What we do from here...

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by RangersFan, Jun 24, 2017.

1. RangersFan

RangersFan Well-Known Member

I really like what we did yesterday. Had to deal Stepan and his contract. No way would we have gotten value at 6.5 per. And we lost one year of Raanta, that is all. So to me it was a move that had to be made, the Stepan part, and Raanta needed to be included because Zona wanted him.

Clark speaks very highly of the picks, which is obvious of course, but right now today who knows. But what I like is both seem like very high IQ, very good skating, play making centers who have an edge to their games. Both are playing in men's league in their respective countries as 18 year old boys. That says a lot to me. Both also saw their roles grow as their seasons progressed, and expect even bigger roles on their teams next season at a very young age. I like what I have read about them, and if Clark is on board then so am I.

Looking forward I am excited because we have great cap flexibility right now, and only one bad deal (Staal), and we have a lot of good young players upfront and on D. So I like the opportunity we have. I also do not buy the Brooks article today that paints some negative picture for next season. We have 23 mill in cap space, you know we will use 20 mill of that +/- to add a dman, a C, a backup goalie, and maybe another piece. I think Gorton will make the moves that need to be made to complete this team over the next 10 days or so. I have faith in Gorton.

2. RangersFan

If you look at a guy like Shatt, here is my take on him. I only want him at a clear NY discount. If he wants a Yandle deal of 6 years with an AAV of 6.2-6.4 we need to pass, and quickly. If he is willing to come here for 5 years with an AAV of 5.6-5.7 I would sign him. That's it. If he wants to be a NYR and play at home for the team he grew up loving, then he signs that deal and is here and happy. If money is the driver for him, we must pass. If he does take the NY discount and signs here, I do think he would mesh well with AV's system, and be a good partner for McDonagh.

On Smith, not sure how that plays out. I would guess his AAV is 4.2-4.5 for 4 years or so. Seems reasonable. Do we resign him for that? Do we go after Shatt and Smith, or do we have faith in some of the kids we have here, and the kid we got from Zona to fill the 4/5/6 slots. Not sure what Gorton's thinking is on that, looking forward to finding out. Plus we do have Staal and Holden here, and you have to think they'll be in the 3rd pair mix.

Upfront, we need a C to add to the Hayes/Ziban duo. But if we get that C I think our top 9 looks darn good again. Hayes, Ziban, C we add, Zucc, Nash, Vesey, Buch, Kreider and Miller. That is a deep and talented top 9. Also has some good youth to it. And I would love a 4th line that starts with a base of Grabner and Fast (when he returns after missing the first 3 weeks or so). Question there is do they put a kid at C on the 4th line, or do they sign a Boyle type to win face-offs and C the 4th line. Again looking forward to finding out what happens.

So I'll say right now, I like how we are positioned. I expect Gorton to add a couple of pieces to complete the team. And I like the flexibility we have for the first time in a long time, and we add two 1st round picks last night, which is also exciting. Plus we have some solid kids who are just about ready on D, so good stuff to me.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  3. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

Of course the dumbasses traded their 2nd and 3rd round picks away. What else is new.

4. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

I like where they're at right now too. If they have Staal for another year and maybe it's easier to move him then, so be it. Maybe he comes back and plays better in a more limited role this year. Hanzal would be nice for a few years but may not be doable. Nieves will probably get the 4th line shot. I think they can fit both Shatt and Smith, then one of D'Angelo, Bereglazov or Graves with Holden. Or maybe they dump off Holden and use 2 kids.

5. strudwickisthebest

strudwickisthebest Well-Known Member

Brooks whining as usual. Burned up they dealt Stepan so now he's masking up BS that they want to sign Radulov to a long deal

6. RangersFan

He is pissed they dealt Stepan, and also has egg on his face when he tweets an hour before the deal was done that nothing was going on with the Coyotes. Not Brooks' best moment. Great insider...

7. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

They don't have the money or roster space for Radulov. Dosen't seem like a fit.

8. RangersFan

I have zero interest in Radulov for the money he wants. We'll find another C for a better deal.

9. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

Brooks is a moron. Rangers almost never miss when they draft these two way, euro players they are super high on. Just haven't had top picks to get at most of them. Brooks is fucking useless. Also, this DeAngelo has a lot to offer. He has a mean streak. Can and will fight bigger guys. Has done it plenty before from scouting reports. Great skater. Righty. One thing I liked is he's super accurate with his shot which 85% of the rest of the dumbasses on this team aren't.

10. strudwickisthebest

strudwickisthebest Well-Known Member

Especially Girardi, I won't miss that retarded slap shot from the point that he purposely would bank off the backboard