What to do at the 2

Discussion in 'Chicago Bulls' started by FatJerry, Oct 31, 2010.

1. FatJerry

FatJerry Member

Bogans needs to sit and take his place as the 3rd string muppet he is

Brewer and Korver are carrying niggling injuries and JJ is actually more effective defensively than both right now ....he might actually grow into the equal of Brewer ( fully healthy version of ) and is definately better than Kyle Korver.

So..... I would take a short term risk over the next half a dozen games and run with JJ in the starting line up and have Pip continue as a direct / hands on mentor that syncs in with Coach Thibs instruction - two wonderful teachers right there.

We might be at a stage where we have to let JJ play through his mistakes because the longer term upside in the 2nd half of the season may be well worth the gamble.

JJ gives you a 2nd ball handler on the court who can create for himself and others and I was actually quite impressed with his positional defense during preseason and against the Pistons the other night.. I want to see whether it can continue.

I actually think he has more work to do on his decision making on the offensive side of the ball moreso than the defensive end.

But if JJ continues to click through occasional mistakes ... let it ride .... he could be a genuine 2 way wing player and is potentially the most talented well rounded wing we have and certianly with the best size and athleticism.

If it works I'd have Brewer backing him up when healthy and Korver as our specilaist designated wing shooter

Watson backs up Rose and also takes some spot minutes at the 2

Omer / Taj run a tandem in backing up Noah/Boozer - and as to which one gets more minutes on any given night depends on foul trouble ( Taj does foul a lot ) and matchups ....

Free JJ

Chant it like a mantra

2. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Can JJ guard a two? Is he quick enough?

3. Good Hope

Good Hope Active Member

Professor
    JJ ain't THE answer. But he might just be able to make up some of what Brewer was supposed to bring us in terms of defense and energy and motion toward the rim -- if the young fella stays under the hypnotic spell that Scottie P has placed on him. :-)

4. bullshooter

bullshooter Active Member

Go back and look at what JJ did for the first 4 minutes of the fourth quarter. He took bad shots and turned the ball over. The bulls won because Detroit was worse with BG running the point, committing TO's and getting his shots blocked. JJ isn't the answer at 2.

5. FatJerry

FatJerry Member

I agree that JJ made two questionable plays in the 4th quarter and they were both on the offensive side of the ball around the 7 to 8 minute mark one after the other....an impulsive 3 point attempt at the top of the shot clock , and a forced full court pass in traffic

Both plays were when the game was still in the balance.

He also picked up a hand check foul on Prince which I thought was rubbish but technically I suppose they had to call it.

When Detroit were tiring being on the 2nd game of back to backs it was JJ tha brought the energy with some mongrel in his defensive rebounding , a dagger 3 , the shotblock that pinned BG's layup where he also scooped the rebound for the break, a steal , drawing fouls and getting to the line ...he, Omer and Derrick , in my view were the story down the stretch

But before we cane JJ for forcing a play ...a picked a couple up from Derrick down the stretch too such as the forced pass inside to Taj who got sandwiched by 3 guys and never had a chance of taking the pass

JJ's positional defense on the Pistons was quite good - as it was during preseason. And yes , I do think he has the quicks and athleticism ...but most importantly -strength - to play the big wing guard studs.

6. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Well said fatjerry!

7. bullshooter

bullshooter Active Member

I like JJ against bigger guards and wings like Joe Johnson, but not as a first option. His energy is great, and as long as he makes as many plays as he gives up he should be out there. But teams will eventually start playing the "lets see if JJ can beat us" defense and JJ doesn't seem like the type to back down. I don't like the bulls chances if that's more than a few minutes a game.