What the media avoided the first week of Super Bowl Previewing

Discussion in 'NFL General' started by Steelerfan_2005, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Steelerfan_2005

Steelerfan_2005 The Peacekeeper XL

I haven't had as much interest, for obvious reasons, in watching all of the Super Bowl hype the last few seasons. I can't believe how crazy the build up to the Super Bowl really is. But I think it's funny how the media avoids the matchup discussion as much as possible. I understand it completely. If they started really getting into the X's & O's this week, it would kind of take the wind out of the fans' sails going into the big game.

But what I did notice is that I think the Steelers are getting the bulk of the good press. If you watch "Inside the NFL" on HBO or even "NFL Total Access" on the NFL Network, everyone really seems to be leaning, but not coming right out and saying it, towards the Steelers being the better team here.

I predict that the media leans heavily on Pittsburgh this upcoming week with about a 75% or higher pick rate for the Steelers to win.

Of course I don't want the Steelers to be favored because they've done so well in the underdog role, but I think the media is playing this up very balanced, but deep down I think they fear it will be a blowout.

As long as the Steelers don't buy into it too much, I'm ok with whatever goes on this week before the game.

I still like their chances of bring home the city's 5th title.

2. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

There saving it for the 6 hour pregame show on ESPN the day of the Super Bowl..

3. J-E-T-S 1083

J-E-T-S 1083 The Original Jets Junkie

yea they gotta save all the info up or everyone will get bored of the shows

i too get the feeling that Pittsburgh is the favorite here, there is no real hype about the Seahawks which i personally think is better for the Seahawks

4. Steelerfan_2005

I think so too. But at this point, as a Steeler fan, I can't worry about what the media thinks of this game. I think the NFC as a whole is weaker than the AFC and felt like the winner of the AFC Championship Game would win the whole thing. Regardless that it's the Steelers playing for the title, I would have picked the AFC team with the exception of maybe New England. But rooting for the NFC over New England wouldn't have made me think that they could beat the Pats either.

So I guess we'll see. 7 more days to wait!

5. Cowher&Frown Co.

Cowher&Frown Co. nfl-*****s member

i think that everyone wants the steelers...but the steelers...the steelers even admitted that they felt like they were the underdog in the SB...in my opinion i like it that way...

6. Hawk

Hawk nfl-*****s member

The Super Bowl isn't about the game as much than it was a while ago.

7. vikingfan

vikingfan nfl-*****s member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steelerfan_2005)</div><div class='quotemain'>But at this point, as a Steeler fan....</div>
    Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa....

Your a Steeler fan?

8. vikingfan

vikingfan nfl-*****s member

I too have seen a lean towards the Steelers, however, I don't think its as clear cut as you seem to be making it. The AFC as a whole is better than the NFC, but I don't think the disparity is that great. I remember when the Steelers played the Vikings during the regular season. Although the Vikings offense didn't do much, the defense was able to keep Pittsburgh at bay for most of the game.

I think Seattle is a sleeper team and has been all season long. They have a good defense, a great coach, a solid running back, and a seasoned quarterback. Strangley enough, so does Pittsburgh. Maybe this is why these two teams got to the big game...

I actually think this is a fairly evenly matched game and will prove to be an entertaining super bowl. My only fear is that Bill "Choke them slowly with the run" Cowher is going to bore so many people with his philosophy of running the ball with any lead (although it is highly effective) that people will turn off the game in the second half...

9. Steelerfan_2005

You had me up until you called a 13-3 team a "sleeper". I don't think you can even begin to use the word sleeper in the same sentence as the Seattle Seahawks. My best friend, who was my best man, is a huge Seattle fan and we're lovin' the rivalry build up. But I follow them as close as any team in the NFL.

The one stat that you must not forget is that Seattle, in their relatively soft schedule, could only finish 16th in defense, and finish 25th against the pass. Even though most people think the Steelers secondary is "soft", they finished 16th against the pass against superior teams. Not to mention what they did to Cincy, Indy, and Denver, all very impressive offensive passing teams.

I hope that it's a good game, but trust me when I say, I won't be sad if Pittsburgh has a 24-3 lead at halftime. I'd like to see my boys get another ring.

10. bakes781

bakes781 nfl-*****s member

This is 1st time I can recall in a long time that one team isn't heavily favored over the other in the SB perhaps since Bills/Giants of SB XXV. With that said I wouldn't be shocked if one team embarrassed the other.