What should Fortson's punishment be?

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by sunsfan1357, Nov 27, 2003.

1. sunsfan1357

sunsfan1357 JBB JustBBall Member

How many games do you guys think Fortson will be suspended or should be suspended for his push on Zarko against the Mavs last night? Do you guys think he should be punished at all? Personally I think a fine and two game suspension would be necessary. The NBA always says they want to send messages that this behavior isn't condoned so they have to do reward the punishment necessary. Fortson has always tried to act like he was some hardcore player so that doesn't support Fortson if he does try to say that it wasn't intentional. Even his own coach Del Harris believed it was a dirty play.

2. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

I would say a fine and suspend him for about 3 games or so.The Phoenix Suns owner is very angry about what Fortson did as you would expect.He wants him out as long as Zarko is..6-8 weeks.He is going over the top abit but what Fortson did was terrible and to do that to a good young player who was playing his best basketball of the season is just plain horrible.

3. jbbKing James

jbbKing James JBB Banned Member

Colangelo called Fortson a 'thug' for that play, and I felt that was correct, that blatant push was uncalled for, that is how you end careers.

Fine and 3 games without pay minimum.

4. sunsfan1357

Frank Johnson also called it a "thuggish" move...Marbury gave a quote with a couple expletives about the play after he was done talking to Zarko in the locker-room...just a lot of tension in the situation...how long does it usually take to hand down punishment? A couple days?

5. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

Charles Barkely just said that he didn't think it was that bad and he shouldn't be suspended. I think that is BS. It was a horrible foul to say the least, unneccesary. He is a thug, a whiner, a loser. I don't know why the Mavs took a chance with this guy, glad the Warriors got rid of that virus.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Rookie Zarko Cabarkapa had both the best and worst games of his young NBA career during the Phoenix Suns? 31-point rout of the Dallas Mavericks on Wednesday night.

The 6-10 forward made his first start ? filling in for All-Star Shawn Marion, who sprained an ankle in Tuesday?s loss at Denver ? and put up Matrix-like numbers before going down with an injury of his own.

While flying in high for a dunk in the fourth quarter, Cabarkapa was shoved hard in the chest by Mavs center Danny Fortson and broke his right wrist in an ugly fall to the court. The 22-year-old, who recorded career-highs of 17 points and nine rebounds before being helped to the trainer?s room, is expected to miss six to eight weeks.

?I thought it was terrible,? said guard Penny Hardaway. ?I don?t think Danny tried to hurt him, but he didn?t want to get dunked on. I think he kind of lost focus on Z being as high as he was and pushed him, and he lost his balance? But it?s bad to push somebody while they?re airborne.?
    </div>

http://www.nba.com/suns/news/cabarkapa_031126.html

6. Jaremy Alexande

Jaremy Alexande JBB JustBBall Member

I think there should be a BIG fine and he should miss 5-7 games unpaid. Thats uncalled for, Z dunking on you wasn't even going to change the outcome of the game. I didn't really like Z at the begining of the year but he started coming around and i just feel bad for him and hopefully when he is healed and 100% he can come back and his game not be affect that bad by the injury

7. jbbKing James

If it was any player that is uncalled for, bottom line, end of story, no matter what part of the game.

8. sunsfan1357

I really didn't get what point Barkley was trying to make on Inside the NBA. Comparing football to the NBA? It was clear that what Fortson did was intentional. There is just no excuse to push a player who is stretch out that high in the air. Charles said people wouldn't be paying attention to it if Zarko didn't break his wrist, point is that Zarko broke his wrist solely because of the stupid foul. If Forton just would've taken getting blown by as another defensive assignment he messed up and not tried to take Zarko out then Zarko would be fine and flying high coming off a career night. Instead he has to wither on the bench for 6-8 weeks.

9. Ed!

Ed! JBB JustBBall Member

Fortson is a dumbass. I feel bad for Zarko, i hope this doesnt (bleep) up his shooting/career.

BTW Which wrist did he brake and is he left or right-handed

10. jbbKing James

Click on the link above.

Fortson got 3 games by the way.

11. Vintage

Vintage Defeating Communism...

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting King James:</div><div class="quote_post">Click on the link above.

Fortson got 3 games by the way.</div>

What a joke.

He broke someone's wrist, and got 3 games. Whoop de freakin' do. What does that mean? You see someone like Kobe get airborn, shove him. Especially in the playoffs. You might lose 3 games, but if you a scrub, who cares? You could take Kobe out of the series.

I am not saying Id do that, nor dondone that. I am just saying 3 games is a joke.

12. cula

cula JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Vintage:</div><div class="quote_post">What a joke.

He broke someone's wrist, and got 3 games. Whoop de freakin' do. What does that mean? You see someone like Kobe get airborn, shove him. Especially in the playoffs. You might lose 3 games, but if you a scrub, who cares? You could take Kobe out of the series.

I am not saying Id do that, nor dondone that. I am just saying 3 games is a joke.</div>

I agree with 3 games being too little, although it may be emotionally driven cause i like Zarko, but i do believe if it was a more well-known/non-rookie player that got hurt it would have been a greater deal with greater consequences.

13. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

3 games is not enough for this type of behavior. I think two options the league should have made was:

A. Have the Mavs match the 3 game suspension and fine pushing it to 6 games.

B. Allow the Suns to choose the 3 games Fortson has to miss this season. The Suns could even use these 3 suspensions during the playoffs.

14. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

It may seen harsh, but I think the only way to make an example of this was to suspend Fortson for as long as Zarko's out for. It was a malicious act, and I honestly don't see how Fortson should be able to step back onto the court when he's ruined another guy's season for at least 6 weeks, seemingly deliberately too. A hefty fine as well, as Vintage pointed out it could theoretically be used as a tactic, albeit a very dirty one but I wouldn't put it past some players, and the league needs to show it's not afraid to slap a big fine/suspension on a dirty act.

Maybe I'm going over the top, but I don't think Fortson should be allowed back on court until Zarko is fit.

15. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

The NBA needs to grow some balls. Suspending Fortson for only 3 games is a joke. You think that is going to send a message to Fortson and the League? I think not. What a joke.

16. nkwu

nkwu JBB shoehead

Shows how much ive been paying attention to this...didnt see it...didnt hear about it till now...damn.

3 Days is a Joke-Shapes and Desmonds Ideas are the best ones Ive seen.