 10 mils.</div>

Yes I understand, you can't break KG's contract up and I understand you can't package the TE with another player.

I'm not suggesting they do either.

Trade 1 - They could match KG's salary with Harrington, Foyle, Cabbage

Trade 2 - Then trade Wright + TE for Hudson

<u>Warriors Projected Lineup</u>

PG - Baron
    SG - Ellis
    SF - SJax
    PF - KG
    C - Beans