What We Learned Today...

Discussion in 'Oregon State Beavers' started by Targus, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Targus

Targus Suspended

Keeping you safe. If I tell you more, you would b
    1. OSU was a 27 1/2 point favorite.

2. Oregon State's defense is horrible. I've not seen this poor of pass coverage since the mid 90's. Sac St ran a one dimension offense and still converted on over 50% of third downs. OSU gave up nearly 300 passing yards. The play calling (defense) was some of the worst I've seen in Div I-A.

3. Sac St.'s defense is probably the easiest you'll face all year. Against that defense, Katz was sacked twice and INT once. He had 86 total pass yards. He was knocked down and rushed all game. The protection is terrible. The competition only gets bigger, stronger, faster and more experienced.

4. Fans are high on Agnew, but it's not all good. OSU can get away with running Agnew 33 times vs Sac St - mainly out of necessity because nothing else was working. But, the kid is on the small size and learning. If he's asked to repeat the same vs Wis or other Pac teams, he's going to get hurt.

5. I hope a different team shows up to face Wis, otherwise it will be a 40+ pt defeat.

6. The Beav player body language and execution reminded me the Beavs of the 80's and early to mid 90's. Hands on hips. Walking onto field with heads hung low. Hands on knees between plays. Players sitting on the sidelines disengaged from the game. A HC standing on the sidelines with his arms cross and/or hands in his pockets with not much to say. The team lacked motivation and played flat and passionless. Of course, the BOO's from the home crowd never helps either... If this attitude carries over to next weeks prep for Wis and further into Pac play, OSU is in deep trouble.

Since I don't know jack about OSU (according to a poster) yet, I was the only one calling a close game and cautioning on the outlandish predictions AND advising no one overlook Sac St., does pride allow for street cred? I'm standing by what I've said. This team lacks depth and skill and is probably the weakest OSU team fielded in a long time. 3-5 wins.

It's an important year for Riley and so far it's not looking good.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  2. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    You were the only one calling a close game? Really? I think if you read the threads you would say that I thought the game could be uncomfortably close. And where do you come up with this crap about it being an important game for Riley? We sucked yesterday. No question about it. One of the worst losses I can remember. However, I'm not throwing in the towel. It was game 1. We have the rest of the season to go. You should worry about the Ducks. They looked like shit too. Just as I predicted. GO BEAVS!

3. Targus

Targus Suspended

Keeping you safe. If I tell you more, you would b
    Show me anyone else who predicted a close game... You agreed with "could" potentially be close but predicted a 42-10 score.

Chatter among donors is that this is an important year for Riley. Folks aren't happy with the losing season last year and have higher expectations. Riley is now in his 11th season with OSU and has never ended the season in the top 15, despite taking over for Erickson who has 3/4 winning seasons and an 11-1, 4th AP season end. Rumor is folks are not happy with player development and all the injuries - ie, the firing of head trainer. Back to back losing seasons, or a 3-4 win season and it sounds like there could be more changes. This is just what I hear....

As a fan, I'm more concerned right now with OSU. The loss to a subdivision, 5 loss team should be a wakeup call, not something to ignore. You've been denying my claim that this OSU team lacks depth and skill but a loss to a team in the same DIV as Portland State, Idaho St and others should awake some kind of urgency here. Does it?

Again, these are my opinions on a program I've followed since the 80's. It's based on what I've heard from others too. If you think my opinions are wrong, I totally respect that. Let's chat. If you tell me I don't know jack about the program, well...

Regarding the Ducks....ouch. That loss really hurts. I was among a lot of fans that had NC aspirations but it probably won't come to pass. I think the goal now is to three-peat as Pac Champs and get back to the Rose Bowl and actually win. Chip is now 0-4 vs OOC top 20 teams. That has to change. Ducks have a legit opportunity to run the rest of their schedule, if they eliminate the turnovers and mindless penalties. Any loss hurts, but a loss to LSU, when we had more yards, firstdowns, higher rate of 3rd down conver is something to build upon. I see similarities to the start of 2009 - manhandled by Boise St., and we went on to rally and win the Pac. LSU is just a tough draw for a first game with a retooled OL. Our defense did well despite being without our best cover guy and best LB - who were suspended for disciplinary/alcohol related issues.

The goal is an 11 win season. 10 is acceptable if it gets us to the Rose Bowl. :pimp: I'm one fan who is selfish and tired of watching my team lose in big bowl games (in person) so it's time. Chips got a loaded and experienced roster so it's time to make it happen!

You have a good recruiting class going.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011