What should Goldenstate do to make the playoffs?

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by jbbKnicks, Feb 11, 2003.

1. jbbKnicks

jbbKnicks JBB JustBBall Member

They have great players but I think they don't know how to use them.

2. Alley-oop

Alley-oop JBB JustBBall Member

They are playing much better than last year. Last year they had 21 wins total this year they have 20 wins and the season is just half over.

3. jbbKnicks

jbbKnicks JBB JustBBall Member

Thats true. If they finish with 35 wins that means they are one step closer to the playoffs.

4. saves the day82

saves the day82 JBB JustBBall Member

nothing

just keeping playing ball like they're doing and they're gonna make the playoffs this year. Everyone's getting better and better, it shouldn't be hard for this team to beat anyone but the dominate teams (spurs, kings, mavs)

5. VinsanityMK

VinsanityMK JBB JustBBall Member

6. jmantic15

jmantic15 JBB JustBBall Member

its too late now but they shoulda traded off antawn jamison for a better talent they probably coulda got houston, shareef or even mashburn any of those three i think would be better than jamison

7. jdub

jdub JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "jmantic15":</div><div class="quote_post">its too late now but they shoulda traded off antawn jamison for a better talent they probably coulda got houston, shareef or even mashburn any of those three i think would be better than jamison</div>

yeah, jamison is terrible, if they woulda traded him they woulda had a better chance of makin the postseason

8. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting jdub:</div><div class="quote_post">yeah, jamison is terrible, if they woulda traded him they woulda had a better chance of makin the postseason</div>

Funny how the past can haunt you. Has not accomplished much thus far. Hopefully when we see the benefits of have his contract off our backs and can sign a real star trading him will have helped. It has kind of hurt us so far. Imagine if we would have had Jamison during that 2pt 4th quarter.

9. Crossover

Crossover JBB JustBBall Member

Hmm... what to do to make the playoffs? Let's try winning some games.

10. jayserinos99

jayserinos99 JBB JustBBall Member

jdub, i like the quote from your sig. Dontrelle Willis is from Alameda btw.

warriorsfannc93, i'm glad we got jamison's contract off the books. even more so, we got fortson's contract gone as well. $6M for someone to be "sick" all the time like Fortson? The one noticed improvement that I see with the Warriors this year as opposed to last is the feeling that they play better team ball. With Arenas and Jamison, it sometimes lead to 1-on-1 a lot. With Dunleavy and Speedy there, the team is better in the half-court. As to make the playoffs, nothing simpler than crossover's statement sums it up nicely. We needs wins, and the upcoming 8 game schedule, we should be competitive in all of them (Lakers, Portland, Seattle, @Indiana, @Memphis, @Minnesota, @Chicago, Indiana).

11. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Crossover:</div><div class="quote_post">Hmm... what to do to make the playoffs? Let's try winning some games.</div>We are trying to have a serious discussion here. Please leave the sarcasm at the door. Thanks.[​IMG]

I for one am glad Jamison and his contract are gone. He was a scorer but he made no one around him better. He wasn't a go to guy nor will he ever be until he learns how to shoot and handle the ball.

12. jayserinos99

My biggest knock on Jamison is that he barely passed the ball. The guy averaged less than 2 assists per game! And was it just me that most of his scores weren't in crunch time, but in garbage time?

13. Rave

Rave JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Crossover:</div><div class="quote_post">Hmm... what to do to make the playoffs? Let's try winning some games.</div>

Especially improving your road games, why does that happen anyway? Maybe improving your roster as well. Cardinal needs to improve, Dampier needs to become even better then is and work harder while remaining consistent. Also trade NVE, you can get someone good or someone you really need with a player of that caliber.

14. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Crossover:</div><div class="quote_post">Hmm... what to do to make the playoffs? Let's try winning some games.</div>

Mr. Obvious has done it again what can I say.

[​IMG]

15. Purple N Gold

Purple N Gold JBB JustBBall Member

I don't think this is their year to make the playoffs. The door will be open, but I don't think the Warriors are good enough yet to jump on that kind of oppourtunity. Their biggest problem is executing down the stretch of games, sometimes they looked confused as who to get the ball to, kind of missing that "go-to-guy." J-Rich and Cliff have done a solid job at doing that this year, but they won't cut it against the top teams of the West. We know they can win at home, but the question is, can they win on the road? Playoff type teams have to show that they can win consistently both at home and the road, and I think that may be the brick wall that the Warriors will hit in the 2nd half. I would like the Warriors to make some kind of a trade this season though, moving Van Exel and possibly Dampier. Get a player that has some contract left, and try to make that run maybe towards the end of the season, and for the next season, they will also pick up some good talent in the draft. We'll just have to wait and see what happens though, I would like to see the Warriors make a run at it this year, but that may not be possible.

16. Rudeezy

Purple- You made two really good points.

1. The Warriors have no "go to guy". J-Rich has done well late in some games, Cliff has been clutch in a few as well. Van Exel showed us why he is Mr. Clutch and then went 0-7 in the 4th quarter against Memphis. We just don't have a consistent clutch player, plain and simple. Until we have that we will struggle to make the playoffs, or win road games. We have seen it all too often, the Warriors have a lead but fall apart in the 4th becasue nobody wants to step up and be the guy to carry the team down the stretch. Everybody is looking for someone else to take over. I do give NVE credit for trying to be this guy, even with his bum knees.

2. They must find ways to win on the road. This ties into my first point. They don't have anybody to step up late in games and you cannot win on the road like that although you might be able to get away with it at home. The Warriors must be atleast close to .500 on the road before they start considering themselves a true playoff team.

17. Custodianrules2

Look at it this way, if the warriors at least compete this year, it would attract some free agents maybe to head this way. Nobody wants to play for a team that just gives up and doesn't have the mentality to try at least. It's like Michael Jordan said about "I Can't Accept Not Trying".

18. jayserinos99

You guys said it all; there's a lack of a 'go to' guy and our lack of road wins sum it nicely. The second half of the season starts at home against the Lakers, Blazers and Sonics and then 4 games on the road against Indiana, Memphis, Minnesota and Chicago. All winnable games and if the Warriors can pull off at least a winning record against these seven teams, it should make for an interesting rest of the season.

19. Custodianrules2

Anything is winnable, plus the warriors have the edge in that opposing teams will underestimate them and play them down.

20. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">Anything is winnable, plus the warriors have the edge in that opposing teams will underestimate them and play them down.</div>They are starting to lose that edge quickly as teams are starting to find out that this is a pretty good Warriors team...at home anyway.