Notice What would you grade the season in retrospect?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Stevenson, May 16, 2018.

?

What grade do you give this past season

1. A

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. B

13 vote(s)
    21.0%
  3. C

31 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. D

12 vote(s)
    19.4%
  5. F

4 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. Stevenson

Stevenson Old School

Writer
    So, now that our season (and sweep) is well in the rearview mirror, what is your take?

For me, it was another season of fool's gold.

They were mediocre and boring until January. Then they did their annual spring fake-out where they smoked it for 6 weeks. And then not even a single win in the first round because we just couldn't figure out the Pelicans' genius of a defensive plan - double-teaming Dame.

Neil and Terry and Dame and CJ will tell you that we got 3rd seed in the west, but we all know how precarious that was. And with the draft that just happened, and the Lakers with a ton of money this offseason, and Jerry West with the Clippers, I think the playoffs are iffy at best next year.

I give the season a C at best.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    jlprk, Rastapopoulos and Natebishop3 like this.
  2. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

It's what I expected at the start of the season: a solid regular season and a playoff fizzle. The lows of the first half and the highs of the second half made it more of a roller coaster than anticipated, but I give it a B- or a C+ for sticking to the status quo.

3. Gronk Brady

Gronk Brady Well-Known Member

Easy F for me... the regular season means nothing if you can’t win in the playoffs. Getting swept by a Pelicans team that every single expert out there projected us to beat... and not only lost, but went down at least 15 points in 3 of 4 games... absolutely pathetic... cost us like 10 spots in the draft to get swept. And to be honest, besides the 13 game win streak the regular season was super frustrating... losing to bottom feeders... and struggling against teams with their best player out. Only positive I though would be that Neil would see the McLillard duo exposed... but that SOB is so stubborn he refuses to entertain trading CJ

4. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

B
    Won 9 more games than I predicted.

5. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    I gave it a C, and that feels generous. The regular season was maddening up through January. The team was super inconsistent, the rotations never made sense, it was just frustrating.

Then like they have for a few years now they took off in March, and for a bit had me fooled into thinking they would win the 1st round and be competitive in the 2nd round.
    The end of the regular season scared me, the lost too Memphis shouldn’t of happened even with Dame gone. The lost to Dallas was even more baffling. Then they lost to a bunch of times trying to get into the playoffs, which I guess was an excuse that I accepted.

Then they beat Utah who flat out needed that game, and I thought ok were ready for the playoffs. I was wrong about that.
    They did end up the 3 seed so zi guess it sasnt a disaster though.

6. Gronk Brady

Gronk Brady Well-Known Member

They played most their games against teams with their best players out... only 3 games from being out of playoffs... DEAD LAST in NBA I’m assists and fast break points... DEAD LAST

7. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

I know, I watched every game.
    And yet they STILL way out performed my expectations. Thus the good grade.

calvin natt and hoopsjock like this.
  8. EGame

EGame "You're the only one of these fools I trust"

The regular season? Probably about a B or so. It is true we had some fortunate breaks on meeting good teams without there star player, but at the same time, we did beat some good teams and had an awesome win streak. Dame was playing phenominal and Nurk started to come on late. Problem is the end of the season left a bitter taste in everyones mouth when a lot of players started to shrivel up namely CJ and we started losing to flat out shit teams. Of course I wont even mention a word on the playoffs, but as is the regular season was a relative success which ultimately doesn't mean much.

THE HCP likes this.
  9. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    Mediocre.

Playoff pretenders.

It feels like John Nash is still calling the shots.

10. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

I'm still waiting for our division championship parade and to hang that banner in the rafters!

11. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

F.

Confirmed playoff chokers until proven otherwise.

12. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

It’s a C at best for me and this is what I have given. The 49 wins and third was misleading as plenty of the West teams went through abnormal injury crises this season and exceptionally large number of teams tanking on purpose - Memphis and Dallas took it to a completely new level this season with their efforts to get high picks, 4 of the top 5 draft teams are from the West.

If everyone is trying and is healthy then we would have probably won 44 games at best which isn’t a huge progress. Then take into consideration our playoffs performances and it doesn’t look great.

BonesJones likes this.
  13. stampedehero

stampedehero Make Your Day, a Doobies Day Staff Member Moderator

Part Time Building Inspector
    As usual, the team couldn't get through the first playoff round, they failed in the Texas road trip prior to the playoff round and could not get one win in the Playoff round. The entire goal of any NBA team is to succeed in the playoffs. The regular season is secondary. = C

14. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Completely overacheived, but iso ball doesn't work in the playoffs. This team is not ready to compete yet, but because they played better than they should have, I gave them a B

HailBlazers, THE HCP, BBert and 2 others like this.
  15. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

The first half of the season was so up and down it was very frustrating, no doubt. That 6-game home losing streak.. However, the second half of the season was amazing, and really enjoyable. The playoffs were disappointing, obviously, but it was only a week of disappointing play. Overall, even though it didn't result in playoff success, I derived a lot of joy from watching the team this year, especially in the games I was able to attend. And really, that's all I need from my Blazers.

Can't give them an A based on the playoffs, but definitely a solid B.

16. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    B plus for the regular season.

F for the playoffs.

THE HCP likes this.
  17. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    C. I can't give them a higher grade when they got swept by a lower seed in the playoffs.

18. SportsAndWhine

SportsAndWhine Dumbass For Hire

I give them a D; you can do great on your homework, but when you fail the test at the end as hard as they did, it's tough to get a passing grade. No credit towards their major this semester. They need a new tutor who specializes in test prep.

19. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

I gave it a C. It was an up and down season. I would have given it a B, but the playoffs screwed that up....

20. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    I realize this is subjective and I respect the opinion of those giving it a B. However, I kind of feel like I was being generous giving it a C.

It’s like a class where the final is 30-40% of the grade and they decided to not take the final.
    Then in the regular season they had an amazing stretch in March, but were kind of a frustrating team most of the rest of the season.
    Now if it’s graded on a curve I can understand the B a little better because I’d venture to guess that a lot of fans feel very similar about there teams. There was a lot of kind of good but not good enough teams that were extremely inconsistent.
    Just interesting to me that there are Blazer fans giving the overall season a B. -Not saying your wrong, I just have a hard time seeing it.