What should we expect from Noah Vonleh next year?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Boise Blazer, Jun 7, 2016.

?

Are you high on Noah Vonleh's potential or no?

1. Yes

35 vote(s)
    76.1%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    23.9%
  1. Boise Blazer

Boise Blazer Thread Lightly

BE had an interesting article with no new information per se but a good question nonetheless, What should/could we expect from Noah Vonleh next year? Or maybe more importantly beyond that. How close is he to his ceiling? Can he be more aggressive? Seems some people on here are very high and some are not all. So what do you think?
    http://www.blazersedge.com/2016/6/6...gency-whiteside-howard-horford-leonard-vonleh

2. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I wonder, sometimes, with his reach, build, and current skillset, if we would be better off in the long-term with Noah playing center. I guess it all depends on who we sign in free agency. Depending on the results, he could be starting, or he could be third string.

dviss1 likes this.
  3. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

I think you try to sell another team on his potential.

Hes probably the first guy to go with some value, if we try to sign dwight and need more space

4. Schilly

Schilly Well-Known Member

I think the biggest knock I have on Vonleh is he just doesn't show a lot of emotion on the floor. That said the dude is not yet 21 and shows a lot of the things I want to see in a PF. A nose for the ball is #1. He manages to be a decent rebounder in very limited minutes, even as a starter. He plays decent defense etc..etc... the on real weakness is like a lot of young players his jumper always seemed rushed and fueled by the adrenaline yips. Ball just comes out of his hands hot, yet he seems to have good touch when not rushing. Gmae just needs to slow down a bit for Noah.

Tunchi and dviss1 like this.
  5. Boise Blazer

Boise Blazer Thread Lightly

I did find the Al Horford comparison at least interesting. Probably a bit of stretch but it seems like their build seems somewhat similar. Its not a comparison that I had thought before

6. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

To me it seems emotion usually comes with confidence. Hard to be aggressive, get pissed, talk smack, etc, if you don't believe in yourself. I have no clue, but when you look in his eyes. I don't think that it is he doesn't believe in himself, but rather he doesn't think for himself. He needs to be told when to go down low and be tough.

I think he has the complete skill set to be a solid player/probable starter/possible star, but he needs to believe he can do it on his own.
    I trust in our staff and think they will be able to mentor this young mind into a very solid player for us.

TBpup likes this.
  7. PtldPlatypus

By this point in his career, Horford had played exactly 0 NBA minutes; he was just coming off his second NCAA championship. As a rookie, he started basically the whole season at center, putting up 10/10 and a 14.7 PER in 31 mpg.

Honestly, if Noah were our starting center this next season, that stat line from him wouldn't shock me.

WillG likes this.
  8. PtldPlatypus

9. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I expect Vonleh to make a big leap in his game by next season...he'll be working on his game this summer and I'm starting to think we've got a pretty good coaching staff to get him there.

Nate and Orion Bailey like this.
  10. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I was disappointed that I didn't really see much improvement from him as the season went along this year. Still cautiously optimistic that since he's so young he can still develop into a solid contributor, but I'm doubtful that he has star potential.

JFizzleRaider likes this.
  11. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

He just needs reps and confidence. He has some amazing tools, just needs to get more comfortable. If he were 25 I would be concerned, but he is soooo young.

12. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

It takes big guys longer.

That's what people told me when the injured guy flopped early and often.

Vonleh basically followed him in PER. About 13 last year and dipping below 10 this year. So I expect average at best from Vonleh because that's how he is trending

13. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    I expect the same I did last season. Forgetting that he's on the team at times, people bringing up Batum's #'s at times, and als0o Gerald Henderson's stats as he's playing well on his new team.

14. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

A few dickpics after his microfracture surgery

15. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    I am high on Noah's potential. The season after next. I expect him to show gradual improvement throughout this coming season and put it together the following year. Right now, he's still a kid in a man's game. He needs experience and confidence.

dviss1, riverman and Orion Bailey like this.
  16. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    I WANT him to be great, but so far I've been disappointed.

He was definitely the weak link in the starting lineup:
    1. We got way better when he was no longer starting.
    2. Only starter with negative +/-.
    He showed good 3 pt range during the summer league, and I never really saw it after that. Hopefully, he'll find his shot because he would be much more effective if he shot the 3 well.

JFizzleRaider likes this.
  17. riverman

riverman Writing Team

This season was about getting him thrown into defending starting big guys across the league..he is going to be a great defender...the offense is what I think will stand out this season and improved defense. He's probably got the strongest lower body core of anyone on our roster..when he plants himself..he's a rock and his wingspan is the wingspan of a rim protector. I look forward to seeing him next season.

18. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Reminds me of young Jermaine O'Neal.

Hope he puts in some serious work this summer (post moves & shooting stroke).

19. Trackjack

Trackjack Well-Known Member

He need confidence he got the skill set he just need just go out play the game. Sometime young players like Noah don't like step on toes of the older players so there always that hesitation when he gets the ball in his hands. That usually means your going turn it over or miss the shot. He can't look over his shoulder at the coach by telling yourself if i mess I am going get taken out. This summer is big for him he should tear up the summer league if not than you might want trade him.

20. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

I like his defensive potential, he should at least take a Biyombo level jump this coming season. I don't expect much offense from him other than a couple dunks here and there and the occasional three.

BBert likes this.