What was the worst move McHale has ever made?

Discussion in 'Minnesota Timberwolves' started by tycoon21, Jul 23, 2006.

1. tycoon21

tycoon21 JBB JustBBall Member

I know thier has been a lot of bad decisions made by him but what do you think was the worst in all franchise history? thier are a lot of them so lets hear your opinion.

2. sweebz

sweebz JBB JustBBall Member

joe smith.....[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. tycoon21

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting sweebz:</div><div class="quote_post">joe smith.....[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]</div>
    ^^^ no doubt that hurt us in future drafts.

4. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting tycoon21:</div><div class="quote_post">^^^ no doubt that hurt us in future drafts.</div>

The worst part about that ruling was the way the 2001 and 2002 drafts played out. A lot of the best players in the draft were selected in the 'Wolves range both years. Just think, the 'Wolves could have wound up with Gilbert Arenas, Tony Parker, Zach Randolph, Gerald Wallace, Samuel Dalembert, or Jamaal Tinsley in 2001 and then wound up with Tayshaun Prince, Carlos Boozer, Nenad Krstic, Dan Gadzuric, Dan Dickau, or Flip Murray in 2002. Even in 2004, the 'Wolves could have wound up with a solid role player off the bench like Anderson Varejao, Chris Duhon, or Trevor Ariza.

Imagine this starting lineup - Randy Foye/Gilbert Arenas/Ricky Davis/Carlos Boozer/Kevin Garnett.

Maybe McHale not having a pick wasn't such a bad thing afterall. I mean, look at his track record in drafts. This is the same guy who took Ndudi Ebi over the likes of Kendrick Perkins, Leandrinho Barbosa, and Josh Howard, just to name a few.

Hindsight is 20/20 though.

5. tycoon21

^^^ that shows another reason why mchale is such a bad VP.

6. sweebz

^^^ that shows another reason why mchale is such a bad VP.

7. tycoon21

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting sweebz:</div><div class="quote_post">he's not a Gm..he's a VP of basketball operations....[​IMG]</div>
    please edit so i don't look like an idiot.
    i always get those two mixed up.

8. sweebz

lol!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

9. purehoops

purehoops JBB KGSource

Great obersevation Voodoo, but I greatly agree with your wrap up statement. The talent in the drafts were there, but with his record, especially drafting - he would have found a way to screw it up.

I agree the Joe Smith fiasco was the most glaring the costly.

10. babybulls

babybulls JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Voodoo Child:</div><div class="quote_post">
    Imagine this starting lineup - Randy Foye/Gilbert Arenas/Ricky Davis/Carlos Boozer/Kevin Garnett.

</div>
    you wouldn't have foye if u had gilbert and carlos... u wouldn't have drafted that high... but i see what u're saying

outside of the joe smith move...how bout if latrell took the 3 yrs 21 million

11. TheFreshPrince

TheFreshPrince JBB JustBBall Member

The worst move ever was the cassell trade.

cassell and a first round pick
    for
    Jaric and lional chalmers

thanks mchale

12. tycoon21

lional chalmers? lol.

13. umair

umair "Never underestimate the heart of a champion."

Why are you guys saying that we could have drafted this guy and because we didnt McHale is a bad VP?? He cant predict the future and tell who is gonna be good.. Ginobili was drafted in 2nd round. Who knew he was gonna be this good? Rockets could've picked him. T'Wolves could've picked him. Anyone could've picked him..but no one knew he was gonna be so good. that doesnt make mchale or any other gm's a bad gm.. im just saying that you dont know how good a rookie can be..but if someone that is picked late and your team could've gotten him..doesnt make your gm bad.. because he didnt know.

14. Really Lost One

Really Lost One Suspended

Obviously Joe Smith. Think of all those players you guys could have drafted.........

15. TheFreshPrince

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Umair15:</div><div class="quote_post">Why are you guys saying that we could have drafted this guy and because we didnt McHale is a bad VP?? He cant predict the future and tell who is gonna be good.. Ginobili was drafted in 2nd round. Who knew he was gonna be this good? Rockets could've picked him. T'Wolves could've picked him. Anyone could've picked him..but no one knew he was gonna be so good. that doesnt make mchale or any other gm's a bad gm.. im just saying that you dont know how good a rookie can be..but if someone that is picked late and your team could've gotten him..doesnt make your gm bad.. because he didnt know.</div>

ummmm... the spurs knew he was good, just like every other steal. GM's think that every pick they make is gonna improve their team, and before you say something like this, look at our draft history, we had top 5 picks for forever and never got a good player until KG. Look at the bobcats, they have been in the league 3 years, and already have a better draft history than the wolves imo. Our second best pick is wally at number 6, but we still couldve improved on him BIG time.

16. purehoops

purehoops JBB KGSource

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Umair15:</div><div class="quote_post">Why are you guys saying that we could have drafted this guy and because we didnt McHale is a bad VP?? He cant predict the future and tell who is gonna be good.. Ginobili was drafted in 2nd round. Who knew he was gonna be this good? Rockets could've picked him. T'Wolves could've picked him. Anyone could've picked him..but no one knew he was gonna be so good. that doesnt make mchale or any other gm's a bad gm.. im just saying that you dont know how good a rookie can be..but if someone that is picked late and your team could've gotten him..doesnt make your gm bad.. because he didnt know.</div>

You're right, you will never know. Especially if you don't have the draft picks to actually pick them out of the draft.

What the overall picture is, by the deicison he made with Joe Smith to illegally pay him under the table - then let it be known cost us at the chance of having players that went late in the first rounds, and even the second rounds. We simply didn't have the opprotunity to pick these players because of the consquences we faced at the hands of McHales terrible management skills.

17. umair

umair "Never underestimate the heart of a champion."

Look at Marvin Williams.. He was drafted 2nd and sucked!

18. TheFreshPrince

^^^^^LOL, he doesnt suck, his is poised to have a monster year

19. purehoops

purehoops JBB KGSource

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Umair15:</div><div class="quote_post">Look at Marvin Williams.. He was drafted 2nd and sucked!</div>

I don't get the point you are trying to make. If your GM made a move to pay a player under the table, then get caught, and loose 4 years of draft picks... and players as Voodoo pointed out go in the area that you were going to be drafting in those 4 years slip by you, all because you paid (more or less) a role player under the table and was stupid enough to let it be known.

In hinesight, Yes, it is easy to say oh we lost these players who were steals in the draft. But its just those players we could have taken a chance on with draft picks we did not have.

20. TheFreshPrince

^^yup, plus then we go and sign (or trade i cant remember) for him anyways. That was his dumbest move, but the cassell trade just angers me. I have hated that trade every time i have thought about it. I never even once thought, hey maybe jaric will be good because we gave up an effing draft pick