What We Learned Tonight...

Discussion in 'Oregon Ducks' started by Targus, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Targus

Targus Suspended

Keeping you safe. If I tell you more, you would b
    1. Kelly is now 0-4 vs non-conference top 20 teams. RB and NC appearances are great, but this is a trend which can't continue if we want to be respected as a top national team. If it continues, we'll simply be known as a good Pac team.

2. Oregon lost this game because they weren't focused. They didn't hold onto the ball and they made stupid mistakes that lead to penalties. If you expect to hang with teams like LSU, you can't be so careless.

3. Oregon had more total yards, more first downs and completed 50% of third downs to LSU's 33%. Without the TO's, Oregon wins this game.

4. Beard and Rice were outstanding. Excellent kicking game.

5. DAT is the real deal. He just needs time. I can't image being a FR and going up against an LSU defense for kick/punt returns and as RB. The turnovers were killer, but to be expected. He'll grow and learn.

6. Our defense is solid. The weakest point was another FR who was replacing Harris. I seriously see a different game if Harris played -- two/three less fumbles on returns, possibly a TD reversal and different outcomes on several passes. It hurt bad to have him out, but a punishment is a punishment.
    Are you done being a jackass, Harris? We need you...

7. Our OL will be good. They went up against one of the best defenses in the country tonight. By mid-season, this will be a dynamic group. Upcoming Nevada and Missouri St will be excellent preps.

8. This game resembled another opening game - 2009 vs Boise. In that game, Oregon converted ONE third down, Broncs had more than twice as many yards, James/Blount combine for less than 50 rushing yards and Masoli had 121 pass yards with 1 INT. IMHO, that stupid Boise team, despite going undefeated in the season, was nowhere near as talented as LSU. The L stings, but there are positives to take away. We rebounded then and can do the same this year.

Oregon will rebound. We have a good chance of running the Pac and going back to Pasadena IF the team comes together and eliminates the turnovers and penalties.

Go Ducks!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  2. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

We simply learned that the SEC is the absolute most dominant football conference in the country

3. Kaydow

Kaydow Well-Known Member

Construction Sales
    1) Are you saying that the Pac-10 is weak then? Because the Kelly-led Ducks have beaten #6 Cal, #4 USC, and a Stanford team that ended the season at #4. More significant than the losses to ranked teams being non-conference is the fact that the losses come when teams have an extended period of time to scheme against us.

2) They lost because LSU was better. Without question, the to's burried us. Had they protected the ball, I still don't think they win that game. Our playmakers are all in the backfield, and with a defense as athletic as LSU's you can't be one dimensional. Every time it looked like LaMichael had a seam, an LSU defender would seemingly come out of nowhere to close the gap. I mean, defensive ends chasing him down in the backfield? Gotta tip your cap to that.

3) More total yards is misleading. Up big by mid 3rd quarter, LSU went to conservative play calling and let us have some stuff underneath. Without the to's, they still win by more than 1 score.

4) Agreed.

5) Agreed again. I liked his ability to catch the ball. I wish that they didn't have to rely on him so much last night & that he could have been eased in to the line-up a little bit. First college game vs a defense like that is tough for anybody.

6) I'm not sold on the defense. I think Jarrett Lee was bad or LSU wins huge. I like Michael Clay, John Boyett & Eddie Pleasant t a lot, but I sure miss Matthews, Paysinger, Bair, & co. The defensive line looks average. They had to bring 8-9 guys in the box to slow down the run game. Can you imagine if Andrew Luck was back there instead of Jarrett Lee? Ouch.

7) Not sure about the offensive line. It's hard to gauge because they were playing against arguably the best defensive line in the nation, but nothing I saw impressed me last night.

8) The Boise game was much different to me. In that game I felt the whole time that if we could just get into a rhythm, we could take over the game. Last night I felt like the bigger, stronger, more athletic team was LSU. Even in the 1st half I felt like we would have to play almost flawless in the 2nd half to win. We didn't see 265 lb. DE chasing down LaMichael in the Backfield vs BSU. I agree that we can recover. I think it's evident that this team isn't as good as last years. Still, a conference championship and RB appearance are within reach.

4. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Things I learned:

1. Our defense played solid, but I felt like we definitely missed Matthews and Bair. Didn't have as much pressure on the QB as I would have liked.

2. We desperately miss Maehl and Davis. We don't have the vet receiver that Thomas trusts for those third down plays. Maehl saved our ass so many times last year and we just didn't have that guy in the LSU game.

3. I personally miss having a power back like Blount or Droughns.

5. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

I wouldn't mind getting an SEC team to come play at Autzen. That was no "neutral" site last night.

Anyhow, I take way more positives from the game than negatives. The defense played very well considering how much they were on the field, and DAT proved that there were holes to be run through. LMJ looked not quite as quick as last season, and Barner, even before his injury last night, seemingly has lost the ability to run aggressively since his concussion against WSU. I think he should be moved to WR, and that DAT should be LMJ's primary back-up provided he can hang onto the ball.

I guess I don't know why everybody is freaking out. It's not like LSU rushed for 350 yards and just dominated completely Oregon. Turnovers and penalties were why Oregon lost the game, not because they couldn't match up with LSU.

6. Targus

Targus Suspended

Keeping you safe. If I tell you more, you would b
    Good points, all. Comparing this game to 2010: LSU offense would have ranked 10th among Oregon's 13 opponents in terms of total yardage gained.
    LSU defense would have ranked 2nd in terms of holding Oregon to fewest yards.

Every game seems to take on a life of its own, but according to the stat above, we have a good defense to build upon. Considering this happen w/o our best cover and best LB, we'll be just fine. I actually think our DL will overachieve this year. More often than not, they stuffed the run last night.

Being a "stat-slut", it was interesting to see that last year against Auburn, LSU had 115 rushing yards and Lee (despite playing half the game) was 8/14 and LSU had combine 128 passing yards. In the Cotton Bowl, LSU has 288 rushing yards and 446 total yards.

Against Oregon's defense, LSU had under 100 passing yards and 175 rushing yards on 48 carries for under 4 yards per carry. On average, Oregon gained more yards per play.

So, despite the score, I think our defense is going to hold up VERY well this year. We faced an experienced and HUGE OL - 2 3v, 2 2v, 1 1v, who go 316, 330, 295, 305 and 302. Ware is 225. Anyway, I expect good things from our defense against NV, Miz St and the Pac schedule.

Kelly is a great coach working with mature and experienced kids at key positions. We'll improve on those 4 TO's and 12 penalties.

Go Ducks!

7. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I thought our defense did exceptionally for three guarters, and simply wore down at the end. Our inexperienced secondary and our lack of a consistent pass rush did hurt us a bit. I was very proud of our guys. They had a huge burden placed on them and for most of the game they were able to shoulder it. It's unlikely that they will face many backs like Ware.

8. Wheels

Wheels Is That A Challenge?!?!1! Staff Member Global Moderator

I think many others learned (a few of us already knew this) just how much has to go right, and how much luck can be involved in getting to the Natty (i.e. the fumble that fell and perfectly deadened for it seems like an eternity before Ware for LSU fell on it)

9. Wheels

Wheels Is That A Challenge?!?!1! Staff Member Global Moderator

QF-effing-T.. I could understand if Oregon got the floor wiped with them. The loss sucks sure, but I am coming away from this game about 500 times more optimistic than I did after the BSU opener 2 years ago.